Homebrew Which programming language should I use to make homebrew?

ReidTJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The title has enough information to answer this question. I'm a beginner and have not made a single piece of homebrew.

Deleted member 373057

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't start programming for the 3DS until you've learned C.

Books? Just get K&R, aka The C Programming Language.
Videos? Not a fan of these as much, but Derek Banas has made some nice videos covering C. mycodeschool & Ashley Mills (I think I spelled that right) are also good resources to start with as well.

Honestly, if you've never programmed before, C isn't the best place to start unless you're really confident in yourself. You'll need some dedication. I'm not saying you can't do it, but Python is definitely the easier language to learn.

Practice, practice, and practice. Work on smaller projects before you dive into 3DS work at all.

Finally, pointers: make sure you really understand them :)

Have fun!

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You'll probably want a year or two of programming experience before trying to program homebrew. *Apparently* python is easy but I can't personally understand it (get some braces python!!). I think the absolute easiest one is JavaScript just for basic understanding (loops, conditionals and stuff) plus you can make interesting things right away without needing any extra software (just Notepad and a Web browser). Once you get to C and C++, as mentioned, you need to understand at least a little computer science for memory management and pointers and objects and stuff. If you already understand the basics from using an easier language you'll find it not so impossible.

D

Deleted User

I wanna be a programmer too. So I'll pick Python. But I have 0 experience in coding some shit.

And yea, it's gonna take ALOT of time to learn that.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You really need a year or two of programming experience. Personally, I learnt java in school. When you know the basics of that language it's pretty easy to learn C, C++ and C#. Well, at least for me it was.

D

Deleted User

You'll probably want a year or two of programming experience before trying to program homebrew. *Apparently* python is easy but I can't personally understand it (get some braces python!!). I think the absolute easiest one is JavaScript just for basic understanding (loops, conditionals and stuff) plus you can make interesting things right away without needing any extra software (just Notepad and a Web browser). Once you get to C and C++, as mentioned, you need to understand at least a little computer science for memory management and pointers and objects and stuff. If you already understand the basics from using an easier language you'll find it not so impossible.
python 2 or 3 ? and where to start with 3ds programming for somebody with some experience with a few languages?

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
You really need a year or two of programming experience. Personally, I learnt java in school. When you know the basics of that language it's pretty easy to learn C, C++ and C#. Well, at least for me it was.
Absolutly NOPE.
C# ok, its the better Java and does much for you.
But easier to learn C and C++ after learning the basics from Java, OHHH Boiii noooo!
In C and C++ you have to learn memory management for efficient performance.

Back to topic:
You can learn the basics (loops, etc.) in any language you want. I would suggest, anything but LUA, VB.NET and kina Delphi and Java since they have a slightly different syntax for them.. or starts array at 1 (dafuq)..
For further learning i would go with @Minnow suggestions.
Don't get upset if something isn't working the first time. Try again.. and again.. and again.
Oh and get a Rubber Duck, trust me.

D

Deleted User

The title has enough information to answer this question. I'm a beginner and have not made a single piece of homebrew.
if the question is "whats a good and easy language to start with?" then I would say python 3, the code looks somewhat like normal English, it is a modern lang and very easy to learn. you will need to learn C at some point anyway, which is a little more challenging but not impossible (it was my first lang, I learned it in 7'th grade, and if my 7'th-grade-self was able to learn it then everybody can)... I learned python from youtube, after every video I tried to make a program with what I learned in this video, and if I wasnt sure of something- just googled the question (like "how to generate random numbers in python 3?")

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Absolutly NOPE.
But easier to learn C and C++ after learning the basics from Java, OHHH Boiii noooo!

Back to topic:
You can learn the basics (loops, etc.) in any language you want. I would suggest, anything but LUA, VB.NET and kina Delphi and Java since they have a slightly different syntax for them.. or starts array at 1 (dafuq)..
Don't get upset if something isn't working the first time. Try again.. and again.. and again.
So you're telling me that it wasn't easier for me to learn C and C++? I figured I should know better... You know, when I'm talking about myself.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Absolutly NOPE.

Back to topic:
I did learn C++ before anything else, but it was in a structured university environment. If you don't know anything about even writing a while loop then C++ with object oriented concepts and memory management on your own is going to be very tough. Everything you read is going to be assuming you know something else and if you don't know it you'll have to find out what it is which is tough on its own. If you understand basics on how to debug, what compiling means, and control flow it is going to be a lot easier to then learn the extra parts for C/C++.

This is from experience teaching JavaScript to teenagers, and tutoring some of the members of my C++ classes by the way.

Edit: also when I first learned Java, I hated it so much because I couldn't use pointers and pass them into methods by reference or not and know if the method would be able to change them or not. In Java I have so much less precise control (but so many libraries to do anything I want, so there are benefits to Java too). If you learn Java or something else first and then C/C++, you can then appreciate the extra benefits you get, instead of feeling like you lose out once you go from C/C++ to another lang :-p

Last edited by Quantumcat,

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
I did learn C++ before anything else, but it was in a structured university environment. If you don't know anything about even writing a while loop then C++ with object oriented concepts and memory management on your own is going to be very tough. Everything you read is going to be assuming you know something else and if you don't know it you'll have to find out what it is which is tough on its own. If you understand basics on how to debug, what compiling means, and control flow it is going to be a lot easier to then learn the extra parts for C/C++.

This is from experience teaching JavaScript to teenagers, and tutoring some of the members of my C++ classes by the way.

Edit: also when I first learned Java, I hated it so much because I couldn't use pointers and pass them into methods by reference or not and know if the method would be able to change them or not. In Java I have so much less precise control (but so many libraries to do anything I want, so there are benefits to Java too). If you learn Java or something else first and then C/C++, you can then appreciate the extra benefits you get, instead of feeling like you lose out once you go from C/C++ to another lang :-p
Basic Stuff is for mostly all languages the same, except the syntax.
Java is one of the worst language for more than basic stuff to learn C(++) later. The best would be Delphi for this.
And for memory management you should get the right books to start with c (++)
Learning C(++) languages as the first programming language is tough. There you are totaly right.

D

Deleted User

Basic Stuff is for mostly all languages the same, except the syntax.
Java is one of the worst language for more than basic stuff to learn C(++) later. The best would be Delphi for this.
And for memory management you should get the right books to start with c (++)
Learning C(++) languages as the first programming language is tough. There you are totaly right.
not so tough as you say. I learned it myself from books and internet long time ago as my first programming lang, and never felt it was hard... you understand "memory management" after a few tries if you just try different things and see what happens. Delphi is not a popular lang, at least not as popular as C/++ or java which makes it a lot less compelling to newcomers to programming... java is the most popular lang in the industry and knowing it gives a big advantages when searching a job and such...

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: