WiFi Signal Boosting (Parabolic Reflectors)

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I get an average WiFi signal in my room from my router situated in my family room, so I did a bit of research to see what I could to make it better. I had read about the various "can-tennas" that people have made out of Pringles and soup cans, but I needed something free, and that didnt require pig-tails and connectors. So after a bit of digging, I found this:
http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

Make two of these, slip them over the antennas on your router, and it will boost the signal in the direction they face, while decreasing it in the direction they dont-great for increasing the privacy of any given network. For kicks, I made a quick--and I mean quick--set of my own:
preflect.jpg

They are no where near perfect parabolas, but they took me about 10 minutes to make and prove the idea works. My signal increased by 10%, and the link quality increased as well. I plan on making a higher quality pair soon, when I get the materials I want.

Just posting this for those who might suffer from mediocre signal strengths like I do--enjoy!

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I do, actually. My Transmit and Receive rates are higher now, so the Internet is noticeably faster. Combine these with some of the options you can enable in HyperWRT(A firmware replacement for WRT54G routers) like Frame Burst, and there are definitely noticeable improvements, not just numbers in some spreadsheet.

yatzr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
one thing that a lot of people don't realize is that the signal basically forms as a donut around the antenna. I've seen a lot of people point the antenna (literally so the tip is pointing there) toward the room they want and then complain cause they get a bad signal. I've also seen people put their routers in the basement and point the antenna straight up and again complain that they're not getting a good signal. Just knowing how the signal is formed helps a lot in getting a good signal to the areas that need it.

with the reflectors, you obviously won't be making that mistake

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...