fire walk with me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So let's get this straight. I don't have a wireless router and I won't buy one. So don't bother telling me to get one. But I can't keep using my neighbor's internet connection forever. I've been looking into one of those USB dongles that create a Wireless network[or Ad Hoc, I believe it's called] but I've read from several sources that the Wii isn't compaible with Ad-Hoc.

I was originally planning to buy this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4309

It's really cheap and it seems to work with NDS and PSP. But I'm really looking something that works with Wii. But here's the part I don't get.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3345

How does this one work with Wii but the first one doesnt? Aren't they the same exact thing? And if Wii doesn't support Ad Hoc, how does this one work with it? I am seriously confused about this, if anyone can help me with that, I'll be really glad.

Jaejae

Superfly Don't Used
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
They should all work fine. Nintendo makes one aswell that works with the Wii, idc about the price though.
Also, get a wireless router
tpi.gif

BigX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
the USB WLAN Dongles used to worke with Nintendo's WiFi-Stick work in some kind of special infrastructure mode. But you will need a special firmware (along with one of the few sticks providing this mode)
If you want it quick and easy, get the nintendo stick for you wii!
I bought one and its quite easy to use...
If you plan to use more WLAN devices you should get a router or access point sometime...its better and safer to use.

Icarus

fire walk with me
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh well, WiFi Link seems to be compatible with all of them. Even though it's a little costy, I guess I'll go with that since they claim it works with all.

S

scubersteve

But can't you make your Nintendo wifi dongle **magical** by downloading some driver/program/exploit?

And by magical, i meant compatible with any wifi device.

Maybe I read something else...

linFox

Trophies
Website
www.linfoxdomain.com
XP
Country
But can't you make your Nintendo wifi dongle **magical** by downloading some driver/program/exploit?

I read this as well just dont kno wabout it sorry :0

Yes, this is possible. Because the Nintendo WiFi dongle uses a standard WiFi chipset (the Ralink RT2500 as I recall), it was fairly easy for someone to modify a driver and WiFi utility to work with it as a standard WiFi Access Point.
You can download the needed files from my Downloads Page (nin_wifi_Fullpack_NEW_2933.rar under the Essential Utilities category), should you want to do it.

wabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

It's indeed possible, I've done it myself. It works even better than with the official Nintendo drivers and i can connect my Wii, DS, PSP and my friends laptops without any problems. Also. homebrew works online (they don't with the official nintendo drivers).

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country

Yes. I've played hundreds of rounds of PS3 CoD4 with it.
rofl2.gif

May not work for everyone, though.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ninte...wifi+usb+softap

The advantage of this is that it can work in Station mode as well - I've used the dongle thing to leech off my neighbors' WiFi several times when our internet connection was down.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.