Why can't I change the language of my Vista?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Being the resident computer expert, I was sent to help out a chinese friend of mine buy a new PC since his old one died. After a bit of deliberation he bought a new PC and it comes with Vista Home Premium. Now the person can understand a bit of english but he really wants a vista that can display the things such as "computer, settings, etc" in chinese but it seems that it can only be done in Ultimate.... which I luckily have thanks to torrenting. But when I tried to change the settings on my own PC with Ultimate installed, it kept asking for the language files. Am I meant to get these direct from Microsoft or do they offer it for download for free?

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From the Windows Help:

"The Display language section will only be visible if you have already installed a LIP or if your edition of Windows supports MUI. MUI packs are only available in Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Vista Enterprise."

MUI is definitely seperate, and I think you'll need to torrent that too (I occationally see them appear on nforce, but maybe MS does have downloads). Your friend may be able to use a LIP (language interface pack) but personally I've never changed the menus. I only install the asian languages so I can use the Japanese IME.

Good Luck with it!

Edit: Start Here

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
According to Wikipedia, MUIs for Ultimate (and Enterprise) are part of Windows Ultimate Extras which are obtained through Windows Update.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Ultimate_Extras

So I guess if you can't update because of an activation crack or something (I don't know much about current Vista cracks), then you'll probably have to find a pirated MUI.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
theres another option if you have windows vista ultimate.
i have a crack and its still possible for me to download language packs.
you have to go to windows ultimate extras and it should be there under optional downloads. theres quite a few there too, korean, chinese, japanese, dutch....etc. the files are 200 megs each though, so they might take a while to download

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I ran a Windows Update on my Vista and it only came up with ONE update and it was something for the Windows Office Not sure if this was because the copy of Ultimate that I have was cracked with an oldish method and I wasn't that bothered about Windows update when I installed it...

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Did you do an Express or Custom update?
Express typically skips optional stuff, such as the MUIs, while Custom shows all the optional stuff.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh wait, I ran the Windows Update again and it finally shows the language list. My only question is, when I finish downloading it on my laptop, is there any way to transfer it to my friend's PC so i don't have to spend ages downloading it on his PC when I install Ultimate on it?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Got another question. Is it possible for Vista to format and install on my HDD? Reason I'm asking is that I want a clean install but the last time I did it, it still backed up all my old XP stuff and it just didn't feel like a fresh start

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
if the vista that you have is not a cracked version, then it should be possible but it will make your current xp license invalid(stupid, i know)

if itsa cracked though....if i were you, i would just delete as much as you can from your current xp, make partitions where the smallest should be JUST enough for whatever you have on xp, install vista on the other partition and you're set.

the reason im not advising you to remove xp is that, outdated as you may find it, vista is still not compatible with all xp drivers and programs.
i hate having to switch over to xp just so i can send files to my phone...

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
if the vista that you have is not a cracked version, then it should be possible but it will make your current xp license invalid(stupid, i know)

if itsa cracked though....if i were you, i would just delete as much as you can from your current xp, make partitions where the smallest should be JUST enough for whatever you have on xp, install vista on the other partition and you're set.

the reason im not advising you to remove xp is that, outdated as you may find it, vista is still not compatible with all xp drivers and programs.
i hate having to switch over to xp just so i can send files to my phone...
I'm installing this for my chinese friend. I doubt he would care about dual booting or such. Anyways, he also has a laptop with XP on it so he covered both bases.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
vista does have that clean install option available usually.

what i meant to say was that it is NOT possible to do a clean install with usual cracks. i didnt see that option available when i did mine but that could be because i run a pirated copy of windows xp, so it could work if you have a legit version (though i doubt that)

however if you do some more research you will find out that hackers have found a unbelievable large gaping hole in vista

i dont quite know the eact details but its something along the lines of; vista comes preinstalled and preactivated on some machines, and since the machines are created by the bulk, the same key is used for all those machines.
what youre supposed to do is install that key somewhere in your bios(its a bit complex but you dont actually replace your bios, i just chose the already activated vista since its easier) and you actually have a fully legit copy of vista.
problem is, i dont know if ultimate comes preinstalled on machines so this might be just a waste of time and effort

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I downloaded a Vista Ultimate AGES ago and installed it on my laptop and used an activation crack. Still using it 3 months later. I still have the disc and the crack so hopefully it will work. On an offtopic notice, is there ANY way of making Vista work a little faster? I'll be clearing out my HDD soon but is there any other way?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
oooooh i love answering that question
happy.gif

the best way would be to use readyboost

WHATS THAT?! you ask?
well let me tell you

its the one of the only smart and original things microsoft managed to put into vista.
in essence, its adding to your "ram" by using a flash drive. vista is usually slow becuase it stores your preferences, habits and most used programs in the ram, leaving only a little bit and slowing your computer down considerably(its called superfetch). to counter that, use ready bost so it stores your preferences and small tidbits(main tasks like running computer programs are done on your main ram, only small other stuff which will not affect the system in any way if theyre suddensly deleted or terminated, like indexing and preferences will be stored on the flash drive)

basically, you take a usb flash drive(1 gig or more is good) and when it detects the new hardware, it will give you a small popup asking you what to do.
it should have an option available saying "use this drive" (if it is readyboost compatible, get a good, new flash drive if it isnt)and then you have to select that and use the maximum storage for maximum effect.

it works to such a good degree that with my 1 gig of ram on xp vs the 1 gig ram on vista + 1 gig kingston datatraveler readyboost(vista takes a lot of ram anyways so it should be equal right?) makes xp seem sooooooooooo laggy. i mean, like a bad server on an mmo lag.

hope that helped Harsky

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?