Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
dudeonline said:
Could you cite your sources that say the n64 controller didn't use true analog?
My source is myself, as I said earlier in the thread:

George Dawes said:
No, the N64 stick uses a quadrature encoder (it is a optical accelerometer). It's a misnomer to call it an analog stick (sort of how calling games that saved to eep were still referred to as sram in the n64 days).

1up said:
Nintendo's stick was digital, but provided enough levels of sensitivity that the distinction was moot.

wikipaedo
In June of 1996, Nintendo introduced a thumb-operated control stick on their Nintendo 64 controller with Super Mario 64. While it was still a digital stick, not an analog one,[2] (one that operated on the same principles as a mechanical computer mouse)

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
George Dawes said:
dudeonline said:
Could you cite your sources that say the n64 controller didn't use true analog?
My source is myself

UUUGH! YOU are the reason we have to go through all that bibliography bullshit! So many different formats T_T....go to hell

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't care if they made the DS more like the PSP.

The reason why I play my DS every day, and haven't touched my PSP in years is because of games. I don't care about the 3D screen, or better graphics.

I care about the new games.

Samurai Goomba

Trophies
XP
Country
giratina16 said:
zeromac said:
Am i the only one that thinks this kid is mentally slow?

He talks so slow
and i hate his accent.. "GOT-A"
rofl.gif

Aaah yes the common English accent, it makes me sick to think I sound similar to that idiot.

I live in East Anglia and don't know anyone who speaks remotely like that little urchin...

OI DOINT TORK LOIK DIS (I also lack the boy's severe breathing problem).
rofl.gif

QUOTE(B-Blue @ Jun 28 2010, 04:57 PM)
Joystick
Analog Stick

unsure.gif

I was thinking the same thing.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
monkat said:
UUUGH! YOU are the reason we have to go through all that bibliography bullshit! So many different formats T_T....go to hell
WTF are you babbling on about? I gave you my source - my head, which was educated in a college; do you want the address as your 'source'?

So many different formats of what? Videotape? MicroCassette? HD Optical Disc?

English, do you speak it?

nIxx said:
Oh by the way some people here really don´t seem to know what analog means.
A mechanical mouse is analog ;)
Methylone is a good analogue. Those lovely beta-ketones...

The ball-mouse replaced the external wheels with a single ball that could rotate in any direction. It came as part of the hardware package of the Xerox Alto computer. Perpendicular chopper wheels housed inside the mouse's body chopped beams of light on the way to light sensors, thus detecting in their turn the motion of the ball.

Each wheel's disc, however, has a pair of light beams, located so that a given beam becomes interrupted, or again starts to pass light freely, when the other beam of the pair is about halfway between changes. Simple logic circuits interpret the relative timing to indicate which direction the wheel is rotating. (This scheme is sometimes called "quadrature encoding" or some similar term by technical people.) The mouse sends these signals to the computer system via a data-formatting IC and the mouse cable. The driver software in the system converts the signals into motion of the mouse cursor along X and Y axes on the screen.

Another type of mechanical mouse, the "analog mouse" (now generally regarded as obsolete), uses potentiometers rather than encoder wheels, and is typically designed to be plug-compatible with an analog joystick.

Try again though...

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Samurai Goomba said:
giratina16 said:
zeromac said:
Am i the only one that thinks this kid is mentally slow?

He talks so slow
and i hate his accent.. "GOT-A"
rofl.gif

Aaah yes the common English accent, it makes me sick to think I sound similar to that idiot.

I live in East Anglia and don't know anyone who speaks remotely like that little urchin...

OI DOINT TORK LOIK DIS (I also lack the boy's severe breathing problem).
rofl.gif

QUOTE(B-Blue @ Jun 28 2010, 04:57 PM)
Joystick
Analog Stick

unsure.gif

I was thinking the same thing.

Sorry I should have made it more clear, I meant the South East accent, most of us sound like that minus the breathing problem.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
George Dawes said:
monkat said:
WTF are you babbling on about? I gave you my source - my head, which was educated in a college; do you want the address as your 'source'?

So many different formats of what? Videotape? MicroCassette? HD Optical Disc?

English, do you speak it?

nIxx said:
Oh by the way some people here really don´t seem to know what analog means.
A mechanical mouse is analog
wink.gif

Methylone is a good analogue. Those lovely beta-ketones...

