Gaming Which laptop?

superkidmax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, well im not a computer noob and i do research before I buy computers.
I'm going to get a laptop for Christmas. I do NOT want a netbook. On my laptop i will install Ubuntu right away, so I don't care about what OS comes with it. I will likely be uing Dolphin [The one and only Wii emulator, thats amazing (do your research)] and using Play On Linux to install Steam. im not looking for too much, so a pentium or core 2 duo is fine, maybe even an i3, as long as it has graphics that fill my needs. Im buying from tigerdirect. My budget is 600 dollars.

I found a lenovo notebook here, and an eMachines here.
but i think my best bet would be this systemax here. it comes with 2 year warranty.
What do you guys think? i'll gladly take any suggestions. and btw, i never used steam before and i want to try it.

Apk07

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why're you so set on Ubuntu? I'd imagine Steam would run smoother on windows as it was originally made for windows. Then again, you could dual-boot.

Also, if you dont need windows pre-installed, see if they have laptops without it, because windows licenses can add onto the cost of the laptop... and stay away from HP laptops.

All 3 of those are dangerously similar, and all 3 have terrible integrated graphics... none of which will do steam much justice

superkidmax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want ubuntu because 1. no viruses/malaware/spyware etc. and 2. i like linux better, look and feel in general. and even those little ubuntu perks like ubuntu one and the software center. i also wasn't loooking for an HP, cuz there overpriced anyway. and i can't really find any no-os systems that have decent specs.

superkidmax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I searched the integrated graphics up, and i (think) all of them could handle steam on low/medium settings. im not so graphics crazy, i can settle with low settings.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'd also recommend an i3. Just because you want Ubuntu so badly (which can be a bad idea) doesn't compensate for low-spec processing. If you also want to play some (really) good Steam games, I'd go so far as to recommend i5 or, in the most extreme cases, i7.

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
superkidmax said:
I searched the integrated graphics up, and i (think) all of them could handle steam on low/medium settings. im not so graphics crazy, i can settle with low settings.

It depends on which games you're going to be playing. Steam has nothing to do with it.

superkidmax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't know which im gonna be playing, might win HL2 from a contest (NOT linking to it, so don't even ask for what it is) and prolly so others, not sure. and steam was a possibility, i don't even have an account. i was mainly running for Dolphin, and thats suprisingly a not-so-high video resource needer. YAY DOLPHIN!!!

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't that a pretty poor choice since you can probably get 5 other laptops with better specs such as....

HP ProBook 4520s

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-AS5742-7120...ci_sku=15125402

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...9519#vi-content

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Sate...p;skuId=1552571

and some other ones which is actually a lot of other ones.....

Edit: Try ebay, amazon and craigslist if you want the best deal.

Well then again I have no idea about the quality or possible difference in integrated graphics.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Dolphin is extremely CPU intensive. I don't think a low end mobile part will be enough. I have a highly overclocked AMD 3 core @ 3.6GHz and I can barely run GCN or Wii games.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
@Rasas, without looking at the eBay link, both the Acer and Toshiba laptops you linked are virtually the same as the Systemax laptop in the first post. Core i3, with Intel GMA HD graphics.

@myuusmeow, most of the Intel Core i range are stronger than most of the AMD range. The benefit you gain from overclocking doesn't neccessarily beat a superior architecture.

That said, I've never used Dolphin so I don't know what system would work best for it. All emulation (Wii emulation, or even SNES emulation) is CPU intensive, although I would imagine having a good GPU would help make things smoother and take some of the burden from the CPU.

Apk07

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
@Rasas, without looking at the eBay link, both the Acer and Toshiba laptops you linked are virtually the same as the Systemax laptop in the first post. Core i3, with Intel GMA HD graphics.

@myuusmeow, most of the Intel Core i range are stronger than most of the AMD range. The benefit you gain from overclocking doesn't neccessarily beat a superior architecture.

That said, I've never used Dolphin so I don't know what system would work best for it. All emulation (Wii emulation, or even SNES emulation) is CPU intensive, although I would imagine having a good GPU would help make things smoother and take some of the burden from the CPU.

- There is an AMD processor to match almost every level of Intel processor. The difference is AMD's are cheaper. Overclocking is also unstable in most games and definitely not a good idea in a low-end laptop with no cooling options.

- To my knowledge most emulators strictly use the CPU and don't really take advantage of GPU acceleration much anyhow, so mobile graphics are going to suffer.

- HL2 is going to look mediocre on most sub-$600 laptop with integrated graphics, despite being a 6 year old game. Also, as someone else said, you can't just say "Steam" games, because Steam is merely a platform for distributing games, not a game system itself. A "Steam game" can be anything from Solitaire, which takes absolutely nothing to run, to Crysis 2, which these laptops couldnt run even if they were overclocked to death, cooled with liquid nitrogen.

You also have to think into the future. After you beat HL2 and get tired of any HL2 mods, what're you going to do? You can't upgrade and you can't play newer games.

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Y05h1

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
As people said, Dolphin is dependent on your CPU, not GPU. It emulates the Wii GPU rather than actually using your GPU, so...
That being said, it doesn't need to be a monster. My 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo runs it decently, so an i3 should definitely do okay. And integrated graphics should be all right for Steam games.

As for RAM, invest in 4GB, don't go for 2. It's a relatively cheap upgrade, but it can have a huge impact. Plus, integrated graphics use your RAM as well, so playing games would mean you would realistically have around 1.5GB RAM available unless you go for 4GB.

I recommend also making sure you get a laptop with a proper screen... too many people neglect that aspect when looking at laptops. Good colour reproduction, good viewing angles, and proper backlighting will really make it a much better experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.