Why does mk8d crash when I edit menu.sarc and common.sarc?

BrooksTheBoss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to MK8D modding so this might just be a problem on my end, but whenever I edit menu.sarc and common.sarc from my nxdumptool dump using switch toolbox and put them in atmosphere\contents\0100152000022000\romfs\UI\cmn and launch MK8D it freezes at the title screen and then crashes shortly after. Does anyone know why this might happen?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to MK8D modding so this might just be a problem on my end, but whenever I edit menu.sarc and common.sarc from my nxdumptool dump using switch toolbox and put them in atmosphere\contents\0100152000022000\romfs\UI\cmn and launch MK8D it freezes at the title screen and then crashes shortly after. Does anyone know why this might happen?
Please don’t double post: https://gbatemp.net/threads/mk8d-crashes-when-i-edit-common-sarc-and-menu-sarc.623048/

Have you tried just adding unmodified files? This will isolate the mod process you are using from the content you are creating.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what do you mean by adding unmodified files and what do you mean it will isolate the modding process?
you are editing files and adding them as mods.

There are two things that could be going wrong:

1) the way you are injecting your mod is incorrect

2) the content inside of your mod is incorrect

Each of those will require a different tactic to resolve and trying to tackle both as a compound question makes it really hard to troubleshoot.

I'm suggesting a way to isolate them by putting unmodified files in your mod so you will know whether or not the problem is situation 1 or 2 above.

BrooksTheBoss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ohhh ok ill try that
Post automatically merged:

Also, when i dump the romfs should I turn the use update/dlc option on or off? I'm using nxdumptool

Last edited by BrooksTheBoss,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
ohhh ok ill try that
Post automatically merged:

Also, when i dump the romfs should I turn the use update/dlc option on or off? I'm using nxdumptool
Of course you must dump files that are matching your game version. Using files from older or newer version of game is often a simple way to crash game.

Always dump with update applied IF you have update installed

Reactions: binkinator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, yeah it's an ATX for sure lol +1