Gaming Which game should I play first?

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey, I've finally decided to give final fantasy series a try, I love action based games so I picked Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Echoes of Time! However what game do you guys recommend I should try first? I can't decide =/

Prime_Zero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well.. you didn't pick the good Ds final fantasy games to start with.. I say flip a coin I tried both and just couldn't finish them.
You should look for the good ones like Final Fantasy IV or III.
But that's my opinion..

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
On the contrary I think FF's Echoes of Time and RoF are better than 3&4.

Echoes of Time is the best. More Bosses, more levels, more equipment customizations, Wifi Multiplayer (Even though its laggy as hell -_-;), more equipment bonuses, better missions, online PVP (PlayerVsPlayer) and even has all of Ring of Fate's bosses.
Whats more is the entire 1st player mode can be played online with others.

That even includes watching and skipping cutscenes together.

And he DID say Action Final Fantasy and the Crystal Chronicles is the only FF's on DS that fit that category.

pioquinto111

Trophies
XP
Country
In my opinion, you should try FFCC:RoF first, just to get on with the basics because in FFCC:EoT there are some puzzles can be really frustrating because the AI is really really stupid (i'm serious about this). Plus, the first one is easier. But if you want more choices in weapons (maybe) and skills, go for FFCC:EoT.. just beware of the stupid AI. but you can always play online if you need help. EoT is way way better than RoF

NOTE: I finished both so i can tell the diff.

Hyozanryu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Crystal Chronicles is not really a FF...Plus, I wouldn't recommend RoF, the gameplay is horrible and the AI is just crappy. If you want a true FF try the IV, it's the best on the DS. It's not action but turn based however. If you don't like turn based RPG don't lose your time on the old FF...

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Prime_Zero said:
Well.. you didn't pick the good Ds final fantasy games to start with.. I say flip a coin I tried both and just couldn't finish them.
You should look for the good ones like Final Fantasy IV or III.
But that's my opinion..

Any turn based FF game is boring as hell. They aren't even backed by good storylines to make them worth playing.
You'd have to pay me a very generous sum to even think of trying one of them again.

Play RoF, then play EoT.
Simple answer is it's better to play them in order of release.

EDIT: Noticed you went with the smart choice. Good.
Hopefully you choose Clavat or Yuke to play as. Lilty is absolutely worthless, and Selkie isn't too great comparatively. Clavat and Yuke get somewhat nerfed in EoT (to balance), and Selkie gets buffed. Lilty gets a bit better but is still completely worthless to actually play as.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Obviosly someone isn't so good at using Lilty.

High HP, STR and STUN make Lilty ideal in close combat and hit&run tactics.
Not to mention its Final charge does instant ranged damage unlike Clavat's which require a taget to stay within a 5 body radius and stay on the same X or Y axis for longer than a second depending on the clavat's front position. And the beam will always do massive damage and STUN who is hit giving you time to cast atleast Blizzara on them, and allow an additional 3-6 hits. I couldn't tell you how many times I'd pwn a clavat in PVP with a Lilty.

A Selkie double jumps which makes it ideal in evasion and speed. A Selkie has the best chance to avoid boss attacks and can quickly jump over a boss and attack it in the back. And a Selkie's final charge with a bow at close range can do 15x damage. And thier paddles can summon meteor area damage. Not to mention a Selkie and Lilty arguably have the better armor appearances than a Yuke's if you're the type to care about how good you look.

Clavat's only strong point is a 5 hit combo with low STUN and balanced stats and a Yuke's strong point is high MP&MAG with ability to combine 5 magics and Tier 4 Spells which become impossible to use online or a fast moving target in time. A Yuke is the onle being able to cast Ultima but the time window is so small that you can only cast it where you are standing and requires you to be lucky enough not to be hit and to be fast enough.

But then again what people prefer is only opinion based.
You say Lilty and Selkie are worthless, I say Clavat and Yuke are worthless. There no right answer in this case.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Based on playing and seeing one played, not theoretics, liltys are crap, and selkies are only good in EoT.
Evasion and speed? I had to stop reading there because you stopped showing that you played the game. EoT and RoF don't need "evasion and speed". Being able to run around like a moron doing nothing is worthless.

Lilties are terrible because a clavat can pretty much match their damage, as well as tank easily.

