Which Wireless Router?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Jakob95, Dec 23, 2009.

Dec 23, 2009

Which Wireless Router? by Jakob95 at 9:48 PM (2,523 Views / 0 Likes) 42 replies

1. Jakob95
    OP

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I want to get a Wireless Router I don't need N since my Internet Connection isn't fast anyways on my Computer. So I will be getting Wireless G.

[​IMG]

That is my Internet Connection. I want to get my Wireless Router from Amazon probably used or something. My limit is 35 dollars... Don't have a lot of money.... Whats a good Router I could get that won't be slow and make my Internet drop? I am thinking about the Linksys right now. Also an Amazon link to the good router that is 35 dollars or less would be great so I don't have to search it.

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
  3. Jakob95
    OP

United States
  4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  5. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    I can't I have to buy a Router from Amazon... Plus I only have $50 dollars and I have to buy a Wireless Router and the USB to Ethernet Adapter. My Ethernet cord thing in my computer is broken.

6. Elritha

Canada
    The Buffalo router I linked you to is just about as good in performance (with third party firmware such as dd-wrt/tomato) as a Linksys WRT54GL.

The ones you linked to earlier, the first is a GL which has 4MB flash storage and 16MB memory.

The WRT54G2 only has 2MB flash storage and is not compatible with any 3rd party firmware. It has 16MB memory.

The last one the WRT54G is more then likely a v5 or higher, since it doesn't have the L on the end. These have 2MB flash only and 8MB memory. They are a butchered GL that can't run 3rd party firmware either.

7. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    Why will I need a 3rd party firmware on a router?

8. Elritha

Canada
    You don't. It's just a nice option, gives you added features, better performance in some areas, such as p2p (bittorrent), ability to log bandwidth usage accurately, advanced QOS, access restrictions, advanced wireless options, and so on. [​IMG]

If you read the tomato links I posted earlier it'd explain some of it. Or check out dd-wrt website.

The stock firmware should be fine also, just it isn't as feature rich.

9. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    I don't really need that stuff. I just need a good wireless router that is fast and is secure.

What is the difference with the Black Linksys Routers and the Blue/Purple ones?

10. Elritha

Canada
    The black one, which I assume you mean the WRT54G2 has no external antenna, it's built in. It also runs on VxWorks which is a horrible, horrible operating system for a router and has had problems in the past on other WRT models. The cpu is clocked at 240mhz.

The WRT54GL, the blue/black one has two external antennas, it also runs on a cut down version of Linux, the L in the name stands for that. All older WRT54G's ran on Linux up until a few years ago. Then Linksys decided to save costs and cut corners by butchering the hardware and placing VxWorks on their entire range of routers instead of linux. To make up for this they released the WRT54GL router which still retained Linux. CPU is clocked at 200mhz.

There is also the difference in flash and ram size which I mentioned earlier. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Other then that the other features should be pretty much similar on both routers.

11. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    Is there a difference if the Antenna is built in? So your saying that the blue ones are better right? I have windows so I don't care about Linux.

12. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
  13. Elritha

Canada
    I mean that the router has it's own operating system. In the case of the GL it runs on linux, which is known to be very reliable, meaning not many crashes or lockups on your router. It doesn't matter what you run on your pc, the router has to have its own operating system, just like a console or some other system has to run on something.

I would recommend the GL over the black one, yes. It's older, but newer isn't always better. Having the antenna externally is better also. You can actually move the antenna into a better position, giving you a better wireless signal.

14. KDH

Member KDH GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I recommend the WRT54GL as well, if you can afford it, or find one for a lower price. I used one with DD-WRT installed as my primary router for 3 years, until I upgraded my laptop's wireless card to one capable of 802.11n a month ago. I still use it as a secondary access point, and couldn't be happier.

15. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    Ok I am not getting the black Router.

The GL is pretty pricey. So I might just get the Regular G one. I am still not sure maybe there is a better router that I could get for a cheap price.

The Regular G can't use TOMATO?

16. KDH

United States
    It doesn't look like it. There is a rather long (and potentially dangerous*) way to get the micro version of DD-WRT onto any revision (except v7.0) of the WRT54G though.

*IMPORTANT NOTE: If you're unwilling, or lack the technical ability, to take your router apart (to short the router into recovery mode) in the event of a mistake, don't try it.

17. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    But on the Tomato website it says Tomato is a small, lean and simple replacement firmware for Linksys' WRT54G/GL/GS,

18. Elritha

Canada
    The regular G has only 2MB of flash storage to store the routers firmware/operating system on it. It just isn't much room and Tomato does need more. The GL has double that at 4MB, which is sufficient.

It's true you can get a micro version of dd-wrt with reduced features onto the regular G version. I have one of those as a backup router. It's sufficient... but I do prefer my main router over it.

I personally don't have a Buffalo router. I recommended it after reading glowing remarks about it off users from the tomato board. It's cheaper then a GL and is supposed to perform well.

19. KDH

United States
    Not small enough. It's 3 MB even when compressed, the WRT54G only has 2 MB of storage for the firmware.

20. Elritha

Canada
    Yes, the older WRT54G, before Linksys changed the hardware a number of years ago. These haven't been sold in years, and is the reason Linksys then released the GL. The newer WRT54G are version 5 or higher. They are now up to version 7.2 according to Wikipedia. Starting at version 5 they changed the hardware.

You will also notice on the Tomato website in bold.
    'This will not work on Linksys WRT54G/GS v5 or newer WRT54G/GS routers.'