Why do you use DNS?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 949
  • Replies 3
D

Deleted User

OP
Recently I've been wondering if using, or setting up an DNS would "improve the overall system stability and make adjustments to enhance my user experience",
I'm just a bit worried about my privacy on the Internet.
Aside of using trusted sites, I'm wondering if setting up a "personal" DNS would make my Internet browsing safer.

Truth is that... I have never went somewhere else on the internet besides Facebook, Pinterest, DA, Youtube... this place... and some random pages that contains information of my interest. Now I'm interested in registering my credit card on the Internet (Paypal, Amazon, Etsy, etc. etc.) and I'm worried about what could go wrong with that information.

Then I found OpenDNS ... but as far as I know about the site, you just settup their DNS address and voilá... more privacy and info-protection.

While I do understand what an DNS is, I can't quite grasp why certain DNS are "better" than others and how they can provide information protection.

Would my information be safer if I settup an DNS addres? (different from the one I currently have)
Does having an Open DNS, a Public DNS or a Private DNS grants me with user info protection?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You can’t change the DNS address you have, only the DNS server you use to translate URLs to the public IP of whatever web server or service you are trying to access. A DNS is basically a directory listing of where to find anything in the internet.

The advantage of using OpenDNS is that it won’t be as shitty as the one your ISP provides as they dedicate the server to literally one task. Alternatives are Google DNS where google can use their powerful servers to act as DNS at the cost of them collecting telemetry from you, or you can try the new one that’s been gaining a lot of popularity (1.1.1.1) because it protects your information (its powered by Cloudflare and APNIC).

There’s little point in setting up a personal DNS unless you have a lot of devices on your network where you want to have more control over ACLs and security (I.e a corporate environment). There are better ways to secure your network or privacy than building your own DNS server. It’s better to just use one of the major ones (like 1.1.1.1).

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Adguard DNS to block ads on some devices that I can't easily install an adblocker to (e.g. my Roku TV).

The problem with using a DNS for privacy is the website you're connecting to can still see what you're doing. As long as you're using TLS (HTTPS), you don't have to worry too much about your ISP seeing what you do. They'll only see the domains you visit but not what you're doing.

For privacy, you should do the following:
  1. With whichever web browser you're using, install something like uBlock Origin and make sure you're using the EasyPrivacy list.
  2. Install something like HTTPS Everywhere to make sure you're always using HTTPS whenever possible.
  3. Block third-party cookies in your browser settings.
For extreme privacy:
  1. Clear all of your browsing data (cookies, history, etc.).
  2. Setup your browser to automatically clear cookies and/or history each time you close your browser.
  3. Don't login to any user accounts when you can help it. For example, don't login to your Google account when you're doing a Google search.
For privacy from your ISP:
  1. Invest in a good VPN.

Last edited by Lacius,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself