Hacking Where to start?

titchyyyy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've checked a lot of threads and I'm just so very confused.

I have a few questions, I'm wanting to buy a 3DS XL with the ability to play Pokemon & Mario games via torrents (the latest ones in 3D). What firmware do I have to aim for? Can you downgrade easily from 10.x to the required firmware? I refuse to buy a used console on eBay that is scratched so I'll be buying new (old version of the XL).

Do I need a flash card or can I just use an sd card to install CFW? I'd rather pay £0 than £40 to play the games.

Thanks for any answers...

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The recent kernal exploit allows downgrading from 10.7, which is the latest update. But you will need a way to get into the homebrew launcher (ninjhax or oothax) so that you can run the newest sysupdater. Ninjhax needs cubic ninja, and oothax needs Ocarina of Time. But if you get the 3ds on 10.3 (which you probably will unless you get one of the new bundles) you can just use browserhax. I have to go to work so I cant really explain more at this time. Hope this helps even the slightest.

Reactions: titchyyyy

titchyyyy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That helps a lot. I guess I can just look for a 3DS with 10.3 or below on it and it's easy to get CFW running on it quickly? I'm guessing anything with 10.4 and above would require more than just a simple downgrade?

Cha0s Em3rald

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Like Biff627 said above downgrading isn't a problem now whatever firmware you are on. The firmware you need to aim for is 9.2, once there you will be able to run a CFW like AuReiNand/rxtools etc. Buying a flashcard like Gateway isn't required

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a tip, if you are looking for an Old 3DS XL only (as in, not the *New 3DS model): most of them already come with 9.2 or below firmware, which means you won't even have to downgrade; you can just setup CFW without any risk of having a failed downgrade.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a tip, if you are looking for an Old 3DS XL only (as in, not the *New 3DS model): most of them already come with 9.2 or below firmware, which means you won't even have to downgrade; you can just setup CFW without any risk of having a failed downgrade.
That is true, but the N3DS XL is quite better than the o3ds, and It can handle games better as well. tbh, the new sysupdater is more reliable now and most of the bricks are user error. But most of the time you want to format the 3ds before downgrading if it has alot of games on it. Not formatting is usually the reason of sysupdater crashing (i said usually). Ive seen people that said they kept failing to downgrade and just formatting made it go first try. Even with the risk, if hes willing to buy a N3DS XL, theres always hardmods to fix issues that happen during this downgrade.

Reactions: samiam144

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Can I add a qualifier; brand new ones that have never been opened WILL come with less than 9.2 (8.1 max I believe). Used ones can have any firmware.

Reactions: samiam144

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb