Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To re-register, I just mean re-install in the same location as it already was. Saves games shouldnt be affected, and both OS'es will just read from the same Program Files folder. Not the same registry though. Hence the need to re-install.

It just saves doubling up on sapce

sylux92

Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
You can't crosslink programs, at least most of them. They require registry entries and those entries are not shared between the different OSes. You can have 2 partitions, but each will require that you install the game.
Couldn't you just back up the registry (and change the file paths) from the OS with the games on it and import the keys into the new registry? I would assume that XP and Vista/Windows 7 use the same registry.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
MicShadow said:
To re-register, I just mean re-install in the same location as it already was. Saves games shouldnt be affected, and both OS'es will just read from the same Program Files folder. Not the same registry though. Hence the need to re-install.

Cool I understand that install it in one OS boot in to the other and re-install it but choose the same location on the partion it was originally installed yes?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Lee79 said:
MicShadow said:

Cool I understand that install it in one OS boot in to the other and re-install it but choose the same location on the partion it was originally installed yes?
Essentially, yeah. That would replace the files and add to the registry as you need. Therefore, no doubled-up programs and it works on both OS's.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Ok it is done Duel boot Vista home 32 bit and Windows 7 64bit and the games on the third partition going to do it tomorrow and update you all how it went.
Thanks to MicShadow and Skyline969 for all the help and a special thanks to da_head because i know how much you love windows 7.
laugh.gif

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sylux92 said:
Jiggah said:
You can't crosslink programs, at least most of them. They require registry entries and those entries are not shared between the different OSes. You can have 2 partitions, but each will require that you install the game.
Couldn't you just back up the registry from the OS with the games on it and import the keys into the new registry? I would assume that XP and Vista/Windows 7 use the same registry.

That might not work for all games, and could cause issues. You could try it, but do it at your own risk.

EDIT: Good choice on Windows 7
biggrin.gif

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Skyline969 said:
Dual-boot? Naw, do a triple-boot! Windows XP for games, Windows Vista for eye candy and whatever, and Ubuntu Linux for that Linux goodness. There's a tutorial on YouTube, a big 4-parter. Check it out.

ubuntu has more eye candy than vista, and even windows 7 if you turn on all the compiz-fusion options

I am a lot like you, I just dual boot ubuntu, and winXP. ubuntu as my main OS and winXP for games which i can nuke if it breaks (which is far too often to use as a main OS)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-