Wii #1647 - Guitar Hero: Van Halen (USA)

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
HaniKazmi said:
Don't we have enough music games yet? They seem to churn out a new one every month.
They really are milking the cow. That is why I switched to Rock Band. You got all your music in one game. Better than switching discs. For me, it's better since having different games mean playing with different people and, say, if you're playing WT but want to play a song found in other GH games, you can't. In RB, it's easy access
smile.gif

On-topic: After seeing the charts back then, I've decided I'll skip this since it feels "rushed" and the way they charted some songs suck big time. No "dedication content" for VH unlike in Metallica, they even have Metallifacts.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bazildon said:
berlinka said:
The only one I'm waiting for now is:

ROCK BAND: QUEEN

You know it's going to happen. I mean ROCK=QUEEN=GUITAR=BRIAN MAY=GH/RB. I hope it will be the Rockband franchise for that one, because RB: Beatles blew me away. I'm actually listening to the Beatles on an almost daily basis since that game.
I'm with you on the RB:Beatles being amazing. The Mrs(not a gamer) and I have a couple of drinks and we can easily lose most of the evening into the early hours playing it on and off-line... and make us very bleary eyed in the morning!.

i want me some queen. the the beatles was the first music genre i played and i loved it. now i'm playing rockband 2 and so far 50 percent of the tracks are horrible, several i can't stand listening to, some i like but they are so dreadful in the game like what you want, by BB - so simple and dull to play, and repetitive). i don't actually listen to the beatles, but their music is very melodic which makes it fun to play, i think Queen has a similar effect.

Bazildon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
bazildon.com
XP
Country
Don't wanna scare anyone here, but I saw press over the weekend quoting a certain Paul "Bonohonio" Hewson of U2 and political whore infamy. Apparently he wants a U2 RB/GH game for his bunch of old time post-punks.

And we all know not to mess with Bonohomoriomo, He's a bad ass! Let us not forget that this is the same man who flew his hat (cowboy style!) 1st class half way round the world so he could wear it on stage at a concert to highlight the terrible future we could face due to environmental changes.

Mind you - Maybe the new "feature" they could add is a 5th wii remote so i can use it to invade the stage and punch him when he start preaching his crap....maybe with motion plus to make it a bit more realistic and satisfying!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bazildon said:
Don't wanna scare anyone here, but I saw press over the weekend quoting a certain Paul "Bonohonio" Hewson of U2 and political whore infamy. Apparently he wants a U2 RB/GH game for his bunch of old time post-punks.

And we all know not to mess with Bonohomoriomo, He's a bad ass! Let us not forget that this is the same man who flew his hat (cowboy style!) 1st class half way round the world so he could wear it on stage at a concert to highlight the terrible future we could face due to environmental changes.

Mind you - Maybe the new "feature" they could add is a 5th wii remote so i can use it to invade the stage and punch him when he start preaching his crap....maybe with motion plus to make it a bit more realistic and satisfying!

A) That's vastly off topic
B) A Rock Band: U2 wouldn't be terrible. Bono's a douchenozzle but he made some good music back in the day.
C) Lol

xCM Punkx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
I think I'm getting this just for "Stacy's Mom".
Your gonna play a Van Halen game, not just for the many many ball-shredding medleys but for Stacys Mom? WTF?

BTW this works fine on any USB loader with the 002 fix. Anybody know how to unlock the older versions of van halen? In the Metallica guitar hero you had to get a certain number of stars to unlock the old school versions of the band but it was really hard to get that many stars.

EDIT: After messing with it some, I can tell you if your into classic metal your gonna like this game. It has alot of little touches like for those who don't know, Eddie Van Halen used to do a number of tricks to make his guitar sound a certain way. For example, If you play Pretty Woman, just like when he plays it in real life, Eddie pulls out a power drill and uses it on his guitar to make that signature distortion. Thats pretty cool
cool.gif

lonegreyride

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hooya said:
HaniKazmi said:
Don't we have enough music games yet? They seem to churn out a new one every month.

They're an incredibly easy to produce cash cow.

Think about it: if we can make our own customs so fast, a paid team can make their own customs just as fast if not faster. A few custom intros and boom, another $45+ disk that took them a month in production since all the backend was already there. The hardest part of these releases is getting the master tracks from the studios, which is probably not too hard anymore given the popularity and success of these games. The first two Guitar Hero games were much more difficult because a cover/tribute band had to learn (note for note, not an easy task) all of the songs and those had to go through the usual studio process. This usually takes several months on its own just from the angle of getting the audio right. Now that part is taken out of the equation, so it's just a matter of plugging colored dots onto a template.

1. If you play a lot of music games, it's very easy to get sick of all the tracks you have quickly, even with DLC.

2. All music games are not created equal. GH has much, much better charts than RB ever comes close to, so it's always nice to get a new GH game, if just for the great guitar charts.