The ball-mouse replaced the external wheels with a single ball that could rotate in any direction. It came as part of the hardware package of the Xerox Alto computer. Perpendicular chopper wheels housed inside the mouse's body chopped beams of light on the way to light sensors, thus detecting in their turn the motion of the ball.

Each wheel's disc, however, has a pair of light beams, located so that a given beam becomes interrupted, or again starts to pass light freely, when the other beam of the pair is about halfway between changes. Simple logic circuits interpret the relative timing to indicate which direction the wheel is rotating. (This scheme is sometimes called "quadrature encoding" or some similar term by technical people.) The mouse sends these signals to the computer system via a data-formatting IC and the mouse cable. The driver software in the system converts the signals into motion of the mouse cursor along X and Y axes on the screen.

Another type of mechanical mouse, the "analog mouse" (now generally regarded as obsolete), uses potentiometers rather than encoder wheels, and is typically designed to be plug-compatible with an analog joystick.

Try again though...

Did you even read it !? well i will explain Digital only have 2 states 0=off and 1=on and Analog can be every possibly value even between that.

Digital:
220px-Zeroorderhold.signal.svg.png

Analog:
210px-Analogsignal.svg.png

You see the difference !?
Of course these days they use some tricks on the circuit to let the Digital Signal look more like the Analog one but that would be just to much to explain. (just look for Analog Digital Converter)

Samurai Goomba

Trophies
XP
Country
giratina16 said:
Sorry I should have made it more clear, I meant the South East accent, most of us sound like that minus the breathing problem.

Fair enough. Though even if you share the same accent, I'm sure you have a better grasp on enunciation.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
The analogue mouse was a variant of the mechanical mouse.

Of course digital is on/off, what are you trying to prove here?

Read up on (both analogue and digital) quadrature encoders.

As the article says (and I'm not very good with words, so easier to use theirs):

Mechanical absolute encoders
A metal disc containing a set of concentric rings of openings is fixed to an insulating disc, which is rigidly fixed to the shaft. A row of sliding contacts is fixed to a stationary object so that each contact wipes against the metal disc at a different distance from the shaft. As the disc rotates with the shaft, some of the contacts touch metal, while others fall in the gaps where the metal has been cut out. The metal sheet is connected to a source of electric current, and each contact is connected to a separate electrical sensor. The metal pattern is designed so that each possible position of the axle creates a unique binary code in which some of the contacts are connected to the current source (i.e. switched on) and others are not (i.e. switched off).

Optical absolute encoders
The optical encoder's disc is made of glass or plastic with transparent and opaque areas. A light source and photo detector array reads the optical pattern that results from the disc's position at any one time.

This code can be read by a controlling device, such as a microprocessor, to determine the angle of the shaft.

You will get the effect of analogue, but the components/system is digital.

A ball mouse (NOT an analogue mouse) and N64 stick both do things this way.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can we stop with all the analogue/digital pedantic twattery and get back to the matter at hand? i.e mocking the ill-informed, objectionable, pig-faced simpleton in the video.

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Samurai Goomba said:
giratina16 said:

Fair enough. Though even if you share the same accent, I'm sure you have a better grasp on enunciation.
Yeah I pronounce all the letters, that's why most people think I'm posh.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Video + Me = NERD RAGE!

Seriously this kid is the real life Raging Raven (if you know what she says, you'll get the reference).

Parablank

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lololololololololol.

That is all.

But seriously, "old school gamer"? Don't make me laugh. He's probably around 10 years old.

3D graphics, PSP had it first.
Seriously?

They've stole the analog stick from the PSP. Really? The analog stick isn't Sony owned, if he haven't noticed.

Obvious fanboy is obvious. Why can't he just agree that both handhalds have their own area that they excel in, and another area that they don't?

Quanno

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Copy of the PSP? Sure, it has two screens, touch screen, 3D effects, but those are the only similarities.
A joke, by the way

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
pozda said:
pig nose... well yeah, he looks like one of Dentons from "the league of gentlemen"! XD
The Dentons were the ones with the toads. Perhaps you're thinking of the Tattsyrups (Edward & Tubbs)?

_45093630_league_bbc226i.jpg

Uchiha Obito

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I'll not buy the 3DS because it still SUCKS

Yes we know it still sucks...

all our money away for being such a great console that really deserves our money
tongue.gif

I still say
yaynds.gif
and 3DS as well xD FTW!!!!!

Oh and:

jesus-facepalm-facepalm-jesus-epic-demotivational-poster-1218659828.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users