Homebrew Wii 240p emulators

stol1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
As i am going to use Wii mostly for emulators i am asking which ones output 240p?
I have checked so far these output 240p:

Retroarch stella
Atari2600

Retroarch fmsx
MSX 1/2

Retroarch Atari800
Atari 8bit computers

Retroarch Fuse
Sinclair ZX Spectrum

Retroarch crocoDS/cap32
Amstrad CPC

Retroarch Final Burn Alpha
CPS1
CPS2
Arcade
Neo geo

Retroarch mame2000/2003 (RA-Hexaeco)
Arcade

FCE Ultra GX, retroarch nestopia
NES

SMS Plus, Retroarch genesis plus gx
Master System

Genesis Plus GX, Retroarch genesis plus gx
Mega drive
Master System
Game Gear
Mega CD

SNES9x GX, retroarch snes9x
Super Nintendo

Hugo Wii, retroarch pce fast
Turbo Grafx 16/PC Engine

Last edited by stol1,

Denjin-Ken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mednafen Wii, Snes9X GX, FCEUltra GX & VisualBoy Advance GX. I use them all on my PVM @240p.

Do you mind posting your settings for FCEUltra GX?
I cannot output 240p properly without the screen getting cut or running the game in 50hz.
I'm mainly curious if you're running it in original, filtered or unfiltered.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Do you mind posting your settings for FCEUltra GX?
I cannot output 240p properly without the screen getting cut or running the game in 50hz.
I'm mainly curious if you're running it in original, filtered or unfiltered.
On CRT, always on Original, no exceptions. When on LCD/LED screens, unfiltered. Cropping off on both cases.

Last edited by niuus,

Denjin-Ken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you happen to have the wii's video switched to PAL via anyregionchanger?
Mine is changed that way, everything but FCEUltra works fine.
So annoying. I guess I'll have to go through the hassle of setting up retroarch to get my 240p NES gaming.

InfiniteBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you happen to have the wii's video switched to PAL via anyregionchanger?
Mine is changed that way, everything but FCEUltra works fine.
So annoying. I guess I'll have to go through the hassle of setting up retroarch to get my 240p NES gaming.

It's worth it once you do. There's less input lag in the Nestopia RA core compared to FCEUGX, it has firebrandX's latest pallettes, and far more customizability.

You'll want 512x224 resolution, 4:3 aspect ratio, 640 VI width, all filters off, and whatever pallette you like (I like fbx-NTSC hardware the best).

Reactions: orangy57

InfiniteBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii's native resolution is actually higher than 240p...

It's true that the Wii can do higher, but the vast majority of games that are supported by the hombrew emulators are designed to be played in 240p. It looks far better than 480i for those games, provided you are using a 15khz CRT.

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's true that the Wii can do higher, but the vast majority of games that are supported by the hombrew emulators are designed to be played in 240p. It looks far better than 480i for those games, provided you are using a 15khz CRT.
Just double the exact native resolutions for those systems!

InfiniteBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, why would someone want 240P when i thought 480P is better?

The benefits of 240p really only apply if you use a CRT for older games. 240p adds scanlines to the image which gives 2D sprite art more definition. Like I said previously, almost all games before the gamecube era were designed with 240p in mind, so you're getting the native resolution for those games. 240p assets scaled 2x to 480p don't look all that great imo. Most CRTs can only go up to flickery 480i anyways so 240p gives a much more stable image.

If you don't use a CRT then 240p doesn't make much sense, if the TV supports it at all. It won't look as good for those types of games but 480p is acceptable in that scenario.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The benefits of 240p really only apply if you use a CRT for older games. 240p adds scanlines to the image which gives 2D sprite art more definition. Like I said previously, almost all games before the gamecube era were designed with 240p in mind, so you're getting the native resolution for those games. 240p assets scaled 2x to 480p don't look all that great imo. Most CRTs can only go up to flickery 480i anyways so 240p gives a much more stable image.

