Why is the R4 disliked so much?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by sgwiiboy, Jul 24, 2009.

Jul 24, 2009
  1. sgwiiboy
    OP

Member sgwiiboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I recently bought a DS for the first time after getting a bit bored with my soft-modded Wii in recent months. After getting the DS I decided to go for an R4 SDHC card, it cost me £20 for the R4, 4gb SD and card reader. So far it has been brilliant, there have been 2 software updates in the time I have had the card (about 6 weeks) and it has played evey rom I have thrown at it "except Classic Word Games".

Having migrated from the Wii forums on GBAtemp to the DS forums I am always seeing posts saying "it's not a good idea to get an R4" etc etc. I am more than aware that my card is a clone but I am just wondering why there is so much negativity towards the R4, have I missed something here?

2. Placeholder

Member Placeholder GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I think it's this one you have?

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=163785

If you own that R4, it's an M3 card under the R4 name. (Some believe they were the same people anyway). M3 are a big enough "company" now to be able to update the firmware for their card. It will obviously have good compatibility, or M3 wouldn't sell it.

The majority of R4 cards are made by nobodies. These R4s wont work very well at all, with no firmware updates and very bad compatibility. Most people end up buying these cards, see that they are pathetic and buy a different brand.

3. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    i have nothing to go against r4
    although, i am one of the many would advise not to get r4 but i have nothing to go against r4
    why is r4 hated by many? the reason is because of the n00bs
    their incompetence on helping themselves and making a topic like why cheats don't show up on my r4 ... and etc etc
    really pissed many of us off [​IMG]

furthermore, if you are talking about the ORIGINAL r4 is DEAD
    the rest of the r4 is just CLONE! some to many of those clones are not properly support
    some of the r4 is a clone of ak2... clone of DSTT
    the story goes on ....

4. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    R4 was good in its day, but now its unsupported and discontinued. Any which is can be bought now is a fake or a clone, and thus they are substandard and crap. They have few features and old crap firmware. You are much better to buy a more recent card like an Acekard 2 or a Cyclo. The exception is the new R4s made by M3 team, but yours is not one of them.

5. sgwiiboy
    OP

United Kingdom
    I see so part of the issue with R4 is the stupid questions asked about getting it to work etc LOL. Probably as annoying as "How do I play GBA roms on my slot 1 device".

6. elixirdream

Malaysia
    sgwiiboy,
    yes [​IMG]
    you can browse around the r4 forum in gbatemp
    just take a look yourself [​IMG]
    most of the questions are ..... tsk tsk

7. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    The R4 wa sthe king of flashcarts in 207 and 2008 but after it stopped updating people started hating it but now even with the r4 rts there are still better choices i would reccomend and acekard 2 for pepoople with the nds or nds lite or a m3i zero for people with adsi they just have so much more to them than r4s [​IMG]

8. sgwiiboy
    OP

United Kingdom
    What does the Acekard 2 do though that the R4 doesn't?

9. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    Many people like AKAIO.

I never used R4 before, but I don't really care if people hate on a certain flashcart, if it works its perfect.

10. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    That's bullshit with the help of YSMenu R4 has run every single game I've tried with the exclusion of CLone Wars which was weird and the AP games which needed a patch so don't stereotype all R4 users as noobs I havent asked one question about it and mine's worked fine all the way. The only reason R4 is seen as the noobs card is becaus all the non-tech savvy parents of 8+ year old children are buying then R4s because R4 get's so much publicity and is well known. If somone advertised AceKard enough and all the parents bought them it would be the same story garaunteed because these parents don't know how to use what they buy they need guidance 24/7.

11. elixirdream

Malaysia
    people didn't hate r4 because they stop updating it [​IMG]
    infact, it was those r4 n00bs that people hate
    if everyone could be like DeadLocked... would there be any haters?

however, being a lurker in other major forums from Asia!
    suprisingly, everyone seems to know whats the problem with r4 and i rarely questions like
    the best part is... i'd never see such question in my forum

those questions would be:-
    how to get ysmenu to work
    how to get cheat codes to work

the best part guides aren't required ...

at the end of the day... it comes back to mentality....

