Hacking Which Slot-1 Device Should I get?

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
usually get R4 over m3.

made in same factory.
same quality cart.
same firmware (except for skin), however R4 always gets the firmware first.
R4 is cheaper.

unless m3 is more easily available.

If you want more features and are willing to spend the extra cash get a G6 or Cyclo. However G6 hasn't come true of all it's promises yet, so i'd wait until they release the dldi driver before considering to purchase it.

sphere9

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
aah, now i'm confused again,

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1459 comes bundled with a Kingston 1GB TF/MicroSD 1GB Card, but is this a good one to use?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3179 Seems cheaper but they're reccomending that I get the R4 package instead...

http://www.bamboogaming.com/flash-cards/m3...g-/prod_99.html has the downside of no packaging... but at the bottom of the page it's also saying out of stock.

http://www.bamboogaming.com/flash-cards/ot...-/prod_102.html as is this one...

So now the show-down, what should I get?

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
R4 all the way
wink.gif

Cheap and reliable as long as you have a decent MicroSD.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have the money, get both the cycloDS and R4/M3 Simply and give them a try. The R4 has already proven enough to satisfy people that just want games to work (excluding download play). CycloDS is still a new product and the rule of thumb is to let the kinks get fixed (hardware and software), but the good reviews show a satisfactory amount of reliability.

minbin

Trophies
XP
Country
Just bought M3 Simply from www.ozmodchips.com
It's based in Australia with delivery time of only 2 days.
It costs $Aus 50 delivered (compared to $38 Bamboogaming) but Bamboogaming is out of stock & I didn't want to wait up to 3 weeks for delivery.

ImperialX

Trophies
XP
Country
I am the proud owner of an R4 and it hasn't let me down. However if you have money to burn get the CycloDS Evolution. It's got perfect Download Play (and is a rip-off). Oh, and I got mine from BambooGaming. They have really good customer Support.

cbccwats

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just bought M3 Simply from www.ozmodchips.com
It's based in Australia with delivery time of only 2 days.
It costs $Aus 50 delivered (compared to $38 Bamboogaming) but Bamboogaming is out of stock & I didn't want to wait up to 3 weeks for delivery.
www.ozmodchips.com looks good, but where did you buy your micro SD from?

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Get a G6 real man.....I got the 16Gb version a little while ago and I 'm so happy with it that honestly I couldn't ask for anything more
wink.gif

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think the R4 is a bit better. Better game and homebrew features, but the actual cart itself breaks. I'm sure that ppl other than me have had their Micro SD card jammed or something like that.

NonStopInTheMix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Alrighty well if you've already decided on a slot-1 cart to buy then disregard this message lol. This thread has turned out to be a popularity contest for people to voice what they think is the best flashcart out there XD.

Basically keep these things in mind:

- R4 and M3 Simply are the exact same thing. You just cant swap their updates.
- Supercard DS One is another option, although its slightly picky with the microsd you buy
- G6 real is different from all other flashcarts because it has internal memory and DOESNT NEED a microsd
- CycloDS is another flashcart out there with 100% download play ability

I am the proud owner of an R4 and it hasn't let me down. However if you have money to burn get the CycloDS Evolution. It's got perfect Download Play (and is a rip-off). Oh, and I got mine from BambooGaming. They have really good customer Support.

BUT... recently the R4 and Supercard DS One have released udpates that make them 100% download play friendly too.

Overall if you're the person who just wants to play those games and do it cheaply by not buying legit games. Just get the R4 since its easy to use and most widely bought out there so if you need any help there will be plenty to provide it.

squeakypants

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got an r4. It works fine, and really i can't think of any features it doesn't have. The only problems are:
-No GBA playing
-No GBA homebrew
But that will be for ANY slot-1 card. Any homebrew updated in 2007 will almost definitely use DLDI which makes it slot-1 compatible. Really I can't see how you can go wrong with the r4.

Also, to clear up the mess, the difference between r4ds and m3simply is that the developers of the r4ds sold production rights to m3, it's not a real m3 product (though they're making, or may have come out with already, their own slot-1 product). The r4ds team has to send their updates to m3, who then distribute it compatible for their chip, not for hardware reasons but because they specifically make the firmware r4-only or m3s-only. The only hardware differences are the firmware locks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7