Which mobile phone

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by MelissaUS, May 10, 2012.

May 10, 2012

Which mobile phone by MelissaUS at 1:29 PM (1,544 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. MelissaUS
    OP

Newcomer MelissaUS Member

Germany
    Hello everyone!
    I have enough golden points on Chinabuye to get one mobile phone for $90 or less for free.
    Can you suggest me a decent mobile phone from there?
    For now I'm thinking of ordering one of these two
    http://www.chinabuye.com/fine-and-high-quality-gt-i9100-quad-band-dual-sim-dual-standby-4-3-capacitive-touch-screen-android-2-3-wifi-bluetooth-gps-mobile-phone-black-is-a-multi-functional-and-fashionable-cell-phone-6
    and
    http://www.chinabuye.com/i68-4g-quad-band-dual-sim-dual-standby-wifi-java-phone

And second question: Can I upgrade the Android OS on Chinese phone?

Thank you all in advance!

2. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    I'd say the Android one would be better, if only because it has a proper OS, and not some crappy iOS clone, which is probably far inferior even to most "dumb" phones. Also a bigger screen, which is handy, especially for touch screen devices which can feel cramped with a small screen.

As for upgrading Android, with a "China phone", it is unlikely there is much developer support for that specific device. There if therefore a very slim chance of being able to update Android. At best you might be able to find some modified versions of the stock ROM, at worst you will be stuck with whatever it comes with. But 2.3.4 isn't terrible. It's almost the latest non-ICS version of Android for phones, and many popular smart phones are still stuck around that officially (most are 2.3.5, but close enough), only receiving ICS due to the developer community.

It's also "workable" if you have a little know how. For example, it should be easy enough to root the phone, and get official Market if it's not preinstalled. You should also be able to clear out any preinstalled rubbish you don't want, and install plenty of apps you DO want. You can replace the Launcher etc. to get the phone looking and acting the way you want it. With root, you can use MetaMorph for theming.

Having said all this, I have no experience with either phone. So I can't say for sure which is better, nor which would be more suited to you. Just know that in all likeliness, they are both kinda pathetic.

1 person likes this.
  3. Alaude

Member Alaude GBAtemp Regular

India
    if i were you i would choose the second one. and bout your second question, yea you can update your android phone's software even if it is on a china one because android is open source.

1 person likes this.
  4. SifJar

United Kingdom
    It being open source does not mean you can always update every Android phone. There are hundreds of Android phones with no way to run the latest Android or even close to it. A phone can only be updated if someone MAKES an updated ROM for it. Unless you happen to be a talented Android ROM developer, it is unlikely you will be able to create one yourself. And with a niche device no decent developers own, no one else will create one either. In theory, yes it can be updated. But in practice, no it cannot, unless there is an updated ROM available.

And the whole point is moot if they go for the phone you suggested, as it is not Android, it is a crappy dumb phone iOS clone.

5. Alaude

Member Alaude GBAtemp Regular

India
    sorry my mistake :lol: . i thought the second link was the android one. i'll notify the user immediately and thank for posting it i'm really grateful :D

EDIT: and coming back to what you said, being it a china android phone it is probably a copy of another android phone which will have the same ROM from the original so that won't be a problem. So, in practice too it can be updated.

6. chains_of_androm

Member chains_of_androm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Could be a pain to update to android but it is the better choice here.

7. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    I've never seen/read such thing as a China phone having the same android ROM as another android phone. Chances are, they'll ship with their own Android ROM and thus isn't likely to get a Android OS upgrade in practice.

1 person likes this.
  8. HamburgerBandit

Newcomer HamburgerBandit Advanced Member

United States
    Interesting website but are you sure you can trust this place?

9. SifJar

United Kingdom
    When they're going to give it to him for free, I doubt it matters that much. :wink:

10. MelissaUS
    OP

Germany
    Yes I have more than 30 orders from them and now i have enough points to get something for free.
    The shop is reliable, the shipping is free but very slow.

11. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    Were the mobile phones the only thing you could get with the points?

12. MelissaUS
    OP

Germany
    No. I can get anything free for 90$ or less but only one product.
    I need a new phone that's why I want to buy some.

13. Pleng

Member Pleng GBAtemp Maniac

Thailand
    I have a China Android phone. They're pretty good but you have to accept them for what they are; they just about have enough juice to run the version of Android they ship with, don't overload it with service-based apps and don't even think about trying to upgrade the OS.

14. gamelover2

Newcomer gamelover2 Member

United Kingdom
    I like the second one...

15. arthurlkaae

Newcomer arthurlkaae Newbie

United States
    No I like 1st one...