Note:-
    i own
    r4
    r4li
    r4i-rts
    hyper-r4i

12. MasterPenguin

Member MasterPenguin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Just throwing this out there. The Cyclo isn't updated as often as your R4 as it doesn't need updates. People report games that don't work on the Team Cyclops forums. If there are no games that don't work - they can't release a new firmware.

13. misanthrope

Newcomer misanthrope Advanced Member

Mexico
    I hate R4 haters. Seriously the people that predate the R4 section of this boards are basically bots posting "R4 sucks, you have a clone, don't use it, no way to do that, get another card" at every single new post. Not only that they are more annoying than the people that supposedly bothers them and just as uniformed since I had to point out the fact that the card will start receiving new updates when this was made painfully obvious by virtue of being on the front page of gbatemp.net

Not only that this behavior is acceptable, encouraged and even practiced by forum moderators. If you, like me, believe you can get a good temperature of how good or bad a community is by how it deals with their most common questions, gbatemp is one of the worst out there. People who want support shouldn't be subject to uniformed haters who just tell them "you just wasted your money" when the cards are usually as good as accepted cards like acerkard.

14. DigitalSquirrel

Member DigitalSquirrel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't hate the R4, I liked it for a while 'till I got my DSTT. I needed SDHC. No more updates for it though, so that sucks. DSTT is going the same way.. I wanna try a cyclo but I don't wanna spend the money. [​IMG]

15. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Don't listen to elixirdream he is an R4 fanboy. You could say he is responsible for all these clones, he bought so many that he is actually supporting these fake teams. He should be killed.

.....j/k

R4, well so much hate since there are basically better cards out there + the team is dead, and all there is now is clones; so yeah :\

16. misanthrope

Newcomer misanthrope Advanced Member

Mexico
    Updates are overrated. All relevant games work on DSTT and R4 either out of the box or patched. Most homebrew worth using ( dsorganize, moonshell and emulators.....thats about it really ) is also working just fine. Its just that people scorn sheep mentality so much they end up being just as gullible as the gullible people they dislike, just on the opposite side of the fence.

17. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    coz people forget the fact that they used to worship it right before the better flashcards came

18. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    I used to have an official R4 which I replaced a few months back for an acekard. Reason I did so was that my R4 didn't support micro sd-hc. Also the fact it was an unsupported product now with no new firmware releases. Yes, YSMenu did a good job, but it was still lacking in some ways.

I decided to get an acekard because AKAIO was well supported and it was a very inexpensive card. I wouldn't call people who have an R4 stupid, but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend people to get them now, when there are alternatives that are just as cheap.

19. budrow66

Member budrow66 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ok R4 was the card to have when the slot ones first got big. They bailed out on their customers or rather were forced to stop production and support. This left alot of folks very, very unhappy.
    The fact is tho the original R4s are supported on the same firmware as the new R4li/M3. This means they do get updates now.

The part that makes everyone not like the R4 is that there are cheaper, better cards now. With newer features. Thoose being RTS, ingame txt, slow motion, alternate save paths, Cheat files you dont have to pick apart to make work, easy to use skins, battery saver modes.

All of that adds up to a better experiance with your card. Wich is why when someone says I'm gonna gat a R4, everyone says no don't. We say don't because we want the user to be happy and enjoy their purchase. Users that are happy with their cards are less likely to clutter the forums with gripe threads about R4 won't load XXXX game or why did I buy an R4.

All of us here would rather help someone who is happy with their purchase and trying to learn than try to calm someone down from a rant before they will even listen.
    In the end it all comes down to get a good card that you will be happy with. That already has all the features you want. Without haveing to use custom firmware and patches on tons of games to make them work and a support team that don't just poof away one day outta the blue.
    This is why the R4 is disliked in my mind. Hope it helps.

20. bach3609

Member bach3609 GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    wait ur r4 sdhc is the one from the r4i-sdhc.com right? actually that r4 clone is pretty good, they add new features all the time and support the card. So far now alll the games have worked on mine, but people just don't like the r4 because it has way too many clones. Hope this helps [​IMG]