Hacking Which MicroSD is the best for M3i Zero?

zbelac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My 16gb Topram Class 4 lag in game so i was wondering which card i should get for the best speed possible.

I hesitate between a 8g Sandisk of Class 2 for 18$ or a 8g Kingston of Class 4 for 23$

Can you help me in my choice?
mellow.gif

t^2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
All my microSD cards are SanDisk and I've never had a problem with lag on either of my flashcarts aside from very specific instances in Rune Factory 2 (when there's 98347 monsters on screen at once).

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Class equals speed. If class 4 lags, then why not try class 6?

Highly recommend that your micro SD is Sandisk, Kingston, or Transcend. You can't really go wrong with them.

I have used Kingston before, they are very good.

kraijeck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Micro SDHC Sandisk 8 GB class2
which OK in many games EXCEPT "The world end with you" and "Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey"

They have freeze in the intro

After change to PQI class 6 , No more freeze problem.

the more High Speed micro SD is better.

So I test all my Micro SD card with Crystaldiskmark 3.0 and found some interesting result

1. PQI Micro SDHC 8GB class 6 [Read=16.27 MB/sec Write=11.67 MB/sec]
2. Sandisk Micro SDHC 8GB class 2 [Read=20 MB/sec Write=7.93 MB/sec] >WoW this is a class 6 write speed
3. Kingston Micro SD 2GB (no class) [Read=20 MB/sec Write=5.12 MB/sec]

Sandisk 8G and Kingston 2G fail on intro of "The world end with you" and "Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey"

So freeze problem is depend on WRITE speed of Micro SD card.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kraijeck said:
So freeze problem is depend on WRITE speed of Micro SD card.
But it's not writing to the card is it? so how is Write speed going to effect it.

You forgot the most important, Random access times.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If it's a Japanese Kingston, then it's a good choice as they are pretty fast. If it's a Taiwanese Kinston, then I would have brought a Transcend or Samsung instead.

aragon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I replaced my Sandisk 4GB class 2 with a Panasonic 4GB class 6 recently, mainly because of some freezing problems in CV:DoS and SMT:SJ.
Now everything runs smoothly
smile.gif

bennyheartless

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question that's kind of in the same line. Not to highjack your thread but I thought it was similar enough to not make a new one. Are there any micro sd cards that won't work with an m3i zero? There are two off brands I was looking at one is called Edge and the other is pvy I think. They're both 8gb but have a higher class rating,Edge is 6 and PVY is 4. Provided they work, wouldn't a higher class rating result in better game and M3 operating system performance? Or is class as relative as contrast ration on lcd tv's? Also, to put in my two cents, I have a sandisk sdhc class 2 8gb now. Admirable performance I suppose but I'd like to browse the system menus faster which is where my other inquiry comes from.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bennyheartless said:
I have a question that's kind of in the same line. Not to highjack your thread but I thought it was similar enough to not make a new one. Are there any micro sd cards that won't work with an m3i zero? There are two off brands I was looking at one is called Edge and the other is pvy I think. They're both 8gb but have a higher class rating,Edge is 6 and PVY is 4. Provided they work, wouldn't a higher class rating result in better game and M3 operating system performance? Or is class as relative as contrast ration on lcd tv's? Also, to put in my two cents, I have a sandisk sdhc class 2 8gb now. Admirable performance I suppose but I'd like to browse the system menus faster which is where my other inquiry comes from.

Although higher class means higher speed, most of the time it is only noticable when you save (writing speed). If I were you I will go with PVY since I never heard of Edge.

I actually find that smaller size comes with better reading speed.

bennyheartless

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:
Although higher class means higher speed, most of the time it is only noticable when you save (writing speed). If I were you I will go with PVY since I never heard of Edge.

I actually find that smaller size comes with better reading speed.

Thanks, I figure that the smaller ones probably are faster due to having less data to sort through. I, like zbelac, am just trying to find some kind of happy medium between capacity/speed/and price. I just don't want to run into lag issues after I spend bank on a higher class card. Is there actually any operating system performance increase from going to a higher class say from 2 to 4 or would it simply just translate to game performance? Not that better game performance is a bad thing. From the reviews I've seen higher class doesn't always translate into higher speed. It depends on the manufacturer from what I can tell. One of the reasons I'm wary to stray from a brand name. Kingston and Sandisk you know you can trust in general. And, zbelac, those are some pretty good prices on the cards btw. Paid 25 for mine at a retail store.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why not just go with a class 6, 8GB A-Data? Many people including me have it working fine, with no lags whatsoever even on TWEWY or Castlevania.

Here's just one of the several SD card comparison threads: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=72751 .

I also remember I found just half a year ago an excellent post in some forum (via google) which had comparison about writing/reading/etc. speed of SD cards, with the best card being the A-DATA.

bennyheartless

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fel said:
Why not just go with a class 6, 8GB A-Data? Many people including me have it working fine, with no lags whatsoever even on TWEWY or Castlevania.

Here's just one of the several SD card comparison threads: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=72751 .

I also remember I found just half a year ago an excellent post in some forum (via google) which had comparison about writing/reading/etc. speed of SD cards, with the best card being the A-DATA.
Very nice. Just what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: