Where to buy modchips for XBox?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Xbox' started by Splych, Feb 27, 2009.

Feb 27, 2009

Where to buy modchips for XBox? by Splych at 4:32 AM (3,262 Views / 0 Likes) 33 replies

1. Splych
    OP

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    Quick Answer xD

Title says...

2. velocity37

Member velocity37 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Divineo still stocks some chips, though that's the last I've seen of them.

At this point, I'd probably just flash the TSOP if I absolutely didn't want to softmod though.

3. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    Oh yea... Are there any other places I can buy mod chips for an XBox?

Maybe one that is near or in Canada xD

And a modchip that is solderless... I don't want to solder anything, but if there aren't any out there, the soldering ones...

4. Gumble

Newcomer Gumble Advanced Member

Canada
  5. gisel213

Member gisel213 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Dude softmod it get 007 mechassault or splinter cell 1st version and get to it at this day and time it's not worth
    putting a chip in an orginal xbox the amazing things a softmod can do without opening the system and yes you can
    put a bigger hdd in a non-chipped xbox thats the only time you would want to open it up....... either way you go
    it's your call have fun happy gaming.......

6. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    Here's the problem actually... I have no experience what so ever ~! Don't know anything about SoftModding... or what a 007 MechAssault is...

I think I am going to read some guides about soft modding, but continue giving some links... I need some guides on this... xP

EDIT: Now I know what 007 is... And all the other games you listed. Googled it, and I think I am going to teach myself how to soft-mod ^^
    I shoulda read this earlier, I just went to EBGames yesterday~! How could I miss it~!? Gah...

7. Inferior_Design

Member Inferior_Design GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I didn't think that there were chips for 360.
    I've heard that the only way to mod one is by flashing the DVD firmware

8. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    Not for the 360. I am actually looking for some mod chips for my old X-Box that just gets dusty in my basement.

Need some guides on Soft Modding xDD

9. velocity37

United States
    Most guides I can't link to, as they contain links to some not-so-legally built XBE files, however, there are two methods:

1. Buy an xbox action replay, an 8MB MS memory card, and an exploitable game (really cheap ones). Copy hacked savegame to xbox, load the savegame, softmod installer menu appears.
    2. Boot the xbox in such a manner that it unlocks the hard drive, unplug the IDE cable from the xbox and plug it into a PC, run software on the PC that will rebuild the hard drive with the exploit. Alternatively, if you already have your HDD key somehow, you can do the same without the hotswap.

If you want to look for some guides, then here's what you'd be looking for:
    Savegame method: Krayzie's Ndure Installer (recommended), or Softmod Installer Deluxe 5.01
    Hard drive method: Kingroach's Ndure 3.0 + XboxHDM

Also, solderless modchips can bring you some trouble. Recently the solderless chip on my old xbox got knocked out of place and rendered my xbox comatose. Luckily it was a 1.0, so I soldered a wire to switch banks to fix it, but it's just something to note.

10. Inferior_Design

Member Inferior_Design GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was interested in getting original XBox and softmodding it until I found out I could do it to my Wii.
    I might still do it though, since I can buy a used Box for $30.

A quick Google search came up with this result for softmodding an XBox
    XBox softmod tutorial

11. Zerrix

Member Zerrix GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Flash it with iXtreme 1.5 and save your money for something else [​IMG]

12. DarkCamui

Member DarkCamui GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Yeah if he would like to mod a 360 that is, if you paid some attention he said the original Xbox [​IMG]

13. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    Who knew soft modding your XBox could be this complicated...

@ velocity ~ Do I need an action replay? Those are really rare now... And I read in some guides that you only need a X-Box Memory Card (Made by MS) or a Action replay. And if anyone knows where I can get a Memory Card (By MS) and an Action Replay in Canada, post here please xD

@ inferior ~ Thanks for the link. I am looking into it now and finding out which version of the XBox I have

14. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Is a used xbox really only $30?? If so, I'm going to pick one up right away. I have read that it can emulate the n64.

15. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    Checked GameStop's website... Says they are $50 USD. But maybe it is cheaper instore...

==

Please stay on topic xD

I sorta wanna do as much as possible, so that tomorrow, I can get it ready,

16. DarkCamui

Member DarkCamui GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    You're better of with connecting a laptop, htpc or something similar for better quality and the use of hi-resolution graphics packs for some N64 games [​IMG]

17. velocity37

United States
    With any non hard drive mod, you'll need either Agent Under Fire, Splinter Cell, or Mechassault. These games can be found for very little money. There are platinum editions with specific codes on the disc that work, but it's best to get the normal edition to stay on the safe side.

You don't need an xbox action replay, though. If you buy an xbox to USB adapter, you can use xplorer360 to transfer the savegame from your PC to your Xbox memory card via your xbox controller.

You can also use a usb to xbox adapter to hook a small (compatibility is a little finicky) USB thumbdrive to your xbox to use as a memory card, though I'm unsure of whether xplorer360 will be able to read this. There were pre-made Xbox Linux USB images up for download, so there should be a way to do this somehow.

Also, I think that needing a M$ official memory card is a myth. I've used my 8MB action replay memory card that came with my USB action replay just fine for many softmods. It may be that later versions of the action replay don't like certain filetypes. I've always used Action Replay Xbox 1.31, which doesn't work with Vista though. Xplorer360 should have identical functionality, however.

18. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    that's why i brought one on ebay with the softmod already installed, maybe try your luck and buy a softomded xbox on ebay....

btw Splych if you are going to attempt to softmod your xbox install xbmc it's the best you can get for the xbox.

if you want to transfer files to your xbox look out for FTP you will need a ethernet cable and the software FlashFXP to transfer the files.

19. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    Thanks for the help velocity~!

Do you know where I can buy one of those XBOX to USB Adapters? And a USD to XBOX adapter? Sorry if I am asking too many questions or if I am rushing you... It is probably because I am in a rush too xD

20. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i think you will have to make the usb adapter yourself IE install/ make it, i did recomend you a alternative to use flash FTP instead without the need of a usb.