3. @Hooya, it must be getting hard to get those master tracks again, because the shitty cover bands have made a return. First non-VH song I tried was Semi-Charmed life. It sounded a little off, then I heard the singer say "mattress" with a british accent.... strange for a band from L.A., isn't it?

On a side note, although I do agree the older games obviously took much longer to produce... to be honest, it shouldn't be very hard for a decent cover band to learn those songs. If a band takes more than 2 or 3 days to learn a song like that perfectly, they shouldn't be doing this. IMHO, I don't think this has very much to do with how much faster music games are coming out now than they were a few years ago.. .most likely just the high demand.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
block the update, either use wiibrickblocker or startpatch/preloader hack

anyway this game is so so, nothing special, but i am not a huge van halen fan, my dad used to rock to these guys when he was drunk so thats why i know some of the deeper cuts but overall i think eddie was innovative but i don't like his style very much...too bluesy and too screechy

i am waiting for guitar hero Ramms+ein baby
or guitar hero oomph!
or guitar hero NIN

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
VashTS said:
anyway this game is so so, nothing special, but i am not a huge van halen fan, my dad used to rock to these guys when he was drunk so thats why i know some of the deeper cuts but overall i think eddie was innovative but i don't like his style very much...too bluesy and too screechy

or guitar hero oomph!
or guitar hero NIN

Never heard of oomph!. NIN makes good music but it would be slower and more dull than even RB Beatles. Rammstein I do agree with, but their catalog is not deep enough for a game to themselves. I find it odd that we don't even have a single piece of Rammstein DLC.

Van Halen did some amazing stuff in his time, and the grouping of classic metal style in this game is drawing me in. That, and I can finally fail at Eruption. It may not be the most popular music, but it will be damn fun to play.

From a cursory glance no one's explicitly answered this, but which cIOS does this need? I have Waninkoko's cIOS 249 rev13a, Hermes cIOS36 222, and Hermes cIOS37/36 223 and plan to use a USB loader (cfg, gx, or probably cLoader). What settings will it take? Details appreciated.

xCM Punkx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Szalkow said:
VashTS said:

or guitar hero oomph!
or guitar hero NIN

Never heard of oomph!. NIN makes good music but it would be slower and more dull than even RB Beatles. Rammstein I do agree with, but their catalog is not deep enough for a game to themselves. I find it odd that we don't even have a single piece of Rammstein DLC.

Van Halen did some amazing stuff in his time, and the grouping of classic metal style in this game is drawing me in. That, and I can finally fail at Eruption. It may not be the most popular music, but it will be damn fun to play.

From a cursory glance no one's explicitly answered this, but which cIOS does this need? I have Waninkoko's cIOS 249 rev13a, Hermes cIOS36 222, and Hermes cIOS37/36 223 and plan to use a USB loader (cfg, gx, or probably cLoader). What settings will it take? Details appreciated.
Besides Rammstein's only good song is on Guitar Hero 5.
rolleyes.gif

And this game works with Neogamma, Cios 249 with the 002 fix on. I haven't tried it but it should work with any loader that can do the 002 fix.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
When I saw the boxart I thought, WTF, Guitar Hero Spiderman?

I guess I'll add this to my collection of GH games... Always love a new Guitar Hero game (except for Smash Hits)
smile.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Other posts: NIN wouldn't make a good GH or RB. A lot of the music is synthesized.

I really think that Van Halen doesn't deserve a GH game. There's so many other bigger and better bands than the ones GH does. Queen is iconic, and while Rush may not be as huge as other bands, they have a great diversity of music that I always thought would be great for GH/RB. Even a GH: The Who or GH: Led Zepplin would be better, even though I'm not a real fan of either of them. They're just bigger than Van Halen or Metallica.

xCM Punkx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
@Other posts: NIN wouldn't make a good GH or RB. A lot of the music is synthesized.

I really think that Van Halen doesn't deserve a GH game. There's so many other bigger and better bands than the ones GH does. Queen is iconic, and while Rush may not be as huge as other bands, they have a great diversity of music that I always thought would be great for GH/RB. Even a GH: The Who or GH: Led Zepplin would be better, even though I'm not a real fan of either of them. They're just bigger than Van Halen or Metallica.

All of the bands you mentioned, with the exception of zeppelin, are in Rock band 2. And pulled off quite well I might add. Rush is probably the best DLC on that whole game!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xCM Punkx said:
Guild McCommunist said:

All of the bands you mentioned, with the exception of zeppelin, are in Rock band 2. And pulled off quite well I might add. Rush is probably the best DLC on that whole game!

They still deserve a lot more than a few songs in a game or a small DLC pack. Rush has a huge library of songs to use and a great deal of them would be perfect for Rock Band. Also, I haven't played RB2, so give me a break
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @btjunior, you act like if you were about 10