Why is religion still a thing?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Krakatau, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krakatau
    OP

Krakatau Nintendo 3DS XL

Nov 10, 2012
    Belgium
    After browsing on Reddit and checking a topic here I found out that many people are still religious... but why? We are 2016, we have education, we should have grown up by now and left religion behind. Religion isn't a thing anymore, it's associated with stupidity and ignorance. Why do people want to be considered stupid and ignorant? Religion is often immoral (look at Islam for example) and lacks any scientific progress or whatever...

Why are humans so stupid?

2. uribemaster

uribemaster GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2010
    United States
    Why are you so stupid as to think that everyone shouldnt be religious? I do not know anybody who thinks religion is associated with stupidity. Religion is all about faith. There is nothing wrong with that. So what if it is 2016? If you do not believe in an afterlife, what do you live for each and every day? One's religion gives purpose to his/her life most of the time and makes their lives better because of their beliefs.

Last edited by uribemaster, Aug 25, 2016
  3. gbaboy123

gbaboy123 Banned

Banned
    May 14, 2011
    United States
    tree with wi fi
    You are the stupid that thinks everybody has the same opinion that you have.

NEP, Haider Raza, CeeDee and 2 others like this.
  4. Krakatau
    OP

Krakatau Nintendo 3DS XL

Nov 10, 2012
    Belgium
    Where I live basically everybody associates religion with stupidity and ignorance.
    Nobody associates religion with kindness or intelligence, it's stupid after all.

Last edited by Krakatau, Aug 25, 2016
    ComeTurismO likes this.
  5. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    what's wrong with people believing in whatever they want? doesn't affect you or me.

VinsCool, RevPokemon, NEP and 9 others like this.
  6. uribemaster

uribemaster GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2010
    United States
    I feel bad for Belgium then :)

Haider Raza and Madridi like this.
  7. Krakatau
    OP

Krakatau Nintendo 3DS XL

Nov 10, 2012
    Belgium
    I live for doing something in my current and only life, I don't think like every failed religious imbecile that I will succeed in my afterlife.

8. Riyaz

Riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Jun 21, 2011
    Netherlands
    everywhere
    "everybody" lol biggest BS i read today lmao

FeverishJackal and Haider Raza like this.
  9. gbaboy123

gbaboy123 Banned

Banned
    May 14, 2011
    United States
    tree with wi fi
    The funny thing here is nobody cares who you are or what you think, you must be a very stupid person calling people who have a religion stupid and ignorant while you are probably the most worthless person in the world who will never accomplish anything so.

FeverishJackal and Haider Raza like this.
  10. uribemaster

uribemaster GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2010
    United States
    Well you better live it to the fullest because while your life will completely end, my second life will begin

11. Krakatau
    OP

Krakatau Nintendo 3DS XL

Nov 10, 2012
    Belgium
    In your country it's probably the same. Religion is associated with old people (who grew up with it) or with stupidity and ignorance.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It's funny when you realise the most stupid replies to my topic came from Americans...

12. gbaboy123

gbaboy123 Banned

Banned
    May 14, 2011
    United States
    tree with wi fi
    Retarded confirmed

13. Krakatau
    OP

Krakatau Nintendo 3DS XL

Nov 10, 2012
    Belgium
    Religious imbecile confirmed.

14. uribemaster

uribemaster GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2010
    United States
    It's funny when you realize nobody so far cares for what you have to say. I'll just categorize you as an idiot and go on with my day. May you rest in piece

FeverishJackal, Haider Raza and Riyaz like this.
  15. Krakatau
    OP

Krakatau Nintendo 3DS XL

Nov 10, 2012
    Belgium
    Well, you seem to care a lot about what I say. Even more than about my opinion than about your Biblical nonsense and imaginary stories, you are progressing!

16. Captain Library

Captain Library Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2012
    Someone put it quite well to me that religion will continue to prevail until the human race can better articulate the "meaning of life". It's quite a fundamental human yearning to want to understand how and why we're here, to assign some grand purpose to the things we do...

There are aspects of all religions which come from a good place, and aspects which are antiquated. It's difficult to reject some teachings while retaining others. Some denominations of Christianity have managed to do this better than others. There are moderate Muslims just as there are extremists.

Fundamentalists that invoke religion (eg. Daesh, KKK, Babbar Khalsa, many, many, many more) tend to do so to put in place power structures, rather than being true to the core fundamentals of the religions they claim to represent (in my view anyway). They have corrupted religion to serve their needs. That is absolutely immoral. But there are many examples of positive actions and examples of morality that stem from religion. I would contend that many modern "Western" constructs of morality have evolved from a Judeo-Christian teaching, those being the dominant religions of Europe and America for some time. It's a shame that those moral centres are only just coming around to the idea that, perhaps women aren't objects, or that being gay is okay... but there will always be things that seem outlandish now, even to those who aren't religious, that will be accepted in ten, fifty, a hundred years... that's how it's always been.

Many intelligent people choose to have faith, or have always known faith. I would never consider it my right to tell people who have a religion that they're stupid.

17. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    >After browsing on Reddit and checking a topic here I found out that many people are still religious... but why?
    Because of traditions? Because of personal reasons? Or simply because people are free to do what they want?

>Religion isn't a thing anymore, it's associated with stupidity and ignorance. Why do people want to be considered stupid and ignorant?
    In my opinion, the stupid people are the one thinking religion is stupid. Not being able to accept other people's way of thinking is the definition of ignorance for me.
    And admitting that people that think religion is stupid are right, do religious people really need to care about what they think? Stupid example, Animal Crossing games are considered childish by most people. Will I not play it because some people think it is stupid, in order to be "accepted"? No, I'll play the game, and I don't give a f*ck about what others think about what I do.

And no, I don't believe in any religion, I'm an atheist.

Last edited by TheKawaiiDesu, Aug 25, 2016
    FeverishJackal, VinsCool, NEP and 5 others like this.
  18. Krakatau
    OP

Krakatau Nintendo 3DS XL

Nov 10, 2012
    Belgium
    Anyone claiming women to be inferior, or gay-marriages to be bad should be left out of society. I agree with you in many aspects, but I do think that religion and stupidity have more in common than you may think.

19. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    While I think the world would be a better place without religion, I won't shit on someone for being religious as long as they're not harming anyone because of it.

TheKawaiiDesu and ihaveamac like this.
  20. gbaboy123

gbaboy123 Banned

Banned
    May 14, 2011
    United States
    tree with wi fi
    I never defended any religion. you should learn to read retard. damn you are the reason why family shouldn't fuck. inbred

Last edited by gbaboy123, Aug 25, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.