Why Do Torrents Go Slow On Uni Internet?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by science, Sep 10, 2008.

Sep 10, 2008
  1. science
    OP

Member science science rules

Canada
    I am getting about 1kb/s right now. Here are my speed test results

[​IMG]

Do I need to forward my ports? Can I even do that on university internet?

2. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    hmm that's odd. i'm at uni rite now, and i'm getting decent speeds (around 50kb/s ish)

3. science
    OP

Canada
    Okay, something weird just happened. I stopped my Demonoid torrent, and then my other torrent skyrocketed to 990kb/s. I guess its just that one torrent that was messed up and going slow. But before I left home, it was going about 70kb/s. Oh well, I guess I can't watch Sealab for 29 days [​IMG]

Also, if I can portforward and anyone knows how to do it, tell me, I'm still interested in that

4. da_head

Canada
    wtf??!?!?! 900kb/s? how the hell r u gettin that o.o
    i'm dling something with 7101 seeds and 23225 peers, and i'm only getting like 50kb/s? maybe my uni's internet sucks...

5. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

fake peers and seeds with numbers that size no doubt a heck of a lot are spoofing their seeding!

and .....FAST UPLOAD = ...SLOW DOWNLOAD cap you upload speeds something reasonable and your download speeds will return to normal

as for UNI sucky speeds EVERYONE ELSE THERE IS PROBABLY DOING THE SAME!! leeching at the UNI bandwidth expense [​IMG]

either that or some of the PACKET SHAPE or filter some traffic/slow it down to give others priority just the same way most ISP's do now [​IMG]

6. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    wow your allowed to download stuff off bit torrent?

you better watch out

7. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I regularly get under 1 KB/s. And the fastest I've ever got is about 250 KB/s. How you can get 990 KB/s is beyond me.
    Or maybe I'm just incredibly unlucky.
    Does anyone know whether Virgin will cap your internet if they think you're using torrents?
    I just have to put up with leaving on uTorrent constantly. Takes like a week to download a decent sized PS2 game though (about 2GB).

8. da_head

Canada
    well obviously i'm not, but hopefully i won't get caught [​IMG]

9. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It's called packet shaping. They limit or outright ban using torrents and P2P applications. The only times you'll have a great download is downloading off another person who's inside the university network or using http protocols.

Also, just about every university has a monitoring system for bandwidth usage on the ResNet.

10. science
    OP

Canada
    I'm going to download a CD right now to test it out again. I'm not worried about getting caught. A CD once a month or a movie every few weeks isn't too bad. I'm not going to be downloading Xbox 360 ISOs while I am here. (maybe in one of my friends rooms though [​IMG] )

EDIT: It's currently downloading at 1.8kb/s. I'm going to do a few more tests though. I want mah speed back.

11. science
    OP

Canada
    I got about 600kb/s downloading from Qshare. Still trying to get better speeds on torrents though

12. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Are you using anything to stop the uni seeing that you are downloading from bit torrent?

13. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    University internet networks are specially built for them. They utilize their own infrastructure and do not rely on the common internet service providers in your area. So they also are allowed to do network shaping on their network. In their case, they would allow only a few protocols to operate at full speed such as common HTTP and FTP. In the case of torrents, they know all you are going to do is suck away at the bandwidth that the university has so they would throttle you heavily.

Used to be exactly like that back in the day I was in university (like a year ago).

Solution? Find an unsecured wifi network and download there.

14. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    they block port access just for this situation
    HTTP downloading is good though, you can rape that good nice

also I get like 60mbps at my college :3

15. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    If you're using a laptop and using wireless connection, the chances are they can't tell who you are.
    But if you use a wired network (like in a dorm), don't be surprised when you receive a letter regarding piracy from the university.

16. science
    OP

Canada
    I haven't been able to duplicate my speeds yet [​IMG]

I'm using a wired connection, because the only non-secure connection the school has, I can't get any speed at all on it for torrents. Whats weird is that when I left for my class, my torrent had an ETA of about 20hrs or so, and when I came back, it had downloaded. Maybe it peeks at certain points, for a while. I'm going to download a torrent tonight and test it out.