Hacking Why is there no Supergrafx emulator on the PSVita?

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
Medafen can run supergrafx if asked to by using an extension but looks like the devs have not included this in retroarch.

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
This is listed on the medafen docs.

pce.forcesgx
boolean 01 0
Force SuperGrafx emulation.
Enabling this option is not necessary to run unrecognized PCE ROM images in SuperGrafx mode, and enabling it is discouraged; ROM images with a file extension of ".sgx" will automatically enable SuperGrafx emulation.

davidgilmour

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is listed on the medafen docs.

pce.forcesgx
boolean 01 0
Force SuperGrafx emulation.
Enabling this option is not necessary to run unrecognized PCE ROM images in SuperGrafx mode, and enabling it is discouraged; ROM images with a file extension of ".sgx" will automatically enable SuperGrafx emulation.
yup. but they won’t run. the screen remains black.
and changing the extension to .pce does not help either.

Last edited by davidgilmour,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK, the native Retroarch core (Bettle SGX) should work just fine with supergrafx games, I'm not aware of any incompatibilities on the Vita. I'd suggest just installing the Retroarch VPK and trying it for yourself to see how well it works.

davidgilmour

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK, the native Retroarch core (Bettle SGX) should work just fine with supergrafx games, I'm not aware of any incompatibilities on the Vita. I'd suggest just installing the Retroarch VPK and trying it for yourself to see how well it works.

No, on PSVita the core retroarch does not include the SGX version. Only the PCE.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, on a double check you're indeed right, it's just PCEngine, no SG.

In that case, you're probably SOL. There are only 5 or 6 Supergrafx games, and most of them are available on other platforms, so it's highly unlikely someone is going to bother porting an emulator over to the Vita if the Libretro team hasn't already.

davidgilmour

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, on a double check you're indeed right, it's just PCEngine, no SG.

In that case, you're probably SOL. There are only 5 or 6 Supergrafx games, and most of them are available on other platforms, so it's highly unlikely someone is going to bother porting an emulator over to the Vita if the Libretro team hasn't already.

Thanks for your answer.
There are indeed only a handful SGX games. One crap one (battle ace)
But Grandzört, Ghouls n Ghosts, 1941 and Darius are awesome.
1941 and Darius can be played in Mame, as can Ghouls n Ghosts.

But this Ghouls n Ghosts is an amazing conversion of the arcade cabinet!
And Grandzört is really nice. So hopefully someone will pit SGX in the emulator eventually.

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
As far as I'm concerned, SGX is only on the Android builds for ARM since they are the most capable within the software-rendered confines of 3DS/Vita Llibretro.
But, like you already said, most of the games are just ports from the arcade; and all of those said titles are more than playable via FBA or MAME.
Unless you want to contribute to the source here or develop a separate (hardware accelerated?) version of the SGX emulator, you'll just have to find another way around playing said games.

Reactions: davidgilmour

davidgilmour

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I'm concerned, SGX is only on the Android builds for ARM since they are the most capable within the software-rendered confines of 3DS/Vita Llibretro.
But, like you already said, most of the games are just ports from the arcade; and all of those said titles are more than playable via FBA or MAME.
Unless you want to contribute to the source here or develop a separate (hardware accelerated?) version of the SGX emulator, you'll just have to find another way around playing said games.

It is a pity because even a 1ghz simple SOC like the GCW Zero can play those SGX games (temper). The Vita is much, much better.

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It is a pity because even a 1ghz simple SOC like the GCW Zero can play those SGX games (temper). The Vita is much, much better.

Temper is a much different emulator from Beetle/Mednafen (and, fun fact, was on the PSP beforehand). So again, unless someone decides to port said emulator natively to the Vita and take advantage of its enhanced featureset, you're SOL.

Reactions: davidgilmour

davidgilmour

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PFBA should play them.

I think you have to add sgx_ before each file name.

Wow, yes, now I see that they are listed.

but I see the followng names

SGX 1941.zip
SGX Aldyens.zip
SGX Daimaikai.zip

I can’t seem to get FBA to recognize them.
Should I rename them with the “_” sign?
And what should be inside the zip, how should those be named?
1941.pce , 1941.sgx , SGX 1941.pce , SGX 1941.sgx ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom