Hacking Which flashcard should I choose?

What should I do?

• Total voters

krraka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hello.

I've got an "old" 3DS with the update 9.5.0-22 (it is an european 3DS)

I want to get a flashcard to play my favorite games, but I can't decide which flashcard to choose.
I've read the Sky3DS has region locking, which makes it difficult to find EUR games for my console. On the other hand, I've got the Gateway3DS, but it doesn't support the update I've got in my 3DS (and I've read it may not get it for a LOOOOOONG time).

I've also read that some people found out how to make the Sky3DS run games from other regions with the "region-three". Is that true?

To sum up, should I wait for the Gateway3DS, or get a Sky3DS?

rickycoe123

Trophies
XP
Country
If you can afford it, buy the Sky3DS and wait for Gateway to release (if they do) or alternatively, you can buy a second console on 9.2 or below as they are about the same price as a Sky cart now, even treat yourself to a XL.

krraka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If you can afford it, buy the Sky3DS and wait for Gateway to release (if they do) or alternatively, you can buy a second console on 9.2 or below as they are about the same price as a Sky cart now, even treat yourself to a XL.

The thing is I live in a country where it is pretty difficult to get a 3DS, and if you were to see one, it would be extremely overpriced. And my 3DS is already a XL one :P.

And I don't think I have enough money to get a Sky3DS now and get a Getaway whenever they decide to release a new update.
So.... Should I get the Sky3DS anyway?

rickycoe123

Trophies
XP
Country
Not having even used a Sky, that's what I'd recommend in your situation. You could even sell the GW to fund the Sky.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you do not update past 9.5.0-22 you can still use RegionThree for playing out of region games, I think.
Do not wait for Gateway 9.5, it will probably never come, and you will have a depreciating, dust collecting 3DS for ever.
It makes no sense. There are plenty of great European games anyway, so it is better to live with region locking than without anything.
The problem regarding Europe is that there are many interesting games that are Eshop only (so anyway they will not run in a Sky3DS).

PS: You can still buy games from the eshop anyway, if you are willing to update and lose the possibility of multiregion... and that may not be worthy... 9.5.0-23 blocks regionthree.

krraka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If you do not update to 9.5.0-22 you can still use RegionThree for playing out of region games, I think.
Do not wait for Gateway 9.5, it will probably never come, and you will have a depreciating, dust collecting 3DS for ever.
It makes no sense. There are plenty of great European games anyway, so it is better to live with region locking than without anything.
The problem regarding Europe is that there are many interesting games that are Eshop only (so anyway they will not run in a Sky3DS).

PS: You can still buy games from the eshop anyway, if you are willing to update and lose the possibility of multiregion... and that may not be worthy... 9.5.0-23 blocks regionthree.

I haven't updated to 9.5.0-23 yet. However, my Nintendo 3DS has the 9.5.0-22 update.
Are you sure the region three is not compatible with 9.5.0-22?

EDIT: Just checked in the official webpage:
Region Three: region free loader for 3DS/3DSXL/2DS on firmware versions 4.0 to 9.5.0-22 this also allows you to bypass mandatory gamecard firmware updates

krraka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thanks everybody for the help.
I'll try to get a Sky3DS then and use the Region Three to run every type of game

If there is anything else I should be taking into account please be sure to tell me :D

And... If you guys don't mind, would you like telling me your favorite 3DS games?

Reactions: Kelton2

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I haven't updated to 9.5.0-23 yet. However, my Nintendo 3DS has the 9.5.0-22 update.
Are you sure the region three is not compatible with 9.5.0-22?

EDIT: Just checked in the official webpage:

Sorry, it was a typo. I wanted to say "If you do not update past 9.5.0-22..."

As for favorite 3DS games...
Well, probably a list of what I own:
  • Fire Emblem 13
  • Super Smash Bros 4
  • Bravely Default
  • Shin Megami Tensei 4
  • Persona Q
  • Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Zelda A link between worlds
  • Zelda Ocarina Of Time
  • Zelda Majora's Mask
  • Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies
  • Mario 3D Land
Also I've heard good things about
  • Monster Hunter 4
  • Fantasy Life
  • Rune Factory 4
I liked Tales of the Abyss in the PS2, but I haven't tried it in 3DS, probably it is still good.
Well, I like mostly RPGs, dungeon crawlers, strategy and VNs.
I also own Pokemon Y and Metal Gear Solid Framedrops 3D, but I don't enjoy those ones so much.

krraka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Sorry, it was a typo. I wanted to say "If you do not update past 9.5.0-22..."

As for favorite 3DS games...
Well, probably a list of what I own:
  • Fire Emblem 13
  • Super Smash Bros 4
  • Bravely Default
  • Shin Megami Tensei 4
  • Persona Q
  • Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Zelda A link between worlds
  • Zelda Ocarina Of Time
  • Zelda Majora's Mask
  • Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies
  • Mario 3D Land
Also I've heard good things about

• Monster Hunter 4
  • Fantasy Life
  • Rune Factory 4
I liked Tales of the Abyss in the PS2, but I haven't tried it in 3DS, probably it is still good.

Well, I like mostly RPGs, dungeon crawlers, strategy and VNs.
I also own Pokemon Y and Metal Gear Solid Framedrops 3D, but I don't enjoy those ones so much.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. There are some games I had never heard of but when I googled them seemed to be really interesting games :D
Do I need to have played the previous Shin Migami Tensei to play Shin Migami Tensei 4?

BTW, you should try Kid Icarus Uprising. Easily one of the best 3DS titles right now ;)

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you do not update to the latest version, you'll not be able to access the eShop though (Games, DLC, updates!)

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks a lot for the recommendations. There are some games I had never heard of but when I googled them seemed to be really interesting games :D
Do I need to have played the previous Shin Migami Tensei to play Shin Migami Tensei 4?

BTW, you should try Kid Icarus Uprising. Easily one of the best 3DS titles right now ;)
You don't need to play previous SMT games, they are mostly independent stories sharing some concepts and gameplay.

iViperz

Trophies
XP
Country
Ideally you should have a button for both :P
Sky is probably your only option since you're on 9.5, the latest update breaks region free so just be wary of that if you wanted region free games.

krraka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ideally you should have a button for both :P
Sky is probably your only option since you're on 9.5, the latest update breaks region free so just be wary of that if you wanted region free games.

What do you mean? Won't I be able to play games from other regions with the Region Three?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No brainer.
Get a Sky3DS.

I'm a GW owner, but God knows when the heck will a 9.5 exploit be possible (if it ever does) and don't expect nothing short of a year at least from Gateway if that were to happen.

In your position, the best suitable option would be a Sky3DS for you, and if you want Region Free do not update to 9.5.0-23

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...