Where should I install Steam?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by WiiUBricker, Dec 26, 2015.

1. WiiUBricker
    OP

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    I got myself a shiny new gaming laptop with 2 SSDs.

1. 256 GB m.2 PCIex4 SSD, installed Windows on it
    2. 1TB SATA-III SSD

I'm about to install Steam, but need advice about on which SSD I should install it. My Windows SSD is obviously faster than my SATA-III SSD, but doesn't have as much storage space. I thought I use my Windows SSD for all apps and my SATA-III for storage. Any thoughts?

2. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    1TB

3. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Some steam games (Dark Forces 2 to name one) don't work nicely if installed in another directory other than the Steam install directory. You still most likely see no benefit in installing the main Steam client on the Windows PCI SSD compared to the mass storage Sata3 drive.

TL;DR. 1Tb

WiiUBricker likes this.
  4. Nightwish

Nightwish GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2013
    Portugal
    You're not forced to install the games in a single place, you can several game directories with steam - goto Steam menu, settings, downloads, steam library folders; when you install a new game, it will ask you for the library you want to use and you can change the default. If you want a particular game to be really fast, you can put it on your system drive. I don't like it Program Files since it's annoying to change/mod some games due to file protection.
    However, I don't think you'd notice a speed difference, to be honest.

WiiUBricker likes this.
  5. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    Yeah I don't like to store my games in Program Files.
    With Steam library folders, you can choose each game to go on a different drive if you want.

WiiUBricker likes this.