Hacking Why do people say the R4DS is useless?

jurassicbond

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen this claim several times on the internet. Most of the claims I've seen suggest that either there are already games that don't work, or in the near future no new releases will work on it. But I have never had this problem. Sure, I've had to patch my rom a few times, but there has never been a game that I couldn't get to work with a little bit of research.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
jurassicbond said:
I've seen this claim several times on the internet. Most of the claims I've seen suggest that either there are already games that don't work, or in the near future no new releases will work on it. But I have never had this problem. Sure, I've had to patch my rom a few times, but there has never been a game that I couldn't get to work with a little bit of research.

You mean like Mario & Luigi:Bowsers Inside Story?

edit Damnit, hit the post button by accident! lol

It's not useless as such, but with no active team behind it users will have to do more and more patching as it gets older. Certain save types may not be supported in the future, certain piracy protections that need actual firmware fixes will never get resolved. It's not dead, it's just resting in a retirement home.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well if you're happy playing old DS games on your R4 then thats great but if you ever plan on playing some of the big up coming titles its very doubtful there will be a fix in the future for R4 since so many people are upgrading to better flash carts.

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
The problem with the R4 is, as far as I can get it, the fact that it's not updated anymore.
You know, having to patch your roms is not that "user friendly", and a flash cart should be, nowadays, the more user friendly possible.

I also have a R4 (and a G6 Flash) and can't complain.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i also have a R4 but it doesnt get any use anymore now that i have an AK2i but i never had any problems with it but with a lot of good games coming out in the future and nintendos antipiracy thing id rather play it safe and get a better card which i did =D

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4 is still my 2nd fav flashcart. It was simple, and everything seemed to load extremely fast. Although, those were my impressions after using the DS-X which just navigating folders tooks at least 5 seconds to load. But if I rember correctly, there was no loading when you started it up, and it was somehow just fast when navigating and loading games.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
not true its good for old games and everybody has had once not me but i had edge and everybody upgrades once they join gbatamp lol

Aia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more that the R4 is outdated and nothing is being done to rectify that. If I recall correctly, the manufacturers/development team were shut down over a year ago which means that new copy protection schemes will cause it to choke up.

I received one as a gift when I was working in Summer 2007 in Taiwan and its held up for me flawlessly since then. However, today, the R4 can't really be recommended. However, it's important to value its contributions. It's one of the first major Slot-1 cards, didn't require any modifications and was excellent for its time (assuming you could find a real one!).

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its just... If you have the money don't buy a R4,my first cart was a R4 and I can say it was awesome. But now with the times changing and the DSi being out,its like a don't get that card,even if it does work on DSi,just so many better ones.

@PharaohsVizier - What you said.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a good budget card is ak2i yet its good but if you want a nicerr gui and sturder m3i zero i wanted on but my dad wouldnt buy it he said he would get the cheapest good card

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah,I dont believe I would choose another card over Acekard 2i... YET! If they make one I believe is way better other then a GUI,I could see why I would buy it. I can play games at full speed. Good enough =P

jurassicbond

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I never thought about other cards when posting this. I've had an R4DS almost since Day one and have never had problems that five minutes of internet research couldn't solve. I've never researched or tried a newer card. Overall, it's been a lot less hassle than some of the stuff I've had to go through on my Wii.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hacking a home system is so much harder then a hand held. I know what you mean though,sometimes its best to stick with what you know and had barely any problems with. But sometimes a update is needed,the only problem really is a dead team.

asdf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's useless because A: It's no longer supported by the official team
B: It has so many clones, it's hardly possible to name them all.
C: It has so many troubles with newer games, it's not worth the $10-$20 you spend on it.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
asdf said:
It's useless because A: It's no longer supported by the official team
B: It has so many clones, it's hardly possible to name them all.
C: It has so many troubles with newer games, it's not worth the $10-$20 you spend on it.
I agree , should just get m3i zero,acekard 2i,or a CycloDS.

Gobnoblin

Trophies
XP
Country
far from useless i think... just nowhere near top notch... my littleguy is running my original r4 and I am still running my r4sdhc plenty of better cards but these things just keep plugging away.... kinda like a reliable k car compared to a corvette lol

mk123a

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I had a R4 from day one, when it was the king and holy grail of all slot - 1's. Still have my R4 today and its far from useless. Sure eventually I had to switch over to using YSmenu on it for better compatibility, but its just a testament to how well the card is holding after all these years... the only exception is probably mario and luigi bowser's inside story. Eh I'll eventually migrate to a DSi card when i get a DSi or when development in DSi brew occurs, but so far R4 still works

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
who cares i get flamed or not

r4 is not useless! i love r4 and it is one of the better cart if it gets the actual support

why is r4 useless
First, is those user who are not capable to wait or sorting problems out themselves that make it useless!

Second, thanks to those clones (however, some clones are doing a good job on updating their product)

EDIT: provide a much detail elaboration on my first point

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?