XP
Country
United States

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
I recommend OzModChips.com . Fast delivery and great prices on the WiiKey with a Wii-Clip soldered on

The WiiKey is great. It's a really good chip, and all I use it for is running burned discs and...well, that's it. Very easy to install and setup too.

atomiccow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Initially after buying my Wiikey, I regretted it, and I wished I would have gone with a YAOSM option instead.

However, the Wiikey is a simple modchip and it works well. I've only had problems with one game so far* (knock on wood) but it's an otherwise good chip.

* - The game was No More Heroes.

Blaster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
atomiccow said:
Initially after buying my Wiikey, I regretted it, and I wished I would have gone with a YAOSM option instead.

Thanks for the response everyone. What is the YAOSM option?

And I got to say that 360upgrades seems to be a good store. I sent them a mail asking if the wiiKey was genuine I got the reply in 5 minutes. And they configurated the chip for free even thou It says +5£ on the web page. Time will show if the wiikey actually is genuine
tongue.gif

atomiccow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blaster said:
atomiccow said:

Thanks for the response everyone. What is the YAOSM option?

And I got to say that 360upgrades seems to be a good store. I sent them a mail asking if the wiiKey was genuine I got the reply in 5 minutes. And they configurated the chip for free even thou It says +5£ on the web page. Time will show if the wiikey actually is genuine
tongue.gif

I'm sure it is. You're going to want to check the clip when you get it, too, but I don't think that they've made a fake Wiikey-compatible clip (yet).

The YAOSM involves either buying a certain PIC chip (which cost usually less than $2) and programming it and soldering it in. Alternately, you could buy a "free clip" from dealextreme, which includes a programmer. You use the included programmer (and your PC) to flash the clip/chip with YAOSM (Yet Another Open Source Modchip) and then you install it. It's some of the most stable code written for the Wii, and I really haven't heard any bad things about it, other than the lack of documentation.

That's not to say that the Wiikey was a bad idea. They Wiikey works just fine and does everything that it is supposed to.

EDIT: Also, as an add to that YAOSM blurb, I've heard of people buying Cyclowiz modchips and flashing them with YAOSM as well.

atomiccow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cykoduck said:
What is a wii mod chip?

Does it play wii roms or something?
Like the ds and flashcarts?

Wii Modchips 101, from a fellow noob:
The modchip itself doesn't play roms. Actually, the title "modchip" is somewhat misleading. All current Wii chips are drive chips which physically modify the DVD drive to allow the drive to read burnt DVD's, allowing you to play backups/burnt discs.

Some people buy modchips to play legit backups of their own games, so that the originals don't get scratched. Some people buy modchips to "test" games before they buy them, like renting games (except cheaper). Finally, there is the piracy crowd, who buy modchips to play illegally downloaded games.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
atomiccow said:

However, the Wiikey is a simple modchip and it works well. I've only had problems with one game so far* (knock on wood) but it's an otherwise good chip.

uh you can't do a thing more with yaosm at all.. and no more heroes works just fine on my wiikey! so you're doing something wrong
wink.gif
100% all games work on the wiikey.
it really doesn't matter what modchip you buy nowadays, as long as it's compatible with your wii.

atomiccow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
manias said:
atomiccow said:

uh you can't do a thing more with yaosm at all.. and no more heroes works just fine on my wiikey! so you're doing something wrong
wink.gif
100% all games work on the wiikey.
it really doesn't matter what modchip you buy nowadays, as long as it's compatible with your wii.

I don't really know what I could be doing wrong. I tried different kinds of media over two different kinds of burners. Both burners/medias work fine for literally all other games. I don't see what I could possibly be doing wrong, unless I'm just getting a bizarre series of bad burns, which I suppose is possible though it's rather far fetched.

And YAOSM doesn't have audio problems with certain gamecube games. Wiikey 1.9s does, even though the "audiofix" is in there.

The last thing though, is that YAOSM receives updates in a fraction of time it takes the Wiikey team to put out an update, since it's open source.

Otherwise though, my Wiikey has been fine except for NMH, and I haven't had any problems with cube games (yet).

atomiccow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NeSchn said:
I don't know why people are saying No More Heroes isn't working with WiiKey. Mine is working fine.

That's mainly me.
I wish mine worked
frown.gif

The only other game I got a DRE in was RE4. And that was after like an hour and a half.

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
atomiccow said:
NeSchn said:
I don't know why people are saying No More Heroes isn't working with WiiKey. Mine is working fine.

That's mainly me.
I wish mine worked
frown.gif

The only other game I got a DRE in was RE4. And that was after like an hour and a half.
Ohh, Yeah I usually get DRE's on Boom Blox and Mario Kart Wii. I think I need new burns.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM