Why Do Torrents Go Slow On Uni Internet?

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am getting about 1kb/s right now. Here are my speed test results

Do I need to forward my ports? Can I even do that on university internet?

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, something weird just happened. I stopped my Demonoid torrent, and then my other torrent skyrocketed to 990kb/s. I guess its just that one torrent that was messed up and going slow. But before I left home, it was going about 70kb/s. Oh well, I guess I can't watch Sealab for 29 days
frown.gif

Also, if I can portforward and anyone knows how to do it, tell me, I'm still interested in that

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
da_head said:
wtf??!?!?! 900kb/s? how the hell r u gettin that o.o
i'm dling something with 7101 seeds and 23225 peers, and I'm only getting like 50kb/s? maybe my uni's internet sucks...

fake peers and seeds with numbers that size no doubt a heck of a lot are spoofing their seeding!

and .....FAST UPLOAD = ...SLOW DOWNLOAD cap you upload speeds something reasonable and your download speeds will return to normal

as for UNI sucky speeds EVERYONE ELSE THERE IS PROBABLY DOING THE SAME!! leeching at the UNI bandwidth expense
frown.gif

either that or some of the PACKET SHAPE or filter some traffic/slow it down to give others priority just the same way most ISP's do now
mad.gif

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I regularly get under 1 KB/s. And the fastest I've ever got is about 250 KB/s. How you can get 990 KB/s is beyond me.
Or maybe I'm just incredibly unlucky.
Does anyone know whether Virgin will cap your internet if they think you're using torrents?
I just have to put up with leaving on uTorrent constantly. Takes like a week to download a decent sized PS2 game though (about 2GB).

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's called packet shaping. They limit or outright ban using torrents and P2P applications. The only times you'll have a great download is downloading off another person who's inside the university network or using http protocols.

Also, just about every university has a monitoring system for bandwidth usage on the ResNet.

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm going to download a CD right now to test it out again. I'm not worried about getting caught. A CD once a month or a movie every few weeks isn't too bad. I'm not going to be downloading Xbox 360 ISOs while I am here. (maybe in one of my friends rooms though
ph34r.gif
)

EDIT: It's currently downloading at 1.8kb/s. I'm going to do a few more tests though. I want mah speed back.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
University internet networks are specially built for them. They utilize their own infrastructure and do not rely on the common internet service providers in your area. So they also are allowed to do network shaping on their network. In their case, they would allow only a few protocols to operate at full speed such as common HTTP and FTP. In the case of torrents, they know all you are going to do is suck away at the bandwidth that the university has so they would throttle you heavily.

Used to be exactly like that back in the day I was in university (like a year ago).

Solution? Find an unsecured wifi network and download there.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they block port access just for this situation
HTTP downloading is good though, you can rape that good nice

also I get like 60mbps at my college :3

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you're using a laptop and using wireless connection, the chances are they can't tell who you are.
But if you use a wired network (like in a dorm), don't be surprised when you receive a letter regarding piracy from the university.

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't been able to duplicate my speeds yet
frown.gif

I'm using a wired connection, because the only non-secure connection the school has, I can't get any speed at all on it for torrents. Whats weird is that when I left for my class, my torrent had an ETA of about 20hrs or so, and when I came back, it had downloaded. Maybe it peeks at certain points, for a while. I'm going to download a torrent tonight and test it out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, so one the salesman told him would get him bitches
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    In my experience women like a big shift stick with lots of power.
    Something that really burns rubbers
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only thing a nice car will get you is a gold digger. What happened to falling in love, no matter if I'm on a bus, or driving a nice car. No offense tho, I do like nice cars.
    +1
    Nothing like tearing ass up on a back road
    BigOnYa I think narcissism has all but killed love
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I think I can agree on that.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People tend to think look at everything I have gains attention but ends up making them look worse for what it is
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It would be funny to pick up a girl in a real expensive car, then next date show up in a piece o shit car just to see her reaction. If she was real, it wouldn't matter.
    Everyone is disposable and replaceable, lies and deception are the coin of the realm. I have never felt so alone and so at odds with the world.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't think we should see others as disposable just if they can show any glimps of care about humanity should be forgiven
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, she would leave you inmediately
    +1
    For a time I considered creating a new big bang. Wipe the slate clean and start from scratch....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your closest friend probably talks negative about you the most
    +1
    I know I talk shit about that Ken guy constantly lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah I just had to consile it's a age thing and I can get erect
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Right.. Take a number
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Binkinator is still around you guys. I just saw him in one of the Discord servers that I'm in.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get more mad when they learn you aren't as dimwitted as they think
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, that guy who was dissappeared?
    My favorite thing about that Ken, if they talk bad about others to you. They doing it to you too.
    Always remember that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    More or less then they drop you and blame you when you find out
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: More or less then they drop you and blame you when you find out