Why update to 4.2 when it does absolutely nothing?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Link5084, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Link5084
    OP

Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    I mean, seriously, no games need it just yet and plus it doesnt even add any features at all. Why are people updating?

2. jazvdb

jazvdb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    In front of computer...
    I did it to get over it...
    Might need it for the future, might not...

3. TRushInfo

TRushInfo Banned

Banned
    Jun 13, 2009
    United States
    because ppl love to screw themselves and then come here to ask questions so they make some new friends? When ninty releases an update worth a fuck ill think about updating

4. acesniper

acesniper GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 29, 2008
    United States
    It makes me feel complete if I am on the latest firmware.

5. icebrg5

icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 1, 2007
    United States

6. zektor

zektor GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 29, 2005
    United States

It's fun, thats why [​IMG] As long as you know what you are doing. Pretty soon anybody will be able to safely update from a previous softmodded Wii to v4.2 without ANY effort. Stick around [​IMG]

7. AdamBrunt

AdamBrunt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 24, 2003
    Because it was (a) easy, (b) in my case safe to do, Â had no detrimental effect and most importantly (d) meant somebody else couldn't use my wii and accidently do an official update and screw the wii completely.

8. BlackEnigma

BlackEnigma GBAtemp Fan

Mar 1, 2009
    United States
    I'm no where near being the laziest person in the world but I'll tell you one of the reasons why I didn't upgrade. Because to upgrade I have to do something. To not upgrade I don't have to do anything. Do something versus do nothing... I went with doing nothing.

It's almost (but not quite) like telling me, hey this robot needs maintenance. Here is what you need to do to maintain it but if you don't maintain it, it will maintain itself. It might even be able to do a better job maintaining itself than you can do maintaining it.

You tell me that, I won't touch the robot unless I'm curious or suspect something.

9. Clish

Clish Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2007
    Canada
    caz i want to use the shop channel ....
    and to use it i will have to either use the updater or the shop channel updater... so why not do a more complete job while i am at it?

10. Riicky

Riicky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2009
    United States
    Reading,Pennsylvania
    My main reason

11. Link5084
    OP

Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    Wait, you HAVE to update to use the Shop Channel? What if you go to the Shop Channel on 4.1?

12. LxTrix

LxTrix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 3, 2009
    United States
    It'll ask you to update. Otherwise no need to update til nintendo gives us a useful reason to.

13. xzxero

xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

Jul 18, 2008
    United States
    SB
    you dont HAVE to update.
    just install the latest IOS61 [v5405] and shopping channel [v17] wad's

14. vettacossx

vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Sep 19, 2008
    Right Behind You! Uh Oh!
    dont update then i dont [​IMG] proud owner of a 3.2U console use WIISCU to update my official channels (and wads i "obtain" using google search or GBATEMP search and NP with any advanced hacks or game compatibility its all the same on all Homebrew enabled wii's its a matter of choice how "modified" you want to go with your applications of the homebrew and reading previous to the execution of said applications. So long as you read b4 you proceed you will succeed! [​IMG]

15. Aahz

Aahz Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2007
    United States
    Dude, you can't just scrub or preloader away updates...oh wait you totally can nevermind.

16. wolffangalchemist

wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

Nov 23, 2008
    United States
    middleofnowhere, AL
    i did it cuz i felt like it, do i need a good reason to want to update?
    everything still works HBC usbloader and such so long as you didn't update trough Nintendo.
    sure nothing new or useful was added to the system menu but no harm no foul right?.

17. ften

ften GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2006
    Bulgaria
    My house
    I updated to 4.2 on my test Wii just to see if I could get around Nintendo's new security measures.

-FTen

18. zektor

zektor GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 29, 2005
    United States
    The menus/overall feel of v4.2 feels "smoother" to me, but that might just be my mind playing tricks [​IMG] Heck, with a new safe installer available, what reason is there NOT to update? [​IMG]

19. smash_brew

smash_brew I may or may not have fallen

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    I'm on 3.2 and don't see much reason to upgrade. My 3.2 can do everything that 4.2 can do and I like the theme that i made and can't really be bothered with changing it. Until there is some added feature that i can't live without i'm staying put.

20. nknave

nknave GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2009
    Mexico
    I guess updating firmware for me is just to test new hacks that comeout, and I always end up leaving the newest firmware installed.

I don't have much preference for the Firmware Version, what I'm really looking for is a System Menu Replacement that will install and run from Wii's NAND without an obligatory SD card.

But I can only hope [​IMG]