Which android weather app do you use?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Superbronx, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Superbronx
    OP

Superbronx GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2019
    United States
    Mount Everwhite
    Hey all, my current phone is an android. For many years I've used a weather app called Weather bug. Our area meteorologist recommended it many years ago and it has always met my needs.

It has current conditions, 7 day forecast and radar /storm tracker. Only thing is, I'm a fan of open source apps and weatherbug is not open source. Every once in a while I look for an open source alternative but never find one that can rival weatherbug. There are some decent open source weather apps out there but they all fall short in one area or the other. Some have nice current conditions but no radar /storm tracker, some seem to have everything I need but are country specific (I.E. Germany, etc.) and not in English.

All the best ones seem to be closed source. What do you use? Which is the best? Any recommendations for open source for USA, with current conditions, 5-7 day forecast and radar /storm tracker?

2. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I don't know anything open source, but I've been using Weather Timeline for a while now. It conforms to Material design standards, has a radar, multi-day forecast, precipitation amount meter, moon phases, and so on.

Screenshot_Weather_20190625-183303. Screenshot_Weather_20190625-183413.

Superbronx likes this.
  3. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Apex Weather — only because it is included with the Apex Launcher.

I'm not sure about on Android, but Weather Bug on PC included a lot of adware/spyware so I stopped using it after a couple years.

Superbronx likes this.
  4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I use Weather Underground.

Superbronx likes this.
  5. Superbronx
    OP

Apr 30, 2019
    United States
    Mount Everwhite
    Weather timeline looks nice. I'll do a trial run. Thank you.

Thank you, Been so long since I used Apex, I forgot they have weather included. Definitely worth a look.
    Every phone I've had, I normally root it. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the custom roms include a decent weather app. I haven't encountered adware on the android weather bug but I'm always looking for something better and hopefully open source.

I've heard of weather underground. I've yet to try it but thank you for the suggestion. I'll give it a test drive.

6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Klara - the widget is clunky but I can live without, but the main app itself is very nicely done (and has almost more content than WP8's weather app!)

7. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    If you use an ad blocker you won't experience the tons of ads it comes with. It might be better now, but it used to be full of banner and splash ads. It wasn't intrusive, so not really adware, but the UI was pretty bogged down.

Superbronx likes this.
  8. Superbronx
    OP

Apr 30, 2019
    United States
    Mount Everwhite
    Well, I ended up going with, although it isn't open source, an app called 1weather. It has simple yet crisp visuals. It is very functional even in the free version. If you pay a dollar or 2 you can remove adds but you are right. Because my rooted phone comes with adaway, I never see the ads.