Gaming Which Windows Install is better?

xdmario1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just Overclocked a '05 AMD Sempron 3000+ to 2.06 Ghz. (They can go to 2.20!)
cool.gif

Just wondering should I move from XP to 7 and delete all the files or XP --> Vista --> 7 and keep most of my stuff.

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
Just did an install from XP straight too 7. As long as the drive isn't formatted everything is kept in a folder called Windows.old

xdmario1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
Where is the option for backing up your files and installing 7.

I don't have a device to back up to.

QUOTE(EJames2100'_)Just did an install from XP straight too 7. As long as the drive isn't formatted everything is kept in a folder called Windows.old

So all your old programs are still there? What about your anti-virus and stuff like that?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
xdmario1 said:
prowler_ said:

When I had no other external hard drive, I had a permanent partition on my hard drive for all my files in case something happens to the Window partition, easy when you want a fresh install or moving to another OS.

Honestly, it's awesome having a fresh install. Windows.old way doesn't seem as fresh.

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
xdmario1 said:
prowler_ said:

EJames2100Just did an install from XP straight too 7. As long as the drive isn't formatted everything is kept in a folder called Windows.old

So all your old programs are still there? What about your anti-virus and stuff like that?

It didn't keep them installed, it just kept all the files, you'd have to manually install but after that I just copied settings over from my old files and was away.

And they could technically still work(Wouldn't recommend tbh)if you re-directed the shortcuts(or even moved the folders and shortcuts around), they just wouldn't show up in the Control Panel > Programs and Features(Add/Remove Programs).

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cannot recommend a fresh install strongly enough, I blow out my hard drive every 6-12 months just because I like the way a fresh install feels, that new leather smell....

I have 3 hard drives in my main machines one for media one for my personal files and one for my OS. Makes the job go much faster. So if your on a single drive I can see not wanting to ever reinstall your OS... Of course a good partitioning can ease that pain a little if your drive is big enough.

Upgrades seem to me to increase the odds of something going wrong. Murphy's Law and all that.

durpy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yup, fresh install is always the best way to go. if you don't have any external hard drives just resize the free space your current OS partition and create a new one and move everything you want to keep on to that one and reformat the partition that held your old OS.

external drives are so cheap nowadays, i suggest you invest in one.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'd suggest making a separate partition for all of your personal files and do a fresh install. Runs SO much better than an upgrade. I would also suggest buying an external HDD, even a cheap 120GB would be great for the average user or if you have a good $100 or so you could go out and buy a cheap 1TB and never have a storage problem ever (Really? Who uses that much space??)

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
suprgamr232 said:
I'd suggest making a separate partition for all of your personal files and do a fresh install. Runs SO much better than an upgrade. I would also suggest buying an external HDD, even a cheap 120GB would be great for the average user or if you have a good $100 or so you could go out and buy a cheap 1TB and never have a storage problem ever (Really? Who uses that much space??)
I would say plenty of people do.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I've used up several 1TB and 1.5TB internal and external drives. The latest 2.5" 1TB external drive I got only has 300GB left on it, and that was supposed to help relieve the internal drives on my comp that only has around 200GB left spread across both drives.

If you have space and an unlimited broadband connection, you can often find ways to fill it up.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
suprgamr232 said:
You know, my brother has over 5TB of space and managed to nearly fill all of it up within 4 months. So 1TB actually isn't enough for some people.
And about the cheap hard drives, I managed to pick up a 1TB hard drive for $50 a few months ago, they're really getting cheap these days.

On-topic: I'd say backing up all the stuff you want to keep and then going directly to 7 will be optimal. If you do the upgrade, all the clutter left behind will bog down your performance. Also, I had a Sempron 2600+ before and I overclocked it to 2.26GHz
tongue.gif
That PC died though (PSU gave in), I'll be replacing it soon.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
suprgamr232 said:
Haha let me rephrase that...what kind of general user uses that much space??
Should I assume by 'general user' you mean person who uses their computer only for emails, the internet, youtube and maybe to store holiday photo albums? And maybe solitaire, but heaven forbid they actually play a more demanding game?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...