Saying a Yuke is worthless proves you've never even used magic. A maxed Yuke can have you frozen, then dead in 5 seconds. You can't dodge their magic if they are geared because their magic ring travels at the speed of light, and a good mage can have you hit by any basic spell like fire, thunder or ice, and then, even in the small stagger fire provides, have you slowed, gravitied and if you aren't dead by that point, barraged by Ga spells. Till you ARE dead.
Even if a yuke is forced to melee, their hammer does a fair amount of damage PLUS it stacks with the magicite they shoot. Enabling them to be slow, but strong attackers. (though it'd be foolish to get close range as a Yuke due to low def of course)

I'm speaking PvP here because it's the best show of what a class can do. Yuke > Clavat > Selkie > Lilty

Yukes are insanely overpowered when geared properly, because a clavat and lilty don't have a hope in hell of reaching them, and a selkie firing a shot from a bow would be hit by a spell before their projectile even hoped to hit the yuke, if it did at all. The only thing that owns a yuke, is a yuke (because of the magic def advantage, lol). Gotta be a good, fast Yuke though. Any weakness in your casting and you're a useless Yuke in a PvP scenario.

Clavat vs Lilty is fun too. A hybrid magic+melee clavat is glorious. I haven't ever done well with hybriding a lilty to magic. They just aren't good at all at it. In terms of a real MMO type game, Clavat is a magic swordsman, and lilty is a berserker.
Magic is a make or break in the game unfortunately. It holds intense power. Meaning being a berserker is BAD.
Playing to the strengths of magic to give huge advantages in battle easily beats being able to stun. Which can easily be countered.

As for selkie....not much to say. I like them but I don't. They hybrid to magic much, much easier then Clavat, but in the end don't do as well with it. The bow is still useless unless you're point blank allowing all of your arrows to hit, but you have weak defense...leaving you to be killed quickly by any clavat and hell, even a lilty. A paddle selkie might be able to best a yuke if they are very good at dodging magic. Get to that yuke...yuke is dead. Bow Selkie wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting close enough and staying close enough.

Selkie is the best in EoT storymode though. Double jump is easily exploitable to skip huge chunks of levels. Monsters are all stupid, and bosses are all simple, so a selkie can easily be either bow OR paddle in still easily best any boss solo. They are made useless in RoF by exploiting stacking magicite into gigantic staircases to get -anywhere- that would normally be restricted by height before.

Most of this IS opinion, but what isn't opinion is the fact that Yukes are insanely difficult to best without another Yuke because magic is still brokenly strong. They're EZmode, but still so damn fun to play as.

Nerioe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to have to agree with Njrg. My favorite class is Lilty for many of the reasons listed. Although the only one I don't like is Yuke, I can't ever get magic stacked quick enough.

dysan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
sorry for hijacking the thread but quick question!

do echoes of time and ring of fates play single card multiplayer? what are their multiplayer capabilities?

Registered Troll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Demonbart said:
Njrg said:
Hyozanryu said:
Crystal Chronicles is not really a FF...
Bullshit.
Not really, it's a spinoff, with gameplay that is different from that of the main series.
I did enjoy the Crystal Chronicles games more than the "real" FFs like 3 and 4 though.

So FF X-2 is also no "real" FF? Same with FF11? And FF12 too. You're just talking bullshit.

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Registered Troll said:
Demonbart said:
Njrg said:
Hyozanryu said:
Bullshit.
Not really, it's a spinoff, with gameplay that is different from that of the main series.
I did enjoy the Crystal Chronicles games more than the "real" FFs like 3 and 4 though.

So FF X-2 is also no "real" FF? Same with FF11? And FF12 too. You're just talking bullshit.
Lemme clear this up
All numerical FFs with no subtitles nor crappy "-2" sticked into the title = REAL FF
FF X-2 = WORSE THAN MYSTIC QUEST

got it?

Registered Troll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
naglaro00 said:
Registered Troll said:
Demonbart said:
Njrg said:
Hyozanryu said:
Bullshit.

Lemme clear this up
All numerical FFs with no subtitles nor crappy "-2" sticked into the title = REAL FF
FF X-2 = WORSE THAN MYSTIC QUEST

got it?

That's plain bullshit. They are all "real" FFs.

dysan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
do I sense a flame war starting? yay!
toot.gif

lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum