Why Smash bros get so much hype?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by eriol33, Sep 17, 2014.

1. eriol33
    OP

eriol33 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    I tried all of them and I never like it. I just played them briefly and meh. I like mario and nintendo characters, but the SSB mechanics are crappy in my opinion. I tried super smash bros 3DS for a while, still not impressed. I guess the franchise is not just for me. I like the music though.

how about you? do you like/hate the series?

2. Kane49

Kane49 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    Gambia, The
    The game could be a lot worse for me to not enjoy destroying my friends with Pikachu.
    If you mean smash bros as a single player game then its no wonder you don't enjoy it, the only reason to play it solo is to beat your friends worse :P

RodrigoDavy likes this.
  3. zeello

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    i do not like the series either. But if the question is why it gets so much hype, its probably because lots and lots of people think it's the bees knees.

Veho likes this.
  4. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Smash is no joke :angry:

I bet you are one of those few people who doesn't know this and suck in the game, then fell frustrated of being defeated by others:

"A smash attack is an attack performed by "tapping" (quickly tilting) the control stick and pressing the A button at the same time. This class of attacks includes forward smash, up smash and down smash. Smash attacks generally have the highest knockback of the moves in a character's arsenal, with the forward smash usually being the most powerful. In Melee and Brawl, they can be charged by holding the A button down, then releasing when you want the attack to unleash, thus giving it more damage and knockback. A smash attack can be charged for exactly 120 frames, or 2 seconds. A fully-charged smash attack does 1.4x damage; for example a smash attack that normally does 16% damage will do 22.4% damage when fully charged. "

5. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    Because:

- its a fighting game that can be tailored to both casual and pro players.
    - It has a large roster of characters, most that would generate a sense of nostalgia in many people.
    - It encourages local play with friends and family (3DS obviously excluded here but not the Wii-u version)
    - It is one of the very few decent 4 player fighting games
    - It has ALOT of items that keep it fresh each round, you never know how the match might play out
    - Its funny! Being knocked out by a green shell or slipping on a banana peel is more tolerable than getting beat with hadouken spam.
    - As you say, the music is great and usually remixs and original songs from classic games (More nostalgia)
    - For a fightning game at its heart, it has alot of content. Map maker, several single player modes, online play, custom rules ect ect

If you're not into fighting games at all then fair enough, you probably dont get the hype. If you do like fighting games then there WILL be something here you like, it does everything well enough to have something for everyone. I myself love the games and iv had tons of fun playing with my friends / family casually. I fully get the hype and im a part of it, so many characters to pick from this year too. Hopefully the content on wii-u is as packed as it was in brawl and if it is, ill probably be still playing it when the next one comes out.

6. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I'm in the same boat. I spent a whole lot of time with the N64 original when I was growing up, but I just don't really care for it now. It's a decent brawler, sure, but I think people try to put way too much stock into it. People really shouldn't try to make a competitive mountain out of a party game molehill.

"I don't really care for Smash Bros. It's okay."
    "That's 'cause you just suck!"

Keep it classy, Smash fans.

7. dontay0100

dontay0100 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2007
    United States
    Because Smash Bros has been the shit since 1999.. hell it's the only game that made me cry when being announced in 2008 it was such a huge surprise. Combos out the ass, fierce competition local or online ( now cuz brawl online wasn't anything ).
    Don't play with items ( pro ). After over 10 years of playing I can honestly say the best fighting game in the world. Don't believe me? What other fighting game has sold 1 million copies over 2 days alone in just one country.

8. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    I find it ok, nothing special. Its just like all other fighting games.

9. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    It really isn't.

EZ-Megaman and dontay0100 like this.
  10. eriol33
    OP

eriol33 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    Most of the time i played tekken with my friends but never ssb series, i guess it's type of game where you need another player huh

11. Black-Ice

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    Short, simple and only answer to this question needed: Its one of Nintendo's big franchises.

gamefan5 and EZ-Megaman like this.
  12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It totally is. It's a good brawler, but nothing to obsess over or write home about - rarely any game is that good.

13. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Playing Persona 4 Arena or SSB i still will feel the same.

14. Black-Ice

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    Smash is a party brawler, its nothing like other fighting games.
    And its definitely nothing to obsess about, hell no

-Talking about fighting games
    -names super smash bros and persona 4 arena

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

frogboy and EZ-Megaman like this.
  15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Are you trying to say that there are no other "party brawlers" out there? I know several.

16. dontay0100

dontay0100 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2007
    United States
    SMASH IS ALL ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER

17. Black-Ice

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    Party brawlers and fighting games are different. Relating them isn't really valid.
    That's all I said.

Why do i have to explain this

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  18. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    It's popular because it's Nintendo.

19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    What's so different about them? You have characters and said characters punch each other in the face on an arena until one of'em wins. It's literally the same formula. If you're going to mention items, then I have to burst the bubble - standard fighters like Mortal Kombat have items too. "Party brawler" is a subgenre in the broader category of "fighting games".

lampdemon likes this.
  20. Black-Ice

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    If we're taking this route, every person that says sports and esports are the exact thing are also correct.

I have no intention of pursuing this topic, none at all.

EZ-Megaman likes this.