where to put video files?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by DaMummy, Dec 13, 2010.

Dec 13, 2010

where to put video files? by DaMummy at 5:15 PM (955 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. DaMummy
    OP

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    i have some x264 1080 videos i would like to watch from my ps3, how do i go about doing this an easy way, they are above 4gb so a simple, place it on a fat32 drive wont work, is there a certain directory i can upload it to using ftp? is there a file splitter i can use for such occasion, and recommendations are welcome

2. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    You can use lossless reencoding to split your files up.

virtualdub for avi .mpeg streamclip for MP4, MOV .Avidemux for mkv,avi and mp4

I just use avidemux when the 2 first one dont work (close to never) but you might like it.

I you have more questions don't hesitate!

3. DaMummy
    OP

United States
    ya will this just encode to a lower quality or does it actually split them up before i go about and do anything with my files, and do i then play them part by part or can i add them in like a playlist of sorts? and once again, this is my first time playing videos on a ps3, internal/external/or bd, so where do i put the video files in my say, usb stick?

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Not need to reencode/transcode, you can just split files (similar to how some films come as several files) and it will only take as long as your hard drive needs to make the couple of gigs the new files will become. They will probably come in parts but I recall the PS3 had something in the way of playlists. If using a USB drive they can be anywhere you like.

The term splitter is more used for demuxing type purposes so that is probably not the best search term although these days the distinction is not observed that much.

MP4 can be done with YAMB and MP4box
    http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/MP4...uide_page5.html is pretty much what I would say (do note you will probably need to find a copy of mp4box but that is easy enough)

MKV (if you are leaving it as such) can be done with mkvtoolnix (just feed it into the mkvmerge program, if you are making something else demux the file and use YAMB mentioned above to make an MP4)
    I doubt they would have wedged H264 into avi (indeed I am unsure if the format can get that big) so I will cross that bridge as an when. There are simple tools and slightly better tools but a marginally complex method (pretty much just do it at a keyframe rather than in the middle of a GOP). The option to split is in the global tab.

Do note putting files back together is considerably trickier than splitting them.

5. Magsor

Canada
    Lossless means you don't lose any quality and its very fast because it does not reencode. I don't really like when people post after someone saying not to do what someone just told you to do.

If you go with fast answer its awesome but if you go with mine just choose a software and i will guide you thru it.
    Also it will be splitted up in parts the size you choose and you will need to play em one by one and putting them back together is really easy so you dont need to keep the originals(at least with virtualdub and mpeg)

6. DaMummy
    OP

United States
    guide me through avidemux, got an 7.94gb mkv file, want to split it in >4gb so i can throw it onto sdhc and play it on ps3, dont want to lose any quality, i got the 1080p release for a reason

7. WShep

Newcomer WShep Member

United States
    Errr...get yourself a 16 gig usb flash drive, format it as fat32, copy over the movie, and you'll have no issues. I backed up my ps3 to a 32gb flash and ran in to no problems at all.

8. DaMummy
    OP

United States
    one problem, fat32 cant do files larger then 4gb....

9. Magsor

Canada
  10. DaMummy
    OP

United States
    well i would like to thank you, unfortunately for some odd reason it just wont create the files, it seems like its working, but theres nothing in the folder i created it in

11. Magsor

Canada
    You forgot the part where it say open (in the tut)

12. DaMummy
    OP

United States
    ya what exactly would i do there, i clicked on open, found the dir i want to put them in, and saved it as, say ts1a.mkv, at the end it looks like its performing the "jobs" even though the jobs take no more than 2min each, and when its done, theres nothing in the folder where i specified to save it