Hacking which one?

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very confused over what region Nintendo 3DS to buy. I do like how much cheaper the NA version is going to be, and I also heard that if I get it on launch day, there won't be any updates, thus making it easier to get the exploit. (or something along those lines).
Anyway, right now, I have an m3 real flash card with Japanese AND US DS games on it. I use it on my DS lite. The first thing I want to know is if Japanese or all region DS games for that matter will work on a 3DS even if they are on a flash card? And, if my m3 real flash card doesn't work, what flash card do you recommend I get? And will Nintendo know if you are using a flash card even if you play DS games?

I also want to make sure that the 3DS games I want will be making it over to the US. Especially, Time Travelers, and Fantasy Life. Information about these games may not be out yet, but if you guys know anything, let me know!
By the way, is anyone working to bypass this region lock on the 3DS??

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
If you live in the USA, get a USA 3DS.

DS games are not region locked, if your flash cart is compatible with the 3DS it will play all DS games in DS Mode.

There is no 3DS dumper/rom playing device yet, so you don't have to worry about that.

Nobody knows if there is anybody working on the region lock.

It's not worth it to import a JPN 3DS for 400-500 USD just for a few games. I guess if you have the money, go for it, but you can't expect every 3DS title to come out here.

EDIT: Your M3 Real will NOT work on the 3DS. Get a SuperCard DSTWO or Acekard 2i if you want a 3DS compatible DS Mode flash cart.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
neko_koneko said:
if my m3 real flash card doesn't work, what flash card do you recommend I get?
You do have DS, you have been playing pirated games on it, why do you want to keep replaying them on 3DS ?
Buy 3DS to play 3DS games, not some old stuff, especially it will look blurred and the emulation might not be 100% accurate.

QUOTE(neko_koneko @ Mar 16 2011, 06:23 PM) By the way, is anyone working to bypass this region lock on the 3DS??
McGyver is on it with his paper clip

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the information everyone
happy.gif

Oh, and how about getting the 3DS on launch day? Even if I want a year or so until I buy the 3DS, will it still be easy to hack or get an exploit? I am thinking of getting a ps3 also, but I want to know which one would be best to get first.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
neko_koneko said:
Time Travelers
Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
The artwork they released for it looks awesome.

Get the 3DS native to your region.
I think the days of Japanese games not being localised is over, but you'll likely have to wait for the treehouse to have at it.

Oceanborn712

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
neko_koneko said:
Oh, and how about getting the 3DS on launch day? Even if I want a year or so until I buy the 3DS, will it still be easy to hack or get an exploit?
You're aware nobody here can see into the future right?
wink.gif

Nobody can tell you when and how the 3DS will be 'hacked' and nobody knows what Nintendo can/will do about it so there's no way to answer your question. If it could be answered the 3DS would already be playing ROMs or at least homebrews.

(oh look my very first post only 2.5 years after registering. I could swear I posted before o.o)

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
I think the days of Japanese games not being localised is over, but you'll likely have to wait for the treehouse to have at it.
Hahahahahahahhaha.... AHAHAHAHHahahahhahahahahah...

Oh my you're so silly. There are still DOZENS of games a year that are released in Japan that never see US or EU releases.

Ravenius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
pachura said:
neko_koneko said:
You do have DS, you have been playing pirated games on it, why do you want to keep replaying them on 3DS ?
Buy 3DS to play 3DS games, not some old stuff, especially it will look blurred and the emulation might not be 100% accurate.

No. DS games will work just fine on the 3DS.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ravenius said:
pachura said:
neko_koneko said:

No. DS games will work just fine on the 3DS.

The games work fine but since the resolution is different the unit scales the resolution to fit. You can disable this function and do a bit-by-bit view by pressing and holding start or select when you launch a DS game.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
neko_koneko said:
That's like asking why someone would want a GBA emulator or an NES emulator, because they want to play the games. Just because a game is old doesn't make it boring, not by a long shot.

For example, more than likely The World Ends With You will not be remade, ported, or have a sequel, so what do you do? Buy the The World Ends With You for the DS, plain and simple.

