Which cart for kids

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Schadrak, Aug 25, 2008.

Aug 25, 2008

Which cart for kids by Schadrak at 6:03 PM (2,819 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Schadrak
    OP

Newcomer Schadrak Newbie

United States
    Sorry for the new thread, I saw a long one the other day where you put your intended use/etc and people replied with cart recommendations but I can't find it again..

So I need to get 2 carts for my kids DS's, ages 8 and 6. Its for their games, and for videos/movies for plane rides :-)

Price really doesn't matter, but I don't need a card with tons of features they won't use it and I don't use the DS's.

If possible I'd like to be able to use the GBA roms too.

Thanks.

2. mcjones92

Member mcjones92 Forest Fam

United States
    For them, I would go with and Acekard 2. Easy to use, and one of the best. Only downside, the build quality isn't too great, so they should be careful and not whip it across the room (I hope they wouldn't).

And for the GBA, get an EZFlash 3in1. It's compatible with the Acekard 2. Make sure to get the one that fits your DS. Like for the Lite or the Original.

3. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    Hmm. If you dont want something super high end with a ton of features maybe an EDGE would be a good card for you to get. I suggest reading GBATemp reviews for the Flash carts, They rate them on how well they are, Quality of the hardware ,What their features are, Prices, Pro's and Con's

Those reviews should help you out alot.

http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?dynamic=8

4. zhuzhuchina

Member zhuzhuchina GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    ez5 plus is a goog choice, maybe in future buy a ez5 3in1 slot too as expansion for gba and opera

5. IOwnAndPwnU

Member IOwnAndPwnU GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I'd recommend the Acekard 2 because it's for a good price and is pretty simple. They shouldn't even bother touching the flashcarts at all because they might try to take it apart which is not recommended because unfortunately they didn't glue but used clips. Don't worry though because they won't have time trying to break it while because they'll be playing. [​IMG]

6. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    well how old are these kids?

7. IOwnAndPwnU

Canada
    Did you read the 1st post? Ages are 8 and 6.

8. Schadrak
    OP

Newcomer Schadrak Newbie

United States
    I just read the review and didn't see any mention of being able to play movies with that one..?

9. Link5084

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

United States
    Go with the EDGE, safest choice

10. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    TTMenu running on the DSTT or the SCDS1 might not be a bad choice either (but the SCDS1 would require some setup on your part to install TTmenu). TTMenu is probably one of the simplest menus to use since it has no folders (it shows all .nds files on the cart in a single list). However, TTMenu doesn't run GBA games directly, so you'd need to use GBA ExpLoader to run GBA games.

The Edge is pretty easy to use, but it does require navigating folders. I believe the newest Edge menu supports direct loading of GBA games to the EZFlash 3-in-1.

-Bri

11. Vincent T

Member Vincent T GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you want gba games, then go with the cyclo ds and buy a 3 in 1 ez flash. You can get them both at dealwoot. [​IMG]

12. Zyenet

Member Zyenet GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The EDGE might be a good choice (can't say for sure, I never owned it, but I've heard good things), but I can say that the M3DS Real with the GBA Expansion Pack would probably be best, since it's simple enough, and can play GBA ROMs with the expansion pack.

13. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    DSTT on either the DSTT itself or the Supercard is the easiest most straightforward of all menus.

14. VISHI SO FISHI

Member VISHI SO FISHI Cricket My love!

India
    well as i am a r4 user and have a cyclods and a acecard...i still think r4 is the best out of em all
    but the problem is that real r4's are a bit hard to get now days as there aRE so many clones of it..

but if you can get your hand on one of the real one then i would defenitly recommend it..

-VISHI SO FISHI-- [​IMG]

15. JPdensetsu

Member JPdensetsu GBAtemp Addict

Taiwan
    CycloDS is easy to use [​IMG]

16. IOwnAndPwnU

Canada
    Yes, that's true but remember, these are for little kids and the guy probably doesn't want to spend like $50 for the flashcart and another $10 for the MicroSD. I'd recommend the DSTT because they're are no folders and just browsing so it makes it very easy to use. And it's WAY cheaper than the CycloDS. EDGE and Acekard 2 are other good choices too.

17. lurbi

Member lurbi GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    EDGE and AceKard2 are also very easy to use.
    And much cheaper. (~24$ from DX with worldwide free shipping)

Children do not need the additional features a SCDS1 or CycloDS offer.

18. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    With all due respect, I think your opinion would be in the vast minority. Can you tell us what features your R4 has that the CycloDS or Acekard don't have? Or do you consider the inability to use microSDHC cards or a total lack of updates or support "features?"

-Bri