Hacking Which filesystem in future mediacenter/isoloader?

jonas18z

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe soon we will see a media center (USB-loader,mediaplayer, homebrew....) in the same software.
So what file system is the best for the WII?

NTFS

exFAT (FAT64)

ext2/3/4

ZFS

WBS

Fat32, is out for the 4gb limit

What do you think?

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the problem i see with a different filesystem than fat is the compatibility with other hb apps. for example with mplayer, emus, etc.. they would all have to integrate an other filesystem and keep fat for sd access. right now everybody apart from usb loader and geexbox (as far as i know supports other fs too) uses libfat for fileaccess. till the point where an other filesystem is established there will be a lot of confusion. every homebrew that wants to give access to a 'native' wii sd card (one the systemmenu can use as well) would have to integrate both and handle the calls. don't know if that's what we want.

and one other thing is this (i got a little bit harsh here, sorry for that):
Screemer said:
have you read my edited post? should i buy a portable drive for every application i'm going to use? every other damn homebrew app uses fat to access external drives and sd cards. every damn os can access/read/write a fat formated portable drive. nearly no homebrew can read/access other partitions besides the main partition. even if i create 2 partitions it's not going to work. usb loader needs the primary partition to be wbfs, every other hb needs it to be fat or it could not be accessed. that's why i am moaning for fat with splitted isos. i am not for ntfs, ext, reiser, or what ever. i want to use my hard drive as it was intended to be. and its purpose is to be a portable drive.

that's what i see right now. but you can try to convince me
smile.gif

carbonyle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
Arm the Homeless said:
carbonyle said:
WBFS: one drive for the wii thats all
Problem is, it's an obscure filesystem which isn't recognized by any OS by default.

EXT2 is a mature filesystem and is known by Linux and has OS X and Windows drivers.
I agree and i like ext2 since I'm a linux user but everything is ready for wbfs...no? kwiirk has done a wonderfull job with wanin on wbfs. And now we have a fuse module for wbfs for linux and wbfs manager for windows. But i know wbfs is not perfect but could be an "official" FS for the wii scene...maybe?

forbore

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think EXT2 is a great FS(I use EXT3 which is EXT2 but journaled) and is easy of access but it would be also really cool to use WBFS but as Arm said, it's mostly used for piracy(not backups) so people with different morals won't want to use it.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
fatlib for me. It's just too established. And it has worked fine for every homebrew until now.

Then the USB-Loader comes out, and everyone loves WBFS and everybody starts talking about other filesystems so they can pirate easier (because that's the purpose, let's be frank).
Let WBFS stay for the USB-Loader. I would seriously HATE to put homebrew on my SD using a manager of some sorts.

If things work and are easy, why change them?

I'm a great fan of EXT2, but it's not really foreseeable for the moment.
Maybe when WiiLinux will be more developed (WiiLinux + bootmii comes to mind)... but not now.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
You're kidding me, right? We won't have a MediaCenter soon...forget it. MPlayer/GeeXbox exist for a long time, and are still not that stable. And it would be a massive overload to put USB-Loader with a Media Player together...simply no, stupid idea.

And like Waninkoko said..WBFS is the best, beacuse it can automaticly trim the ISOs...and also keeps the total noobs away
tongue.gif
. Please stop with these stupid "I love WBFS, but I want another Filesystem"-Threads...simply update WBFS, so it supports what you want, and all will be fine...
dry.gif
. Otherwise, how will you implement the trimming into EXT-Filesystems? It's impossible...

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
Blue-K is right, stop asking about other file systems, either code up supported libs for them or don't bother posting, if they're that easy and not that hard to do as some iv'e seen on this forum say, why ain't they available?
I'm sure waninkoko has posted somewhere buried probably page 20 due to the mass crap on USB, that other file systems are a no no. so just leave it at that ok? if your'e not happy, if your'e device is problematic, you have 2 choices. take the easy one. just remember are you paying for it? No, so why moan.
Honestly, it's incredible the attitude with some people.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
waninkoko posted many times now that we can forget about other filesystems and has specified why (see above) so stop askin for ext2/ntfs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...