1. EnderMK

OP EnderMK Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    I recently installed the last update of Stardew Valley and began a farm, when I tried to exctract the save and play it a pc with the same version, it didn't seem to work, looking into the save file, when I try to open the main save file, it's illegible, although the SaveGameInfo seems fine. The main file of a pc save is an XML and also much bigger than the switch version. The problem is that this didn't use to happen before, because before the update, switch saves were identical to pc ones, there are many reports about this. So, is this a problem with my save? Is it because the developers have changed it? and most important, is there a way to solve it?

2. LikeChrist

LikeChrist Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi, did you find a solution for this, or further information on wether the save can be made readable on PC? You mentioned that there are other reports on this, I am curious where that thread is located so I can follow to see if anyone has found a way to convert the file.

3. EnderMK

OP EnderMK Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    The reports I mentioned are about the saves in previous versions of Stardew Valley in switch, which could be read in pc as a normal XML.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/stardew-valley-pc-saves-working-on-switch-version.510107/
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/stardew-valley-save-transfer-between-pc-and-save-editing.503643/
    These two threads are about saves in previous versions, proving that the save file was identical to the pc version.

I still haven't found any solution to the problem with saves in the last version and no one seems to be discussing this issue.

4. Zkajavier

Zkajavier GBAtemp Regular

Costa Rica
    The new saves are encrypted even to the game itself on Switch now... If you go and delete the update and leave just the base game and try to load your save file the game crashes lol.

All old save editors will only recognize the SaveGameInfo portion of the save and will also crash while trying to load any switch save file.

I think we are safe to say that cross-platform save compatibility is just gone for the Switch :sad:

However, I found some interesting data from the changelogs:
    Code:
     You can no longer load saves created in a newer version of the game than you have. (This will only affect future versions of the game.) 
    That's for the 1.4 update, and well, currently the latest version of Switch is 1.4.2 while the latest version on PC is 1.4.3.

Patch notes on 1.4.3 state:
    Code:
     There is a patch out now for Xbox and PS4, and coming soon (it’s still in certification) for Switch. 
    So maybe once 1.4.3 hits the Switch we might, hopefully, try again?

EDIT:

Surprise surprise, the switch version was updated to 1.4.3 and it's still not possible to extract its save files and use them in PC, they will always crash. I submitted this as a bug to concernedape, but well... who knows if it will work ever again. All hopes are lost.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    LikeChrist and LadyHaywood like this.
  5. Balorin

Balorin Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So...I played around with this, after google did nothing to help me.

Turns out, if you take a PC save, you can edit it, and it will load on the Switch version just fine. I made sure my Stardew Valley PC version was 1.4.3, as well.

However, once you load it on the Switch the save file goes from 2000kb to 80kb, so whatever encryption is happening happens once the Switch saves the savefile.

6. unknowndatax

unknowndatax Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    The save is compressed using Ionic.Zlib with default compression. I've attached a tool to (de)compress the save.

Attached Files:

Balorin and LikeChrist like this.
  7. Balorin

Balorin Member
    Newcomer

United States
    This worked awesomely. I can now transfer my save back and forth between my PC and Switch. Thank you!

Guess it was less encryption and more compression to save file space on the Switch (and explains why no other version that I've seen has this, or at least, no one's mentioned it!)

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - encrypted, versions, Stardew