Hardware Which keyboard layout do you use?

Which keyboard layout do you use?

• Default native keymap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Variant of native keymap

• US or a variant of it (for non-native Americans)

• Another country's keymap

• Dvorak

• Variant of Dvorak (specify)

• Other (specify)

• Total voters

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
Trophies
XP
Country
India
boktor666 said:
FiReFoX_7 said:
I have standard qwerty.
smile.gif

qwertyuiop
asdfghjkl
zxcvbnm...
same here. Works so well for me, and it came standard with my computer :3
Same here:P
got it since I bought my PC

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never given this much thought myself. I just use the standard USA QWERTY setup. I'm not the fastest typist in the world, but I did learn touch typing in school. That was nearly 30 years ago. In hindsight, I should have payed more attention in that class. I didn't take it very seriously back then. I mean, who knew I'd be pecking away on a computer now, all those years ago?

To use some other layout would mess me up pretty badly.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Italian QWERTY here. I also know quite a lot of the US keyboard layout. I'd switch to that one, if it weren't for the accented letters which are required from my native tongue
tongue.gif

Here's what my layout looks like:
CODELowercaseÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂUppercase

\1234567890'ì |!"£$%&/()=?^
qwertyuiopè+ÂÂÂÂQWERTYUIOPé*
asdfghjklòàùÂÂÂÂASDFGHJKLç°§
ZXCVBNM;:_

Mazor

Z80 master arch
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Costello said:
I know what you're getting at, OP, but I type fast enough not to be annoyed by what you're saying.
And I never look at the keyboard not even for special characters.
Issac said:
Swedish qwerty here... and I have no trouble what so ever programming and using special characters at all.
And yes, I program on a daily basis.

I only have to move my right thumb a little bit to the right to hit Alt Gr, and then I'm good to go with the special characters
tongue.gif

I programmed in the native Swedish layout for years and it's only recently, after working at a place where almost everyone used US and I saw it in effect, that I made the switch. For me it was definitely not a case of going from slow to fast or annoyed to not annoyed, I was happy with what I had and was typing fast (of course never looking at the keyboard for any character).

Switching to US is definitely not a must, but there really is a considerable difference in speed, especially compared to layouts such as the Swedish one. For instance, moving your thumb to Alt Gr is a lot slower than not moving your thumb to Alt Gr.

QUOTE(raulpica @ Jul 14 2011, 05:08 PM)
Italian QWERTY here. I also know quite a lot of the US keyboard layout. I'd switch to that one, if it weren't for the accented letters which are required from my native tongue
tongue.gif
You could just use US-International I mentioned in the OP.

Switching keyboard layouts is also just an Alt+Shift away in Windows once you've selected which ones you want to use.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fun fact: The QWERTY layout was initially designed to prevent old typewriters from jamming by placing the commonly used keys away from each other.
Theoretically, people should be able to type faster with the Dvorak layout, since it was designed to be more efficient, prevent typos, and prevent issues such as carpal tunnel syndrome. But nobody wants to make a change to something that nearly everybody's accustomed to, so we're stuck with the QWERTY layout for the most part.
I don't mind anyways, I've been using QWERTY my whole life.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
The only problem I have with typing is that some OSs and programs switch " and @

It should be like this:
Shift + 2 = "
Shift + ' = @

But tons of programs stuff it up.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ThePowerOutage said:
The only problem I have with typing is that some OSs and programs switch " and @

It should be like this:
Shift + 2 = "
Shift + ' = @

But tons of programs stuff it up.
Because they're probably set to the US (or non-UK) keyboard, where they're reversed.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Mazor said:
raulpica said:
tongue.gif
You could just use US-International I mentioned in the OP.

Switching keyboard layouts is also just an Alt+Shift away in Windows once you've selected which ones you want to use.
Awesome. I'll probably switch over to it, after I get a mechanical keyboard (if I ever decide which to buy)
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.