Which Flashcard?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Ambizh, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Ambizh
    OP

Ambizh Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2015
    Gambia, The
    So I'm researching this topic the whole night by now, and the result is nothing but confusion.

I'm planning to buy a flashcard for my New3DSXL (9.9.0-26E), but I don't know which one to take.
    So it seems like Gateway and R4i are the most common ones, but Ican't find no clear informations about the specifications.

I need a Flashcard, that I can play both 3DS and DS games with; features like GBAemu and Online support would be nice.

Thanks for help :)

2. godstriker8

godstriker8 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    Canada
    You have no choice but to get Sky3ds at your firmware level. It can't play DS games or use homebrew such as emulators.

If you don't know what you're doing, online will also get your console banned.

3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    The mods REALLY need to sticky the "which flashcart should I buy?" guide thread!!!

Margen67 and Zidapi like this.
  4. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    I've put together a draft for a potential sticky providing a guide for the various flashcarts available for various firmware versions.

Bare in mind this is only a draft! I'm looking for feedback from the community before making an official thread

Is it a little preemptive to put an end version for sky? I mean maybe the new AP measures and the removal of old updates from NUS are the end of Nintendo's offensive, right? :unsure:

5. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    This already exists in a thread titled "[GUIDE] Which flashcart should I buy?". It is very slightly out of date though (by about a month).

6. Ambizh
    OP

Ambizh Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2015
    Gambia, The
    According the some sources, the R4i would be compatible with my New 3DS XL, so I bought the gold revolution.
    The console seems to accept the software, but the game card just won't lock inside. Why is that so?

7. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Bullet Hell
    So, you asked a question and ignored the answers... :glare:

I'm not even sure what you're asking now - are you saying the microsd doesn't lock into the flashcart?

8. Ambizh
    OP

Ambizh Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I didn't ignore the previous answers, those were a help :) Oh right, forget the 'thanks' :'D
    I was talking about the mechanism in the console, that keeps the card inside.
    So after some time of trying and practicing, the card stays inside and it works fine. Seems like I did not get the best exemplar of a 3DS :D

9. calebsw

calebsw GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    United States
    I didn't want to create a new post, but I have a new 3ds xl with 9.9 too. I looked at how Sky3ds operates, and is that really the only option? It seems so awkward to cycle through games with the button. Maybe I'm spoiled from using the AceKard2i and Supercard DSTwo on the DS. The gateway is a little awkward with its elaborate exploit method, but at least it has on screen menu to choose your games. I'm also a bit disappointed I didn't think to check this forum before upgrading my fw, because it would have been nice to have access to eshop games on the gateway. Oh well. Maybe there's some newer cart in development?

10. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Sky3DS is your only option. If you want to use gateway you'll have to get a new console

calebsw likes this.
  11. Daniel41550

Daniel41550 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 21, 2015
    United States
    QQ3DS comes with a ds flashcart included and is a bit cheaper than the SKY3DS, I'm unsure if the DS Flashcart will work on 9.9, but it probably will, and you will not need to cycle through DS Games, because it opens into a file manager for DS Games I think. If money is not an issue for you though, get a Sky3ds and a DSTwo , DSTwo is cool.

P.S. If you do get a QQ3DS all the tools on the SKY3DS page can be used on a QQ3DS because they are the same card, but QQ3DS is a clone.