Hardware Which model should I buy?

Catsenti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm in the market for a PS3. I've heard that the fat models are super high maintenance, so that's probably out. So that leaves slim and super slim. Which of the two would be best for me? I'm kinda leaning towards super slim just for the 500 GB option. Is that a good enough reason to go with a super slim, or is there some issue with the super slim that makes it not worth it? And would I have to replace the thermal paste and stuff on either of the other two to prevent failure, or is that not necessary with the slim/super slim? I've never had a PS3 prior to this, so please explain it to me like I'm five.

darkgunsou86

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
reliable ps3s are ps3 slims starting from CECH21xx to superslims. All PS3s can have their harddisk changed. you can use up to 1.5TB harddisks.
if you want to use CFW, you can only pick from CECH21xx to pre 2011 CECH25XX. All models after that can only use PS3HEN.
you can change the thermal paste if you want to. It's recommended but not necessary unless the PS3 is overheating with loud fan noise.
If you care about power consumption, superslims should use less power but that shouldnt be the reason to pick a superslim over a slim PS3 that can use CFW.

L3gi0n0fh311

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I'm in the market for a PS3. I've heard that the fat models are super high maintenance, so that's probably out. So that leaves slim and super slim. Which of the two would be best for me? I'm kinda leaning towards super slim just for the 500 GB option. Is that a good enough reason to go with a super slim, or is there some issue with the super slim that makes it not worth it? And would I have to replace the thermal paste and stuff on either of the other two to prevent failure, or is that not necessary with the slim/super slim? I've never had a PS3 prior to this, so please explain it to me like I'm five.

Do not buy any fat PS3 console or Slims with model number 20xxx ... they have nec tokin capacitors that fail easily.

If you want to install custom firmware then go with a 21xxx or 25xxx Slim ... but not all 25xxx are compatible with custom firmware...Look at this page and pay attention to date code and manufacture date. Anything above date code 0D and October, November, December / 2010 are hackable.

If you are ok with PS3HEN then pick a superslim with model number 43xxx . These are the most durable and have the 28nm RSX. some 42xxx do also have 28nm RSX but it is hard to check.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8