Hacking Which CFW do You suggest for.......

[^Blark^]

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering what CFW would be best for running Translation hacks. I own a SKY3ds w/N3DsXL 9.0FW it has NTR on it as of now for REGIONFREE. ok so I read that it has to be through LayeredFs on a CFW to run translations. I want to import Beyond the labyrinth and play it... so i would need one of these.

ex.
PastaCFW, RxTools, CakeFW, ReiNandCFW

I would still like access to my GW menu through LoZ but I don't think any CFW messes with that...

what do you all suggest. I haven't really touched my N3DS in awhile so its outdated when it comes to CFW/homebrew. I mainly just had it to play imports but now that some trans proj are getting releases I want to give them a try.

Your suggestions/opinions/Help is very appreciated

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering what CFW would be best for running Translation hacks. I own a SKY3ds w/N3DsXL 9.0FW it has NTR on it as of now for REGIONFREE. ok so I read that it has to be through LayeredFs on a CFW to run translations. I want to import Beyond the labyrinth and play it... so i would need one of these.

ex.
PastaCFW, RxTools, CakeFW, ReiNandCFW

I would still like access to my GW menu through LoZ but I don't think any CFW messes with that...

what do you all suggest. I haven't really touched my N3DS in awhile so its outdated when it comes to CFW/homebrew. I mainly just had it to play imports but now that some trans proj are getting releases I want to give them a try.

Your suggestions/opinions/Help is very appreciated
For now ReiNand until rxTools is ready and complete.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure rxTools does not support the N3DS at this time.

Edit: Had to dig deep in threads for info on the fact that they are working to get rxTools on the n3ds and it is working (sort of) in the latest nightly builds.

I would strongly recommend against using rxTools with a N3DS until an official stable build comes out unless you are willing to risk a brick and/or have a hardmod to restore a nand.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does but not stable enough to use.
I nominate for reiNand 2.1

Yeah I had to do some real digging to find it, which tells me I want to avoid it myself for now (especially since I don't have a way to come back from a brick)

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah I had to do some real digging to find it, which tells me I want to avoid it myself for now (especially since I don't have a way to come back from a brick)

A brick? Hell NO. There is not such a thing about bricking when using CFW.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A brick? Hell NO. There is not such a thing about bricking when using CFW.

If you mean to say it isnt possible to brick then you are misinformed. It is ALWAYS possible to brick if you mess up. Significantly less chance when using stable builds/code and following approved methods, significantly MORE chance if using unstable builds/code (like the rxTools nightlys).

If you mean to stay there is no way to recover from one then you are right for most people. You would likely need a hardmod to be able to restore a backed up nand, and I for one do not have a hardmodded console.

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If you mean to say it isnt possible to brick then you are misinformed. It is ALWAYS possible to brick if you mess up. Significantly less chance when using stable builds/code and following approved methods, significantly MORE chance if using unstable builds/code (like the rxTools nightlys).

If you mean to stay there is no way to recover from one then you are right for most people. You would likely need a hardmod to be able to restore a backed up nand, and I for one do not have a hardmodded console.

I would say, it's extremely hard ( or never but I avoid 'never') to brick a console when using an unstable CFW (lol except GW) unless you have accidentally deleted or messed up system titles/ apps.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say, it's extremely hard ( or never but I avoid 'never') to brick a console when using an unstable CFW (lol except GW) unless you have accidentally deleted or messed up system titles/ apps.

Eh, still why take the risk when a more stable option exists with less chance of a brick (less is ALWAYS better in that regard).

cakesFW for me. it also works with NTR cfw.

Wasn't NTR totally anti-piracy? I was under the impression most translation hacks were modifications of roms themselves.

[^Blark^]

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only plan to use this for running Translations I don't plan on messing with installing custom CIA etc... less chance of brick because I don't wanna ruin this console.

it's the limited edition majoras mask N3dsXL

I'll check into ReiNand/rxtools.

thanks for the feedback everyone.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only plan to use this for running Translations I don't plan on messing with installing custom CIA etc... less chance of brick because I don't wanna ruin this console.

it's the limited edition majoras mask N3dsXL

I'll check into ReiNand/rxtools.

thanks for the feedback everyone.

I would suggest avoiding rxTools then. Why run any risk of messing up your limited edition console by running unstable nightlies.

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Bullshit there isn't! :P

But anyway, as others suggested, your best choices at the moment are either Reinand or CakesFW + NTR 3.0 cia. :)

Even restore a 943mb nand backup into 1.21gb nand or 1.21gb nand back into 1.84gb nand using your decrypt9 version won't brick my 2ds and n3ds :P

Anyway, is there a way to do takes on emuNand using Decrypt9? Thanks.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
stop being silly guys ofc there is risks involved with using beta versions of CFW's, even the official releases of rxtools had bugs including one that could easily brick your 3DS if you chose one of the nand injection tools without the required files on the SD sure the risk might be small but playing with beta software is never 100% risk free, especially for software that has the capability of overwriting files on the nand, and really the last time i read the rxtools thread there was issues with the n3DS build so its not really something people should be jumping on until its stable

for the moment reinand or cakes is the best option for n3DS users and rxtools for o3DS users, once all the kinks have been ironed out on rxtools for the n3DS it would be better simply for conformity not because it has special killer features

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
stop being silly guys ofc there is risks involved with using beta versions of CFW's, even the official releases of rxtools had bugs including one that could easily brick your 3DS if you chose one of the nand injection tools without the required files on the SD sure the risk might be small but playing with beta software is never 100% risk free, especially for software that has the capability of overwriting files on the nand

for the moment reinand or cakes is the best option for n3DS users and rxtools for o3DS users, once all the kinks have been ironed out on rxtools for the n3DS it would be better simply for conformity not because it has special killer features

It's been decided sir, reiNand 2.1. It's free to discuss something else due to there are just two 'safe' cfws out there... not many choices.

As I said messing up system titles/ apps or nand will have a chance to brick console but using cfw normally won't. -.-'

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A way to do what on emunand?

Decrypt or dump partition of emuNand.

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States

I'd give you an applause and a darwin award if you managed to brick your shit on my CFW, lol. Theres no nand writing buisness in it at all, and all ways that could possibly send you to sysnand (i.e no emunand partition, using sysnand feature) will automatically read firm0 from nand anyways, so its only doing what the console would naturally do.

Reactions: thaikhoa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."