Hacking Why some games don't run normally

gqkooqo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Running wii game backups has a compatibility list just like some emulators do. If these softmods just trick the wii into reading burned copies of games and don't affect the instructions for playing them, then why wouldn't games just run perfectly or not at all? What could possibly cause some games to have problems?

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Because the developers set it in so it wont be working so easily? Like if you made a homepage, only you would know it in and out. Not the visitors.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seem to remember the SNES and how some games unintentionally had "antipiracy protection" because they assumed that you had a faster speed of ROM than what the Flash cart used. I'm not sure if game companies started doing it on purpose but it would make sense that they paid attention to the 'scene' issues.

It could be as simple as timing bugs that don't exist on real discs? Deliberate or not, that would explain why some games don't work right even though the exact same system playing the original works fine. You can imagine the system going through some random code in the game and it expects the disc to take a certain amount of time to read. Take too long or go too fast and oops... Crash/stuttering. Don't ask me what happens when the disc is scratched and hard to read, though! ;)

Some games will deliberately check to see if you're running on a backup, obviously.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over