Hacking Question Who screwed up? (Switch security)

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,659
  • Replies 42

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everything has flaws and it's all a matter of time until someone discovers it. The perfect system is an engineers dream, one that will never happen.

D

Deleted User

OP
Edited the title to make it more informative, and removing the profanity.
Since when did GBAtemp care about bad language? This is the first time someone has edited something I've posted to remove curse words.

Untitled.png

Reactions: Skylinedeadline

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's totally NVIDIA's fault, they manufacturered the chip. Nintendo was basically the consumer seeing as how they were buying these chips from NVIDIA to use in their product. How's Nintendo supposed to know such a high level vunlerbility was coded in the chip?

Here's an example:
It's like Toyota(NVIDIA) making cars, then dealers(Nintendo) buy there cars to sell on their lots. People start crashing their cars, then after an investigation it comes out Toyota used faulty parts which caused breaks systems to fail. People sued Toyota(NVIDIA) not the dealers(Nintendo) because it was the manufacturer's fault it happened in the first place.

Same difference.

Last edited by BL4Z3D247,

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Since when did GBAtemp care about bad language? This is the first time someone has edited something I've posted to remove curse words.

View attachment 122720
The word Fuck doesn't look too good in a thread title, live with it.
Also, there are other words than curse words that won't fly. Don't know why you're screenshotting another member's removed post?

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo messed up. its like when you see a ''too good to be real'' deal on cheese and you find out the stuff is hard like a rock and doesnt taste like cheese or even melt. Nintendo got a deal on shi**y chips and they bought it.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
If you want to use such language alongside the subject of video games, better places exist for it. GBATemp is definitely not a place you should expect to be able to speak in without criticism, be that inane or reasonable.

Reactions: T-hug

13_Switch_Hacker_37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

PuNKeMoN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand the endgame of this thread and others like it.

Saying some company made a mistake first off is a huge misstep. Specific individuals may have blundered, and others may have let the error pass, but not every employee of the company. The blanket statement "X Company fucked up" includes individuals who had no say in the matter, and therefore is an inflammatory and unjust statement.
Granted, you may not know the names of the designers and programmers who created the hardware/software combo in question, nor may you know the names of the executives who greenlit the project. However what you could know, or surmise is that all of them are human and prone to error so cut them some slack. They're overworked and at the end of the day they just want to go home.

On to the "3rd party support will drop" argument.
Of nearly 18 million customers, only a small base is interested in software mods and homebrew. Even smaller still of that percentage is the group interested in piracy.
18 million is a huge number, and any dev worth their reputation knows there is profit to be made there. Even at risk of losing a few sales, they will take the plunge. Risk is part of business. If piracy deters game developers, why is PC still considered viable as a profitable gaming platform?

TL;DR
Mistakes happen, quit trying to blame someone.
This and similar threads are stupid speculation on par with Fox News on a slow news day.

NightsEkim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd honestly argue that it's neither party is at fault. Nintendo made a smart move by choosing something that's already deployed and widely in use instead of trying to roll their own solution which takes time and costs a lot more money. On NVidia's end, while you can certainly place the blame there and it would certainly be the more relevant to place blame on, developers can only hammer on something for so long before they say "yeah this is secure, we tried all of these things and couldn't find a flaw".

Security is and always has been a cat and mouse game (as others have stated), someone will make something that's covered all previous security issues and then some, a hacker that has the ingenuity and imagination comes along and says "well... what if I do this" or "what if I apply this hack by modify it to insert this way instead of the old way".

This is the same scenario with online cheating as well, though detection is getting stronger, a lot of private or single user hacks go undetected for a long time.

This is why I argue that neither party is to blame here, systems security is always evolving, and so are hackers, it's been like this in the past, it's like this now, and it will be the same in the future.

Reactions: Uiaad
D

Deleted User

OP
Does it matter as long as we getting some "haxx"?

Gbatemp is starting to feel like a circlejerk with this kind of threads tbh..
I didn't see the previous one.
The word Fuck doesn't look too good in a thread title, live with it.
Also, there are other words than curse words that won't fly. Don't know why you're screenshotting another member's removed post?
I was pointing out that his post was removed for bad language which is normally overlooked here. I remember many years ago someone was complaining that the R word (a certain crime females don't want to fall victim to) was censored. A staff member commented saying that this word is offensive but the staff don't give a "flying fuck" about profanities.

EDIT: found it https://gbatemp.net/threads/since-when-the-hell-did-we-have-swear-word-filters.307836/#post-3876080
If you want to use such language alongside the subject of video games, better places exist for it. GBATemp is definitely not a place you should expect to be able to speak in without criticism, be that inane or reasonable.
Coming from the guy who's post was removed for offensive language.

Last edited by ,

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

I was pointing out that his post was removed for bad language which is normally overlooked here. I remember many years ago someone was complaining that the R word (a certain crime females don't want to fall victim to) was censored. A staff member commented saying that this word is offensive but the staff don't give a "flying fuck" about profanities.

So? You don't know the content of his post, and we don't care about some cursing, as long as it's not excessive of course.
The N word is one that will get moderated, so is plenty of derogatory words about people's gender or sexuality (unless it slips by).

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So? You don't know the content of his post, and we don't care about some cursing, as long as it's not excessive of course.
The N word is one that will get moderated, so is plenty of derogatory words about people's gender or sexuality (unless it slips by).
I thought there was some guideline also, to keep cursing out of thread titles, but they are fine in actual posts. Either that or I was tricked some time ago /s

D

Deleted User

OP

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand the endgame of this thread and others like it.

Saying some company made a mistake first off is a huge misstep. Specific individuals may have blundered, and others may have let the error pass, but not every employee of the company. The blanket statement "X Company fucked up" includes individuals who had no say in the matter, and therefore is an inflammatory and unjust statement.
Granted, you may not know the names of the designers and programmers who created the hardware/software combo in question, nor may you know the names of the executives who greenlit the project. However what you could know, or surmise is that all of them are human and prone to error so cut them some slack. They're overworked and at the end of the day they just want to go home.

On to the "3rd party support will drop" argument.
Of nearly 18 million customers, only a small base is interested in software mods and homebrew. Even smaller still of that percentage is the group interested in piracy.
18 million is a huge number, and any dev worth their reputation knows there is profit to be made there. Even at risk of losing a few sales, they will take the plunge. Risk is part of business. If piracy deters game developers, why is PC still considered viable as a profitable gaming platform?

TL;DR
Mistakes happen, quit trying to blame someone.
This and similar threads are stupid speculation on par with Fox News on a slow news day.
You do realize that even if it's one, or two people, it falls on the company right? As a collective, Nvidia failed to find this security hole. They've got a whole entire department dedicated to this stuff. Yes, mistakes happen. Doesn't mean no one is at fault. It's an asinine comment to make.

Last edited by Kioku,

ShonenJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

EDIT: found it https://gbatemp.net/threads/since-when-the-hell-did-we-have-swear-word-filters.307836/#post-3876080

normally overlooked, it happens. Just report it.

also NVidia fault, Nintendo did best on their part to secure the switch. The chip(which can be fixed only in revisions) has a bootrom problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu