Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello everyone!
I have enough golden points on Chinabuye to get one mobile phone for $90 or less for free.
Can you suggest me a decent mobile phone from there?
For now I'm thinking of ordering one of these two
http://www.chinabuye.com/fine-and-high-quality-gt-i9100-quad-band-dual-sim-dual-standby-4-3-capacitive-touch-screen-android-2-3-wifi-bluetooth-gps-mobile-phone-black-is-a-multi-functional-and-fashionable-cell-phone-6
and
http://www.chinabuye.com/i68-4g-quad-band-dual-sim-dual-standby-wifi-java-phone

And second question: Can I upgrade the Android OS on Chinese phone?

Thank you all in advance!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd say the Android one would be better, if only because it has a proper OS, and not some crappy iOS clone, which is probably far inferior even to most "dumb" phones. Also a bigger screen, which is handy, especially for touch screen devices which can feel cramped with a small screen.

As for upgrading Android, with a "China phone", it is unlikely there is much developer support for that specific device. There if therefore a very slim chance of being able to update Android. At best you might be able to find some modified versions of the stock ROM, at worst you will be stuck with whatever it comes with. But 2.3.4 isn't terrible. It's almost the latest non-ICS version of Android for phones, and many popular smart phones are still stuck around that officially (most are 2.3.5, but close enough), only receiving ICS due to the developer community.

It's also "workable" if you have a little know how. For example, it should be easy enough to root the phone, and get official Market if it's not preinstalled. You should also be able to clear out any preinstalled rubbish you don't want, and install plenty of apps you DO want. You can replace the Launcher etc. to get the phone looking and acting the way you want it. With root, you can use MetaMorph for theming.

Having said all this, I have no experience with either phone. So I can't say for sure which is better, nor which would be more suited to you. Just know that in all likeliness, they are both kinda pathetic.

Reactions: 1 person

Alaude

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hello everyone!
I have enough golden points on Chinabuye to get one mobile phone for $90 or less for free.
Can you suggest me a decent mobile phone from there?
For now I'm thinking of ordering one of these two
http://www.chinabuye...le-cell-phone-6
and
http://www.chinabuye...wifi-java-phone

And second question: Can I upgrade the Android OS on Chinese phone?

Thank you all in advance!

if i were you i would choose the second one. and bout your second question, yea you can update your android phone's software even if it is on a china one because android is open source.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if i were you i would choose the second one. and bout your second question, yea you can update your android phone's software even if it is on a china one because android is open source.
It being open source does not mean you can always update every Android phone. There are hundreds of Android phones with no way to run the latest Android or even close to it. A phone can only be updated if someone MAKES an updated ROM for it. Unless you happen to be a talented Android ROM developer, it is unlikely you will be able to create one yourself. And with a niche device no decent developers own, no one else will create one either. In theory, yes it can be updated. But in practice, no it cannot, unless there is an updated ROM available.

And the whole point is moot if they go for the phone you suggested, as it is not Android, it is a crappy dumb phone iOS clone.

Alaude

Trophies
XP
Country
India
It being open source does not mean you can always update every Android phone. There are hundreds of Android phones with no way to run the latest Android or even close to it. A phone can only be updated if someone MAKES an updated ROM for it. Unless you happen to be a talented Android ROM developer, it is unlikely you will be able to create one yourself. And with a niche device no decent developers own, no one else will create one either. In theory, yes it can be updated. But in practice, no it cannot, unless there is an updated ROM available.

And the whole point is moot if they go for the phone you suggested, as it is not Android, it is a crappy dumb phone iOS clone.

sorry my mistake :lol: . i thought the second link was the android one. i'll notify the user immediately and thank for posting it i'm really grateful :D

EDIT: and coming back to what you said, being it a china android phone it is probably a copy of another android phone which will have the same ROM from the original so that won't be a problem. So, in practice too it can be updated.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
EDIT: and coming back to what you said, being it a china android phone it is probably a copy of another android phone which will have the same ROM from the original so that won't be a problem. So, in practice too it can be updated.

I've never seen/read such thing as a China phone having the same android ROM as another android phone. Chances are, they'll ship with their own Android ROM and thus isn't likely to get a Android OS upgrade in practice.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Were the mobile phones the only thing you could get with the points?

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I have a China Android phone. They're pretty good but you have to accept them for what they are; they just about have enough juice to run the version of Android they ship with, don't overload it with service-based apps and don't even think about trying to upgrade the OS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi:
    sounds like normal sibilings
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I hate @BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    we planned on only having 1 cat, but my mom found the younger one as a kitten in our hay
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hate the conspiracy theorist rabbit man (not saying his name, because again, speak of the devil, and he shall appear)
    bunny man go brr
    what's the conspiracy?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    quite a few i believe
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm going to bed now, see yall tomorrow
    good night
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    9/11 is a religion
    +1
    I might head to bed too, i've been awake for too long now
    that message goes crazy
    the attack on pearl harbor was a myth
    alright, I'll take my leave
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty Night
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Are you a alcoholic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maaaaybe. And it would be An Alcoholic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would be many alcoholics
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I almost bought a nice rifle/shotgun safe today, but the dumbass selling it lost the key and combination, like how can you advertise selling a safe without a key or combo. Wasted my time going to look at it.
  • wolffangalchemist @ wolffangalchemist:
    @K3Nv2, i realy need to get good at bga work, i want to know if that 8gb or ram adds any real benefits.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Seeing someone wearing those black or white gloves while messing with game devices, always bugs me.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah just let blood on the device
    @BigOnYa i just don't wear gloves. they break
    out my eczema.
    +1
    that why i can't work in a deli, i looked like a burn victim when i wirked at publix in the deli.
    wolffangalchemist @ wolffangalchemist: that why i can't work in a deli, i looked like a burn victim when i wirked at publix in the deli.