Hacking Why is noflashme for DS lite not released?

Kouta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Because it's not needed. There are passcards and superkeys out there that do the job nicely.

I flashed only to protect my DS lite from malware. Now I realize that's very unlikely to happen. Had I known that flashme wasn't removable I wouldn't have done it in the first place.

Vidikron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Because it's not needed. There are passcards and superkeys out there that do the job nicely.

I flashed only to protect my DS lite from malware. Now I realize that's very unlikely to happen. Had I known that flashme wasn't removable I wouldn't have done it in the first place.

But why the regret? What's the disadvantage to having it flashed?

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
So stick a game in slot 1 and pretend it's a passcard, wait a few extra seconds before playing your game, and put your DS on the charger as soon as the red light comes on.

Problem solved!
wink.gif

Kouta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
But why the regret? What's the disadvantage to having it flashed?
The possibility of Nintendo blocking flashed DS and DS Lite units from running future games, online play, Wii connectivity etc.

I'm sure a few others are worried about this too.

Also, the fact that i'm using hacked firmware just bothers the hell out of me.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But why the regret? What's the disadvantage to having it flashed?

The possibility of Nintendo blocking flashed DS and DS Lite units from running future games, online play, Wii connectivity etc.

I find the above extremely unlikely. Rest assured if that's the case there will be a new version of flashme...it's just a matter of time. Hacked firmware bugs you? You must not tinker with electronics a lot to make a comment like that. To me a flashed ds is the only way to go, 0 disadvantages I can think of for myself. All the disadvantages people bring up to me just sound like excuses and fear.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo haven't bothered so far about people playing roms using a flashcart. Why should they detect the flashme? if this happened a no flashme would be released for the ds lite and we'd all start using something like a superkey. Nintendo can't win if they stopped it. I'm not even sure how easy it would be for nintendo to detect you have an illegal bios on your nintendo ds.

JoeB

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Flashme is the oldest way of getting around security in a system. This is the way it's done with the PS1, PS2, XBOX and XBOX 360. If you're afraid of getting a mod chip for any of those systems, than don't use flashme.

The only reason I asked why noflashme for the DS Lite exists is because for all the above solutions, one can always disable/remove the mod chip (if they know what they're doing).

Then again, once a system is modded, how many people ever unmod it?
smile.gif

It'll still be nice to have options.

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I think new malware in the future is far more likely than nintendo blocking flashme'd DS's.

In fact I find it quite strange that people don't worry about it more, as it's fairly likely that one day a new one might surface... it only takes one person

Kaphis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
um..I flash for one reason and one reason only...to play DS download games with her unflashed DS..this way I get to her house, stick the passcard + supercard into her DS and away we go o.o

yee

Trophies
Website
revscene.net
XP
Country
Canada
But why the regret?  What's the disadvantage to having it flashed?

Highly impossible due to the fact that the developers of the FlashMe worked with an original firmware dump. If Nintendo does release a new firmware or whatever, then how would the people with the older firmwares on their DS play games? Ya can't!

If it bothers you so much, then you shouldn't have flashed it before.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Rather than most users "OMG WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO REMOVE IT" I'll give you a sensable response:

Loopy doesn't like you and sees no reason to further develop flashme.

I believe that there's nothing stopping you from grabbing the original DS Lite firmware and rewriting the DS's flash memory.

Kouta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Highly impossible due to the fact that the developers of the FlashMe worked with an original firmware dump. If Nintendo does release a new firmware or whatever, then how would the people with the older firmwares on their DS play games? Ya can't!

Sigh. Don't patronize me. Nintendo will never release new firmware (if they planned to release updates the DS firmware wouldn't be partially write-protected) and releasing DS Lites with new firmware would obviously alienate the millions of old DS Lite users. But, it is entirely possible for Nintendo to require future game releases to have software that can see and block the particular future game from running on unofficial firmware DS Lites, or restrict people with unofficial firmware from playing online.

If it bothers you so much, then you shouldn't have flashed it before.
I was under the impression that noflashme was able to restore original DS Lite firmware. Unfortunately I learned all too late that it didn't.

nunofgs

Trophies
Website
nunofgs.fecktory.com
XP
Country
Also, I can't quite explain it, but the version that flashme installed is not the same as the ds lite. The issue is with Mario Kart DS (at least that I've noticed). I have the original game and I played the heck out of it.

For some reason, after I flashed my DS I noticed that the game was slower. It's no big deal but you'd only notice it in the menus... somehow it is just a tiny bit slower when loading games and moving around menus. I confirmed this with my girlfriend's euro DS Lite too.

I know that sounds ridiculous but don't forget that Mario Kart DS detects which firmware you are running and plays different sounds when loading up the game so it might be possible...

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States

Sigh. Don't patronize me. Nintendo will never release new firmware (if they planned to release updates the DS firmware wouldn't be partially write-protected) and releasing DS Lites with new firmware would obviously alienate the millions of old DS Lite users. But, it is entirely possible for Nintendo to require future game releases to have software that can see and block the particular future game from running on unofficial firmware DS Lites, or restrict people with unofficial firmware from playing online.

Grr. The DS Lite's firmware IS a new version of the old firmware; it allows you to change screen brightness. It's as much hardware as it is software.
If you MUST not have flashme installed, you can use the noflashme from an older version of flashme, but you'll lose your ability to change screen brightness.

If it's the DS's warrantee you get worried about, go for flashme stealth.

I do understand why you'd want to remove flashme, and you have my sympathy.

Kouta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Grr. The DS Lite's firmware IS a new version of the old firmware; it allows you to change screen brightness. It's as much hardware as it is software.

I'm well aware of the firmware changes between the DS Phat and DS Lite. When I said new firmware I meant one that would prevent the use of homebrew, piracy, flashme and the like. Nintendo simply wouldn't be able to do that without having to mass recall DS Phat and DS Lite units for firmware updates. They have the other option to release DS Lite units with new anti-homebrew/piracy/etc firmware but that'd just be pointless altogether. Thus it is a no go.

But like I said earlier, it's entirely possible that Nintendo can block unofficial firmware (flashme) DS Phat and DS Lite units from future games, online play and Wii connectivity. That's what i'm really worried about.

If you MUST not have flashme installed, you can use the noflashme from an older version of flashme, but you'll lose your ability to change screen brightness.

Why would anyone use old DS Phat firmware (noflashme) on a DS Lite?

QUOTE(Heran Bago @ Oct 12 2006, 04:44 AM)If it's the DS's warrantee you get worried about, go for flashme stealth.
I don't really care for the warrantee, but just in case, I did install stealth flashme.

JoeB

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, if a new game come out that has anti-flashme code wouldn't that also effect units that use an ez pass or like device (while you try to run the game from the memory backup device) ??

In which case, the memory backup device makers would probably figure out how to patch the game and remove the firmware detector, and the game will work find in its backup form.

The only advantage for getting a noflashme for the DS Lite is in case you ever want to move to a slot-1 solution. Many have an ez pass device build in, and it might be in conflict with flash me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k