If you don't use a CRT then 240p doesn't make much sense, if the TV supports it at all. It won't look as good for those types of games but 480p is acceptable in that scenario.
Is that why some virtual console games look the way it does? I remember trying fatal fury on my wii and i couldn't see the image at all on my tv until i looked up online there was a button combination to force the game to work. I could play it after i used the button combo, so i guess it was a resolution issue? Anyway I was curious, i mean is 2017, why would people want to use crt? Then again, is not my business. Is a emulator, so i figured the tv wasn't much of a problem seeing is a emulator designed with flexible settings.:unsure:

I just use emulators on my android tv, it works well and looks great. that 720P or 1080P upscale with Graphic filters is amazing. Using filters is a basic replacement for trying to emulate old tv if that was the goal, but using HDMI and filter on HDTV works just as nice.:rolleyes:

InfiniteBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that why some virtual console games look the way it does? I remember trying fatal fury on my wii and i couldn't see the image at all on my tv until i looked up online there was a button combination to force the game to work. I could play it after i used the button combo, so i guess it was a resolution issue? Anyway I was curious, i mean is 2017, why would people want to use crt? Then again, is not my business. Is a emulator, so i figured the tv wasn't much of a problem seeing is a emulator designed with flexible settings.:unsure:

I just use emulators on my android tv, it works well and looks great. that 720P or 1080P upscale with Graphic filters is amazing. Using filters is a basic replacement for trying to emulate old tv if that was the goal, but using HDMI and filter on HDTV works just as nice.:rolleyes:

Yep, sounds like your TV didn't support the 240p signal.

Upscalers are absolutely a good way to play older games on modern TVs, but in the end it's really a matter of preference when going either the upscaler route or CRT route. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

There's a growing number of CRT enthusiasts out there, just check out /r/crtgaming on Reddit or "My Life in Gaming" on YouTube. I prefer them because input lag is a deal breaker for me, and most CRTs have absolutely zero. The same can't be said for modern TVs, as they can have anywhere between 1-6 frames of lag (or more). I also prefer playing older games in their native resolution wherever possible, another advantage CRTs have. Then there's also better black levels, better colors, etc that flat panel technology is just now catching up to.

It might sound ridiculous to some but CRTs can have an exceptionally good picture quality if you use the right cables and have a good monitor. It's not the grainy, fuzzy, shitty image that most people think of when CRTs are mentioned, although it can easily be like that if you choose to.

Upscaling has perks in that you don't need a giant CRT taking up space, or deal with geometry issues, but you make sacrifices in all the areas I mentioned previously. It's all a matter of preference :D

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As i am going to use Wii mostly for emulators i am asking which ones output 240p?
I have checked so far these output 240p:

Genesis Plus GX
Mega drive
Master System
Game Gear
Mega CD

SMS Plus

Master System

FBZX Wii
Sinclair ZX Spectrum

Retroarch Final Burn Alpha (but you have to adjust settings - DIY)
CPS1
CPS2
Arcade

SNES9x GX (Didn't tested, just read that it does)
Super Nintendo

FCE Ultra GX (Didn't tested, just read that it does)
NES

Hugo Wii (Didn't tested, just read that it does)
Turbo Grafix 16/PC Engine
Quick grammar lesson: Didn't test, not didn't tested. The "d" in tested is already there in "did" or "didn't".

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No stretching. Beautiful pixel art at its native resolution. Scanlines. These are the benefits for gamers that play retro consoles on real CRT TVs like it was intended.
Yeah like you said, a Retro console. Not emulator which is how the op mentioned he is doing it, using a emulator on wii, a 480P console. :P

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Yeah like you said, a Retro console. Not emulator which is how the op mentioned he is doing it, using a emulator on wii, a 480P console. :P
Dude, the Wii already outputs 240p *like* a real retro console... and the emulators listed DO output video in that resolution for those able to use it, improving quality. It's the closest to a real console experience he can get, short of using the original hardware.

Reactions: Sticksandstones

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: