Which Final Fantasy?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Spartan A24, May 10, 2009.

May 10, 2009

Which Final Fantasy? by Spartan A24 at 11:19 PM (2,288 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. Spartan A24
    OP

Newcomer Spartan A24 Member

United States
    I'm going to get a Final Fantasy game for the DS, and I'm trying to decide which one. What would you suggest? FFIII, FFIV, FFCC:EoT, or FFCC:RoF

2. infinete

Member infinete The Temp's cynic.

United Kingdom
    FFIII & FFIV are turn based, IV was harder with better story line, although III was more fun
    FFCC:EoT & FFCC:RoF are RTS i suppose, hack and slash, i prefered ROF purely for the type specialities, but EOT has an easier multilayer, which is also global.
    This is just my opinion though, if you plan to play with friends, prob ROF, if they have it, if not prob FFIII, have you considered FFIV though, that is supposed to be a very good and hard game for the DS. Entirley up to you in the end though, maybe you should look up some videos on youtube, see what the games are like for yourself. Hope that helped a little.

3. Teelow

Member Teelow GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well They're All Good Games And I suggest you play them all

Here my thoughts

If you like the RPG type of games with random battle encounters, where you move-about on a global map of some sort and also with a turn by turn bases then
    FFIII and FFIV are more you're type

However if you are into RPG games with in game fights -like you actually see the enemies and have a set of attacks to preform in game without a turn by turn bases then

FFRoF and FFEoT are more you're type

I do Heavy Recommend if you do plan playing FFEoT you do play RoF first since it is the EoT is the sequel to RoF.

Also if you like me go more in depth then just ask

4. Spartan A24
    OP

Newcomer Spartan A24 Member

United States
    Ok, I think I'll get FFIV. I like more traditional turn-based JRPGs. Thanks for all the feedback!

5. Teelow

Member Teelow GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Good Choice You will Love the Graphics and Movie Scenes!

EDIT: and Enjoy the Game

6. overslept

Member overslept WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD

United States
    If you're a nut for class/job-based RPGs like me, you'll love FFIII. But I liked FFIV better.

7. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    FFIV is a classic but i didn't like it much...

Try DQ games too....

8. joyce

Newcomer joyce Newbie

United States
    If you like the RPG type of games with random battle encounters, where you move-about on a global map of some sort and also with a turn by turn bases then
    FFIII and FFIV are more you're type

However if you are into RPG games with in game fights -like you actually see the enemies and have a set of attacks to preform in game without a turn by turn bases then

FFRoF and FFEoT are more you're type

that's good comment,that is what i want to say

9. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Well 2 are real RPGs and the others are action-rpgs, more like Diablo type games.

Let's say you don't care which style you love more than the other...I'd say your best bet if you just want a fun little romp would be to start with FFCC: Ring of Fates. But, if you want something that'll take a good while to do, has a decent challenge, but is entirely fair then FFIII.

If you want something that's like RoF but is harder and has more stages to do then go with Echoes of Time. Lastly I'd say avoid FF4 unless you're into S&M because the game is a cheat and unfair in a few ways in how they so called upgraded it. FF4 outside the DS is my favorite entry in the series, but on the DS it's awful as they went modern FF on it making boss fights have to be done in 1 solitary way or you get a nasty counter attack that'll kill in 1 to 2 blows. Making it worse, random enemies in some areas can do much the same with a team wide deathblow. Unless you want to be humping a strategy guide most the way with a DS game, avoid FF4.

10. misanthrope

Newcomer misanthrope Advanced Member

Mexico
    Make sure you level grind like a maniac or otherwise use a guide on Final Fantasy IV: Its the japanese hard as ...... Version.

11. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    FF III- Never played
    FF IV- Really good game. The graphics, gameplay, and story are all fun, but I warn you... this game is REALLY hard.
    FFTA2: Played it for a while, couldn't really get into it. Battles were too slow for my taste.
    Revenant Wings - This one is really fun too.
    CC:EoT - Played it for 10 minutes, didn't really enjoy it. Plus, it seems like a wi-fi oriented game, which is immediately a turn off for me.
    CC:RoF - Never played.

So I'd recommend FFIV if you're up for the challenge or Revenant Wings.

12. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    FF III - seems ok but after you play it I tend to stop and never go back,bordem I guess.....

FF IV - nice challenge,nice graphic update,the downfall of the game is some encounters you get KO'd cheaply by the CPU despite your level.....

FFTA2 - I was really into this one for awhile but I agree the battles sometimes took 15 or more mins to complete (due to spell casting and movement).....

CC:EoT/CC:RoF - Played the first one it was ok for alittle bit but got bored of it quickly and I never gave the 2nd one a try.....

So the clear winner is FF IV,but if they remade VI then that would be the clear winner for the DS [​IMG]

13. regnad

Member regnad Button Masher

Japan
    No mention of FF Tactics A2?

It's a completely different game, but it's also a very very very good game.

I'm currently playing it, and 100+ hours in I still find it extremely hard to put down.

14. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Please don't make the excuse that FF4 is challenging, it's not, not if you also did the PSX or the GBA version of FF4 as that's hard type too. This game is exclusively aggravating on the DS because of the example I gave before of very specific and single minded and in single ordered attacks required or you die in a blow or two despite how overly leveled you are, and in some towers/caves you get a random beast that can do the same at will and as often as it likes as a party wide attack.

Seriously avoid it. It may be the best of the FF tales due to the story, base gameplay, and the rest it carried, but the DS version is a late term abortion on a card.

15. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    It was already mentioned.....

16. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    FF III - HARD!
    FF IV - Since I did use the exp cheat, it was simple. I only use x2 and nothing more. I do hate that boss fight where you have reverse gas on you...very irritating!
    FFCC:ROF - Repetition but good. I didn't bother with FFCC:EOT. Try Soma Bringer, another great action RPG
    FFTA2 - I didn't even beat the first battle on the GBA, no!

17. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    You cant win the first battle lol? the first one is tutorial and the battle ends on 5 round or something -.- or if the dude getting bullied gets hp down to 2 or 3

18. MasterGamer

Newcomer MasterGamer Advanced Member

Australia
    My faves were the Crystal Chronicles, One and Two...

Two is a better game in my opinion but it is a sequel from the second one and if you play games for story One is probably better

(one is ROF two is EOT)

19. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    One.... the first FFCC was on Gamecube.... Although RoF was a prequel...

But nonetheless, i agree with you RoF had a great story. EoT had less story (judging from 15 minutes of gameplay) but has the excellent wi-fi co-op. But I think if you play EoT after RoF there may be a hint of repitition.....

20. Shadz

Member Shadz GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Get FFTA2 or FFCC:EoT. Both are good.

First is just awesome, 100+ hours, still playing and leveling my team.

Second is endless fun due to amount of unlockables and online play.