Why are directs so dry lately?

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Just look at today's one.
Only 2 honorable mentions out of these, and that is Pikmin 4 and the BOTW2 release date.

Maybe also Fire Emblem, but that one only appeals to those who like anime.

Otherwise, it's all just this:
- Advertisements for games by other AAA studios, even though it's called a NINTENDO direct
- Announcements for game updates that we already knew were coming and only add content that should've already been there upon release
- Announcements for the next games drip-fed to us via the NSO+ subscription
- Ports, ports, and M O A R P O R T S!

For the directs being only every once in a blue moon, the content feels a lot drier than before. We were getting games such as Mario Odyssey (all-new content), Mario Maker 2 (a load of more content added), and overall more juicy games that weren't just ports or games stripped out of content that is then drip-fed to people via updates.

Nintendo does churn out some good games every once in a while, such as Splat3 or Kirby & Forgotten Land. But it just feels that they're a lot less frequent.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Aight, I gonna take the bait.

1) It's called Nintendo Direct because it's news segment. It could be called Nintendo's Wacky World of Games and Gizmos... even Sony advertise other AAA studios... it's what WE customers want. Nintendo Direct gets a lot of attention, of course AAA studios want to be part of it.

2) Plenty of games announced, not just updates?

3) NSO+ is optional and is honestly nothing special. I do like Goldeneye online however!

4) Ports?
Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse - never been release in the west official but technically a port.
And honestly most are remasters or coming to a Nintendo system for a first time.
Ports generally are from Nintendo system X to Nintendo system Y. There were none this time if we don't count the Fatal Frame game.

5) This was one of the best directs imho in a while.

"Maybe also Fire Emblem, but that one only appeals to those who like anime."
This comment where so dumb my brain hurts. Fire Emblem is a strategy game first and is a anime styled game second.

Zajumino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With a game like Fitness Boxing of the North Star in it, I don't see how this direct could possibly be considered dry. Obviously, you don't know what you are talking about.

This comment where so dumb my brain hurts.
The grammar in this sentence makes my brain hurt.
Also, I didn't realise the Fire Emblem games are actually an anime series. I've been playing watching them wrong all these years.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Maybe also Fire Emblem, but that one only appeals to those who like anime."
This comment where so dumb my brain hurts. Fire Emblem is a strategy game first and is a anime styled game second.
this really hasn't been true since shadow dragon on ds after that it became very weeby, filled with fanservice, and a self insert dating sim more than anything else which is when the series stopped being good. how can you even say its about strategy more than anything when Three houses itself forced the boring monastery relationship building on you unless you wanted to miss out on recruiting characters which is a big part of Fire Emblem games. I want the classic FIre Emblem style from the GBA days not a Persona clone. you are in denial if you don't think its a weeb/anime game

Last edited by deathblade200,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Lack of creativity for new IPs, they don't listen to fan demand (Because they secretly hate money), and nobody over at Nintendo is creative enough to take big risks anymore. Now we just get Wii and Wii U ports, 360/PS3 ports, and some watered down multiplat games.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ports for the Switch means playing formerly ball n' chain console games (only at home) on my huge 3DS (the switch)=priceless even for crummy ports (just not too crummy).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
One thought is that they might be developing games for their next gen console already, so the Switch releases are starting to dry up. It's been 5 1/2 years, so I think it's likely that they're already working on launch titles for their next console which might release in a year or two.
This whole year has been a little bit disappointing for Switch releases TBH.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No matter the limit he always gives the tip