When should I buy a 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by g2n, Jun 29, 2011.

Jun 29, 2011

When should I buy a 3DS? by g2n at 2:43 AM (2,019 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. g2n
    OP

Newcomer g2n Member

United States
    Hey guys- New here- What are the advantages of buying a 3DS in concern to the homebrew community?

I figure buying a 3DS now would mean that I don't have updated firmware for when a 3DS flash cart is released.

However, it would be much cheaper to buy one later down the road when a cart is released.

I'm really only interested in buying one when a flash cart is released, but I suppose I could buy one to avoid firmware problems.

Your thoughts?

2. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Like people have said before, there is no point to buy a system if you just want to pirate on it.

Anyway, I think that you should buy a 3DS around February 2012, as most of the AAA titles that we've seen so far will probably release by then. Also, we'll have gotten a better look at the PSV to see which is "better".

3. g2n
    OP

Newcomer g2n Member

United States

Well, I REALLY want to play OoT3D. It is just an advantage of having free games, right?

What titles will be released? What is a PSV?

And I guess my original question would be: Does buying a 3DS now or later matter in the flash cart market? It's all about card firmware right? or DS firmware?

4. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I've noticed that a lot of people are concerned with updating the firmware of their 3DS devices for fear of future 3DS flashcarts not working. It should be noted that once a 3DS flashcart is released or an exploit is released that allows one to install some kind of "Homebrew Channel," that exploit likely will not be patched until after the exploit is released. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Anyway, if you're only interested in buying a 3DS if/when a flashcart is released, it is my opinion that you might as well wait.

5. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    PSV=NGP=Playstation Vita

6. ninditsu

Member ninditsu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well when a flashcart does come out, it will be uber expensive due to lack of competition, if the first manufacturer manages to keep the exploit a secret. thus cancelling out some or most the savings you get from buying a 3DS later on.

so i'm saying support the developers, buy at least the game and system you really want to play.

7. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    there is no homebrew scene atm with the 3ds its still very early, but if you want to buy a 3ds to play zelda then go ahead so you don't loose out.

8. Alex Salto

Newcomer Alex Salto Member

United States
    Wait until the real 3DS flashcard comes out and the NGP and Vita release...BTW, the price wont drop down when the flashcart comes out ..

9. g2n
    OP

Newcomer g2n Member

United States
    That's not the correlation I was trying to point out. The fact that the 3DS will be several months older may drop the price.

10. dangerboy

Banned dangerboy Banned

United States
    buy it now and save more money to start collecting games. you will probably need to be on whatever the current firmware is when the hack comes out. an older firmware will not help you. and you cant play new games on old firmware. sell your games if you want to when a flash cart comes out

11. g2n
    OP

Newcomer g2n Member

United States
    I've been surfing around the forums- When will a 3DS cart come out? It seems like it can be tomorrow or a year from now. At any rate, what is the status of it being hacked on a scale of 1-100%?

12. patz

Member patz GBAtemp Regular

Thailand
    Wait til Nintendo release the re-model one with better battery and camera.

13. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

that. plus there will likely be a price drop when vita releases.

14. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    when will my head stop itching?

oh sorry i thought we were asking random pointless stupid questions

15. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

that's not stupid. you should probably get some gold bond.

16. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    Well just buy it, you can pirate games but when I do I do not enjoy playing them. I feel bad for those who made it, so I prefer to it retail! [​IMG]

Also a 3DS Flashcard, it could be badly expensive you know maybe it will be the same like what happened to the Gameboy Advance flashcards.(in the past) they will become over $100 and too expensive. It can happen not it can happen what happens in the second generation of NDS flashcards the first flashcards were ehm difficult?

Also there is chance of a hack in the menu like on the Nintendo Wii where we have the Homebrew channel. Then there may be no flashcard needed.

But I leave the choice to you, you can buy it. Wait till a hack. You can wait until the new Playstation Portable(Playstation Vita)

But I would advice you to if you really love and like Nintndo games to jsut buy a console and spend your money on retail games. If you are unsure of buying games ask around [​IMG] Request gameplay movies etc. Also there are some shops who give try before you buy service.

But it is your choice! [​IMG]

17. g2n
    OP

Newcomer g2n Member

United States
    Thanks guys. Huge help.

The guy who stated that Nintendo will release a better one with a better battery/camera.. that got me thinking.

Nintendo has done this in the past. See DS, DS lite, DS XL, DSi, etc etc.

18. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    They did, it IS possible this happens again but there is a small chance this does not happen! Also you will need to wait about 1 or 2 years for a revision. [​IMG]

19. g2n
    OP

Newcomer g2n Member

United States
    That's a good point. I think I'll buy my 3DS this weekend?

Come to think of it- I don't really care for the whole camera system. I figure older models are always hacked anyways- so maybe it would be nice to invest now. What bundle/color should I get? I want to get Ocarina of Time for sure. =)

I don't care much for the Playstation handheld, I just sold an original PSP1001 the other day.

20. totalnoob617

Banned totalnoob617 Banned

United States
    yeah i want one but the only game i want that is out is zelda , i was going to wait for atleast 2 games like zelda and kid icarus,plus i can already see a new hardware iteration out before it turns 1yr old or just after ,and a better color selection in the near future too ,with my luck ill buy it and be stuck with what is the original ds equivalent of the 3ds ,when the next one will probably have a bigger screen and better battery and hopefully a 3ds in facing camera for 3d video chat, they already have a htc phone with the same autostereoscopic screen the 3ds uses but bigger and maybe better resolution,plus the more these screens go into other devices and wider use the more the prices will drop,and the more likely the 3ds will get a bigger less power hungry screen with better resolution,on the plus side if you just buy top titles like zelda and other nintendo titles like that they will not likely depreciate much if you decide to sell them when a flashcard is released