Anyway, I recommend getting a 3DS for your region if you plan on buying alot of 3DS games, however, if you plan on buying mostly DS games and e-shop games, pick any region you want.

Schtarek

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello. First, sry for my bad english. English is not my mother language.

I want buy the Supercard DSTwo, to play ds snes gba roms on my Nintendo 3ds, which i am buying in 1week,
So my question is. should i qait to use the flashcard ? Because i have read that nintendo has the possiblity, to let me
use no more Internet on the 3ds. Or something like that.

Is there "no" risc, to use the flashcard ? And am i allowed to play the ds games online ? Or should i wait, because......

thank you.

Ravenius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Schtarek said:
Hello. First, sry for my bad english. English is not my mother language.
I want buy the Supercard DSTwo, to play ds snes gba roms on my Nintendo 3ds, which i am buying in 1week,
So my question is. should i qait to use the flashcard ? Because i have read that nintendo has the possiblity, to let me
use no more Internet on the 3ds. Or something like that.
Is there "no" risc, to use the flashcard ? And am i allowed to play the ds games online ? Or should i wait, because......
thank you.

Yes, you should wait. In the worst case, Nintendo can block features (like online gaming/eShop) from you.
Nobody knows yet, but it's a possibility since the 3DS keeps a list of played games.
I will wait until someone else tries it with a new update first.

Schtarek

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for your answer. Even if i do not use the internet (turn wifi etc completly off) ?

Or will be there a log file `? because its weird that some old cards do work.

Ravenius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yeah, there will be a log file (at least there's a lot of rumors about it!).
So, even if you turn wi-fi off and never use it, they might still be able to block the update later.

It could be that Nintendo is so clever that they don't block the cards but keep a log, then block everyone who used cards later. I don't know, but to be perfectly on the safe side it's best not to use cards before we have more information.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
For example, more than likely The World Ends With You will not be remade, ported, or have a sequel, so what do you do? Buy the The World Ends With You for the DS, plain and simple.

Don't kill my dreams bro
cry.gif

I thought the developer expressed a little interest in making a sequel

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
koji2009 said:
Nollog said:

Oh my you're so silly. There are still DOZENS of games a year that are released in Japan that never see US or EU releases.
So you going to list 3 games for the 3DS/DSi or Wii, not released in the previous year (as they could be translating those right now)?

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
koji2009 said:
Nollog said:

So you going to list 3 games for the 3DS/DSi or Wii, not released in the previous year (as they could be translating those right now)?

I can, easily. Go to google, type in "japan exclusive wii games" without quotes, you'll find a lot. Replace Wii with DS, same thing.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Xuphor said:
Nollog said:
koji2009 said:
Nollog said:

I can, easily. Go to google, type in "japan exclusive wii games" without quotes, you'll find a lot. Replace Wii with DS, same thing.
Oh, you mean Anime-based cash-in games.
Yeah, because they'll sell well and are worth 40 $/€

But fine, you win some games still won't be localised.
Lack of interest on the developer's side though, so it's not Nintendo's fault.
Those developers could choose not to lock the region, since it's not mandatory.

Oceanborn712

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There's still plenty of games that don't get localized from japan. Nintendo of Europe recently said they won't be localizing The Last Story, has there been any word on a US release?
On the DS there have been a couple of Wizardry games that never saw a western release, as well as Luminous Arc 3, a Fire Emblem game, A.S.H., Blood of Bahamut and plenty of others I can't remember right now. Those are all full-fledged RPGs and not some anime cash-in.

Sure it's most probably not Nintendo's fault that those games didn't get western releases, but the region lock doesn't help this the slightest. And the option to not lock it is a joke at best, because publishers will still lock most of the games. Games for the Xbox 360 don't need to be region locked either, but most still are.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Oceanborn712 said:
Nintendo of Europe recently said they won't be localizing The Last Story
Where did they say this?
If it's true we need to beeping picket the beeping beepsterds and get them to do their beeping job and translate a good game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: