Why do I download so slow?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Satangel
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 4,917
  • Replies Replies 37
Blackcats - massive win.

Ehh. Demonoid is fine for me and besides I joined there once and I never downloaded or seeded anything. I'm probably banned due to no activity
laugh.gif
 
Seeders?

Bah


Usenet all the way!!!!

Try it and you will be shocked on how fast it is, you don't need to have seeders. You can get a 14 day trial.


But after you have to pay. Why pay when you can get something for free?


Peace of mind.. no IP broadcast.. Long retention.. don't have to rely on seeders.. fast downloads.. Logically compartmentalized.
Torrents are useful from time to time, but the money I pay for usenet is WELL worth it. ABSOLUTELY wouldn't give it up unless I had to.
The "it's free, so it's better" argument doesn't hold up well here. I mean, you can pay money for a hamburger, or you can go out behind McDonalds, root through the dumpster, and find FREE FOOD!
tongue.gif

Couldn't put that better myself.

Usenet is just wonderful, i used UseNeXT's 14 day trial and purchased it the next day the trial ran out.

and also you get some great Porn out of Usenet....but thats for another topic
tongue.gif
wink.gif


Hmmmm usenet eh? my friend loves it, ive tried to look into it but never really figured out how it works. Anybody have any good advice for me if I want to start using it?

Anybody reccomend anything other than UseNeXT?

Whats the average monthly price I should expect to pay?

So, with UseNeXT, is it $12 a month to download 10 Gigs a month? that seems a little strange, i think im reading that wrong
http://www.usenext.com/UseNextDE/shopInt/o...&1194497438110&


so yeah, any advice is greatly appreciated,
Thanks!
 
Can you buy gears of war on steam? Im new to steam so im not sure how to tell what will and wont be available on it.

Anything madepublished by Microsoft will use its slightly-hetero Live for PC service which no one cares about.
I dont get it...
If its made by Valve or a company associated with Valve will on steam. Anything made by Microsoft or someone affiliated with Microsoft will most likely be on Live.
 
Why so many leechers for such an old game?

Game came out yesterday.

Anyway, I'm getting it off of usenet right now. I realised how awesome my free ISP usenet is, turns out I have no bandwidth limits. Hell I'd pay more for the usenet alone than what I'm paying for internet right now if I had to buy usenet alone.

My ISP's usenet server rocks. Because they dump all the traffic on usenetserver.com No bandwidth limit, 60 days retention, excellent speeds. I couldn't ask for more.

Also, have you tried forwarding your ports? A lot of newbs don't remember to correctly forward their ports and that does serious damage to your down speed.

utorrentdl3.png

See that green check at the bottom? That means you don't have any connection problems. That's utorrent though, because I'm not sure how other clients show it.
 
Getting Slackware I see
laugh.gif
. I'm putting openSUSE on my linux box as soon as i get my new HD (500GB FTW).

On topic, does usenet use all you internet speed up(I mean I have 512KB, but I only download at 60KB would it do 512KB)
 
Getting Slackware I see
laugh.gif
. I'm putting openSUSE on my linux box as soon as i get my new HD (500GB FTW).

On topic, does usenet use all you internet speed up(I mean I have 512KB, but I only download at 60KB would it do 512KB)

Meh. When you say you have 512KB do you mean that your ISP says 512? Because they often refer to the speeds in Kilobits. For example, 1.5Mb/s would be about 180KB/s. Get it? KB=8Kb, MB=8Mb
 
I refrain from paying for Usenet. It's like paying for Warez. That's unethical. Even if it's just a small amount. Better use torrents for free, than paying someone as morally corrupt as UseNeXt. There's no difference to the pressed russian DVDs you can buy at flea markets there, IMHO. These people are profiting from what they do without giving anything back.

Piracy should be free!
 
Seeders?

Bah


Usenet all the way!!!!

Try it and you will be shocked on how fast it is, you don't need to have seeders. You can get a 14 day trial.


But after you have to pay. Why pay when you can get something for free?


Peace of mind.. no IP broadcast.. Long retention.. don't have to rely on seeders.. fast downloads.. Logically compartmentalized.
Torrents are useful from time to time, but the money I pay for usenet is WELL worth it. ABSOLUTELY wouldn't give it up unless I had to.
The "it's free, so it's better" argument doesn't hold up well here. I mean, you can pay money for a hamburger, or you can go out behind McDonalds, root through the dumpster, and find FREE FOOD!
tongue.gif

Couldn't put that better myself.

Usenet is just wonderful, i used UseNeXT's 14 day trial and purchased it the next day the trial ran out.

and also you get some great Porn out of Usenet....but thats for another topic
tongue.gif
wink.gif


Hmmmm usenet eh? my friend loves it, ive tried to look into it but never really figured out how it works. Anybody have any good advice for me if I want to start using it?

Anybody reccomend anything other than UseNeXT?

Whats the average monthly price I should expect to pay?

