Why does moonshel do this?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by dlf, Oct 12, 2009.

Oct 12, 2009

Why does moonshel do this? by dlf at 3:43 AM (1,167 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. dlf
    OP

Member dlf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Why is it regardless of what firmware I have of my DS, If I try to add like ONE song or FOLDER (with some songs in it) the DS freezes? Besides the reformating and not, is there any way to permanently get rid of this annoyance? I want to listen to music when I'm out and know it's going to work without being reformated.

2. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    What version of moonshell are you using bro?

3. dlf
    OP

Member dlf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    1.71 I think with the newest firmware of cyclo. It's always done this when I've tried adding huge amounts of songs (750+) to a folder.

4. budrow66

Member budrow66 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Try breaking your music up into smaller folders with no more than like 120 songs or so. Like have 7 music folders instead of 1 with 750 files in it, Music-01, Music-02 ect. If I am not mistaken the Cyclo itself can only see 127 files per folder, so seems like this would help.
    Hope it helps.

5. dlf
    OP

Member dlf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Except that's annoying, if moonshel (1.71, NOT 2+) could read between directories I might instead of larger folders. \

6. ChuckMcB

Member ChuckMcB GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Just to add that Moonshell also scans all folders for media on startup...it's not uncommon for a malformed (or even mal-named) .mp3 to crash it. Try just putting one mp3 in your card, making sure it's a plain old english named file with english tags.

7. dlf
    OP

Member dlf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    They ARE in English, they are tagged (I think), it goes berserk when I try to have like 750+ songs in a folder and yet I'm loading the "root" folder (sd/GM/M/). I think I need some other music device . . .

8. ChuckMcB

United Kingdom
    That number of music files would work Moonshell hard, ever just left it to see if it ever completes (not practical..but just out of interest)

Have a go with LMP-ng as an alternative. (but I suspect the number of files may be an issue again)

9. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    I'm having a similar problem. I added about 20 files into various folders las night, and shuffled my files around so they were easier to access. And now I can't access my music at all. I'll try splitting my music into two folders, if that doesn't work I'll go buy myself a 2GB MP3 player, use that for music instead and fill the space on my Evo with some more movies.

10. ChuckMcB

United Kingdom
    Blaze163, if you temporarily remove all music files from your card does Moonshell then load?

11. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Moonshell was never the problem, it'll play my videos without question, same goes for text files and photos. It was just music files it was struggling with. I've now transferred all the music files into a new folder imaginatively named 'music 2' and they're working perfectly. Exactly the same setup as when in 'music' but in a new folder. I could do the same thing for my DS save files but why bother? I only access them on my laptop anyway, not through moonshell. So it doesn't worry me. Seems the problem was some sort of corruption in the original folder, not the actual files contained therein. Either way, it seems to be working for now. Will give it some extensive testing and see if there are any more problems. That would explain a few things. The music and DS folders were the only ones I accessed during my last file swap, I guess something went wrong and corrupted the folder paths. Just create new folders and the problem's solved. [​IMG]