Why some games don't run normally

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by gqkooqo, Nov 22, 2011.

Nov 22, 2011
  1. gqkooqo
    OP

Newcomer gqkooqo Newbie

United States
    Running wii game backups has a compatibility list just like some emulators do. If these softmods just trick the wii into reading burned copies of games and don't affect the instructions for playing them, then why wouldn't games just run perfectly or not at all? What could possibly cause some games to have problems?

2. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    Because the developers set it in so it wont be working so easily? Like if you made a homepage, only you would know it in and out. Not the visitors.

3. Burton

Member Burton Real Life VIP and Educator

Puerto Rico
    I didn't understand both the question and the answer :s

4. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    We're two now :unsure:

5. alphamule

Member alphamule GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I seem to remember the SNES and how some games unintentionally had "antipiracy protection" because they assumed that you had a faster speed of ROM than what the Flash cart used. I'm not sure if game companies started doing it on purpose but it would make sense that they paid attention to the 'scene' issues.

It could be as simple as timing bugs that don't exist on real discs? Deliberate or not, that would explain why some games don't work right even though the exact same system playing the original works fine. You can imagine the system going through some random code in the game and it expects the disc to take a certain amount of time to read. Take too long or go too fast and oops... Crash/stuttering. Don't ask me what happens when the disc is scratched and hard to read, though! ;)

Some games will deliberately check to see if you're running on a backup, obviously.

6. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Anti-piracy, loading different dols, trying to use another IOS, the list goes on. Like you said in your first post, you are trying to "trick" the Wii. It's bound to have some problems.