So, with UseNeXT, is it $12 a month to download 10 Gigs a month? that seems a little strange, i think im reading that wrong
http://www.usenext.com/UseNextDE/shopInt/o...&1194497438110&


so yeah, any advice is greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

I use Giganews. As far as a client goes try Newsbin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NewsBin. Once you go usenet you wont go back to torrents.
 
Getting Slackware I see
laugh.gif
. I'm putting openSUSE on my linux box as soon as i get my new HD (500GB FTW).

On topic, does usenet use all you internet speed up(I mean I have 512KB, but I only download at 60KB would it do 512KB)


Meh. When you say you have 512KB do you mean that your ISP says 512? Because they often refer to the speeds in Kilobits. For example, 1.5Mb/s would be about 180KB/s. Get it? KB=8Kb, MB=8Mb

Yes my ISP says 512KB
 
I refrain from paying for Usenet. It's like paying for Warez. That's unethical. Even if it's just a small amount. Better use torrents for free, than paying someone as morally corrupt as UseNeXt. There's no difference to the pressed russian DVDs you can buy at flea markets there, IMHO. These people are profiting from what they do without giving anything back.

Piracy should be free!

Hypocrite. You're not paying for the warez. Usenet is not only used to download y'know. The companies profit from your access to their usenet server NOT what you download. That's like saying paying for internet access is immoral because you can dowload pirated software through http. I guess you'll stop paying your ISP soon? And just so you know. ISPs usually have a usenet server.
 
I refrain from paying for Usenet. It's like paying for Warez. That's unethical. Even if it's just a small amount. Better use torrents for free, than paying someone as morally corrupt as UseNeXt. There's no difference to the pressed russian DVDs you can buy at flea markets there, IMHO. These people are profiting from what they do without giving anything back.

Piracy should be free!
Quoted for truth.

Although I do use Usenet now and then myself. I think the only stuff I downloaded from Usenet ever where The Indigo Prophecy (for trying it out), MySims (for my sister) and Halo 3 (obviously). I don't really pay monthly for it, though. Bought myself 20GB for like 8$ and that has been working for me so far.

BT FTW

@iritegood:
So, I'm sure that providers like UseNeXT are totally NOT expecting us to leech stuff from Usenet.
My provider for example does offer Usenet, but no binary stuff. If you pay for a service like Usenext, you technically are indeed paying for Warez.
 
Usenet gets the win. But regardless of what you use to download your warez, you're still paying for it. Most usenet providers charge you a monthly or bandwidth transfer fee. Most (read: all) ISP's charge you a monthly fee as well. Paying for usenet access to download warez from usenet is pretty much the same as paying for internet access to download warez using torrents. I don't pay for usenet access separately now as it's included with my ISP but back when I did pay for a couple years ago, being the download fiend I was then and am now, it was worth the $15 a month for unlimited downloads and not having to deal with the few hassles of torrenting or P2P. The only cases in which this could be disputed are those in which your internet access is free. In that case, you could torrent and your warez would technically be free. Otherwise, we all pay for the warez we download.

Side note: Why the hell is Firefox telling me I need to capitalize "internet?" When the hell did the internets get a capital letter?
 
Usenet gets the win. But regardless of what you use to download your warez, you're still paying for it. Most usenet providers charge you a monthly or bandwidth transfer fee. Most (read: all) ISP's charge you a monthly fee as well. Paying for usenet access to download warez from usenet is pretty much the same as paying for internet access to download warez using torrents. I don't pay for usenet access separately now as it's included with my ISP but back when I did pay for a couple years ago, being the download fiend I was then and am now, it was worth the $15 a month for unlimited downloads and not having to deal with the few hassles of torrenting or P2P. The only cases in which this could be disputed are those in which your internet access is free. In that case, you could torrent and your warez would technically be free. Otherwise, we all pay for the warez we download.

Side note: Why the hell is Firefox telling me I need to capitalize "internet?" When the hell did the internets get a capital letter?

Yeah, that's where the analogy doesn't work. We all (mostly) pay for our internet. But we don't just use it to leech stuff. At least I don't. People argue that with Usenet it is the same. Well, it isn't. You pay for Usenet because you wanna download stuff with it. If you just wanted it for messages, you could use the Usenet service that usually comes free with your provider.
I want to see just one users that pays for Usenext service and actually just uses his account for posting.

If you were using your internet connection soley for the purpose of downloading something, then the analogy would indeed work. But like that, it's just the Usenet people trying to tell themselves they aren't just paying someone else for their games.
 
Hypocrite. [...]
I beg to differ. UseNext and other alt.binaries.* providers specifically advertise their service as a plattform for downloading warez. Just look at their websites, where they advertise astronomical numbers for MP3s, Videos, Games and Apps being available through their servers. My ISP doesn't do that. I use my internet access for a lot of things, piracy is just the icing on the cake. And, infact, I have unlimited Usenet access to discussion groups via my ISP, with alt.binaries.* being the exception.

Besides, anyone knew that Newsgroups are a terribly uneconomic way of downloading? You're additionally downloading one third of the size more than the resulting file, as files have to be 7-Bit encoded, due to Usenet being for text messages only. It just wasn't meant for filesharing.
 

Site & Scene News