Why can't the 3ds decapping fund use paypal?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by lol u mad brah, Feb 13, 2013.

1. lol u mad brah
    OP

Newcomer lol u mad brah Member

Greece
    Still wondering about it , i want to donate 10e but i can't :/.

2. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    They did initially, but Paypal froze their assets so nobody could donate further.

3. lol u mad brah
    OP

Newcomer lol u mad brah Member

Greece
    Can't they like "sell virtual goods" to collect the funds?
    So it won't be like donating but buying something?

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Paypal has nothing against personal donations.

Paypal is, however, taking bribes or something from Nintendo, and will not allow money to go through them for anything homebrew-related, like flash carts or the decapping fundraiser.

Paypal is not an option for anything involving this. They have repeatedly locked accounts of companies and shops for this kind of thing, and we just have to deal with it.

pelago likes this.
  5. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Nintendo is known to exert pressure on PayPal. So PayPal is on crack down when it comes to this and sellers that sells flash cart.

6. Pleng

Member Pleng GBAtemp Maniac

Thailand
    Do you have a source for this?

7. Rydian

United States
    Might as well ask for a source that your girlfriend farts when you cuddle at night? :P

It's common sense.

Paypal has nothing against personal donations, but the moment they find an account is taking donations to scan the 3DS's chips (which is perfectly legal), they cut it off.
    Paypal has nothing against small businesses and online shops, but they moment they find one selling flash carts, they cut it off.

We have seen this time and time again, and it's always relating to things Nintendo doesn't want to happen (but can't outlaw).

Just so we're clear, Paypal is not legally a bank, so they're not bound by the same laws and regulations. It's just A Dick Move™.

Ammako, Awdofgum and geoflcl like this.
  8. Pleng

Thailand
    Um PayPal is a bank, certainly in Europe.

And PayPal have a history of freezing funds to any account that suddenly starts receiving a large amount of donations over a short time. Open Pandora were faced with it, as was a media centre project that I was involved in years ago.

So no, it's not common sense to me that Nintendo is in bed with PayPal.

9. Clydefrosch

Member Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    you could risk sending someone else those 10 bucks on paypal for whatever reason like an ebay purchase, so they can use whatever donation method is actually used for the whole thing? 10 more dollar for the decapping then

10. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    Wouldn't offering a wallpaper for 1$ for example bypass Paypal's policies?

11. Rydian

United States
    Not in the US, and they don't WANT to be treated like a bank either, because it'd stop them from being able to do this.
    http://news.cnet.com/2100-1017-858264.html

This isn't about a range of funds, though. It's about flash carts. There's tons of situations where paypal accounts involving flash carts and other homebrew things have been locked without large donations involved.

It is if you look at more than one or two examples.
    Also apparently you weren't around during this.
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/paypal-cracking-down-on-flashcart-stores.324432/
    Which is still going on. Most sites have to keep their paypal info private (request users e-mail them for the paypal address) so that paypal doesn't learn that flash carts and other Nintendo-hated devices/activities.

And hey, remember that one shop that was doing that, but then then one customer put something like "R4i Gold" in the purchase info title for one purchase? And so paypal found out, and locked the account.

Seriously, pay some attention to what's going on around here and it becomes obvious. Paypal itself has no reason to lock accounts dealing with flash carts or system hacking, in fact they would benefit monetarily from it due to their fees... but they lock it, so they're obviously gaining MORE than they'd lose from the actions.

12. Sege

Newcomer Sege Newbie

Slovenia
    Some good news for the OP and anyone else. :)

Note: We are capable of accepting donations by Payza, Interac e-Transfer and Paypal.
    Please contact us by email if you have any questions about these methods. (check it out urself: http://n-dev.net/donate.php)

13. GamerzHell9137

Member GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Note: We are capable of accepting donations by Payza, Interac e-Transfer and Paypal.
    Please contact us by email if you have any questions about these methods.

EDIT: :ph34r:

14. Pleng

Thailand

Right, so when I asked for a source, would have been easier to just give me that one rather than say "it's common sense". I still don't see this as evidence of Nintendo getting involved though. All it takes is one person to complain and the account will be frozen - it's against PayPal's policy to allow payments for such items. Could be a member of FAST, could be any anti-piracy geek with a bit too much time on his hands, or could even be a disgruntled customer who never received his product.

Anyway, flashcarts are one thing - they are documented by PayPal to be against their religion. The decapping fund wasn't anything to to with flashcarts, and it looks to me like a typical case of a dormant account, or one that generally sees very little action, suddenly getting a load of payments. It is well documented that PayPal tends to freeze accounts in these circumstances. Regardless of the recipient’s intentions

15. Rydian

United States
    From what I know it was their personal account. And hey, I've tossed a few bucks at people like Pate and nothing happens, and people (before kickstarter) took personal donations for indie games (or bought indie games directly via paypal before Steam became more open), and nothing happens to them.

But the moment flash carts, homebrew, or console hacking get involved...

Again, Paypal isn't a bank, so it's not like this is illegal, I'm not even accusing them of some hidden crime or anything.

16. Pleng

Thailand
    It has nothing to do (in this case) with flash carts being involved.

Yes, you've sent the odd donation for an indie game. No worries there, the author probably gets a few sales a day, and his sales volumes will have gently increased.

This was a personal account that all of a sudden received hundreds of pounds worth of donations over just a few days. It is standard protocol for PayPal to freeze accounts in this situation and ask for clarification of where funds come from. It seems that, in this case, PayPal have accepted the explanations given and unfrozen the account (as they now appear to be accepting paypal donations again). Which is pretty surprising to me, as they are normally pretty anal about unfreezing accounts.

You claim that they are not a bank in the US, but that's irrelevant. People wouldn't use them to make payments if there were stories rife online of people experiencing fraudulent transactions and loosing money. To make sure this *doesn't* happen they are extremely over-zealous about locking accounts where suspicious activities (a sudden large volume of transactions over a small time frame, for example) take place. This makes it a pain in the a*** to be a vendor or especially attempt a startup using Paypal, but they don't give two ****s about vendors. As long as consumers have trust in it and it's the defacto standard for online payments, vendors will be forced to use it.

17. Rydian

United States
    What I'm pointing out is that there's two types of businesses that use paypal.

1 - Shops and services that aren't linked to flash carts and game system hacking.

2 - Ones that are.

#1 shops only get their account locked for misunderstandings. #2 shops get their accounts locked purposely, on-sight.

18. Pleng

Thailand
    That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Anyway. I don't really want to get into a geekbag fight about this. If you think it's Nintendo that caused the decapping account to be locked (yet, their case was clearly not enough to get it locked for very long....) then so be it.

I don't.

19. tatripp

Member tatripp GBAtemp Fan

United States
    maybe i should create a paypal account and tell you guys that it is part of this fundraiser.

20. Rydian

United States
    What are you talking about? Didn't you read any of the info I've linked? Paypal freezes the accounts of shops that sell flash carts the moment they start selling flash cart.

It doesn't matter what you think about it, IT'S HAPPENING.